Notices

Sober but prescribed pain pills

Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober but prescribed pain pills

I have just over 5 months sober. My DOC was alcohol since I was a teenager and I haven't used any other drugs recreationally for about 4 or 5 years. (90% of that drug use was marijuana and 10% was opiates).

I had a surgery the other day though which has left me using hydrocodone to manage the pain. I know I need them for a little while because I only got a few hours of sleep last night because I hurt so bad. I can't really walk right now and even when I'm sitting I hurt. I am using them as directed, but I find myself getting excited when it's time to take one. This worries me!

I never became addicted to pain pills but I used to use them occasionally. I'd typically get a two or three 80 mg Oxycontins, crush them up and have a wonderful weekend doing nothing. I always kept a month between my usage though and luckily I didn't end up on heroin like all the people I did them with. Since then I purposely haven't touched opiates even when the docs have prescribed them.

I'm really worried that I'm getting excited to take one. My current plan is to cut pills in half when the pain goes down (okayed by the doc) and then expand the time between doses. And then dispose of any extras so I'm not tempted. (All this was discussed with the doc.)

Anyways, I know a few of you have dealt with this. Any suggestions or sage words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds to me like you are concerned and you've come up with a good plan and you've been honest with your dr. Presumably, you only have a small amount of pills to use temporarily, until the pain clears up. I don't believe that we should suffer in pain because we are alcoholics.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My doc is an Addictionist MD which mean he specializes in addiction but I also go to a sports medicine Doc. Both know my history. If I have to take pain meds my wife dispenses them to me because I do not trust myself.

I sure as heck know I would look forward to taking a pain pill because I am an addict booze or drugs it never made a differance. Do everything in your power to use non-addictive alternatives as fast as you can. Taking an opiate will light up your brain like a christmas tree.

A word of caution. It amazes me how little the medical community knows about addiction and you can get some really bad advice, even fatal advice. Find someone who has some background with substance abuse and be 100% honest.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

if you can trust someone to dispense them to you, I would suggest that. I had to take vicodin for a neck injury. In the beginning I didn't pay much attention to the buzz it gave me, because I was in so much pain. But as my neck healed, I looked forward to the next dose. Scared the heck out of me. If I didn't have a doctor that new my history and would not refill them (I had to take them for about 6 weeks), I would have gone down a very bad road. And I was never a pill popper.

So please be careful. That stuff is extremely addictive and will sneak up on you.