Notices

Clonazepam (Klonopin) and Alchocol

Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clonazepam (Klonopin) and Alchocol

Ok,
First let me say that I definitely have a problem. I have been on Klonopin for 10 years 4mg a day which while I have attempted once to quit that I would just as soon stay on that forever. Anyone can scream quit it now fool but that is a ridiculous long period to try and do both and it actually does well for my Social Anxiety still to this day.
However, I am a drinker who has been sober now for 2 days and I am wondering if I quit forever will it truly be quitting or am I always going to have the stigma of well you take a Benzo so it doesn't really count. I have heard this so many times on other websites. I know I should never have mixed to two together but the side effects of that long since went away (overdose etc). ANY help would be appreciated.
Thanks for this wonderful site btw.
Lee
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My suggestion is to speak with your doctor. I've never withdrew from benzos, but I hear it is tough and needs to be done slowly.
However, one thing at a time. If you think you have a drinking problem, then stop drinking. Use a support program (whether it be AA or something else) to help you through it. There will be those that say you aren't truly sober, but I personally think you should you speak to your doctor about how to do this.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's YOUR recovery and it's how YOU see it. Others opinions are just that - opinions.

I have a script for Klonopin. I don't abuse it & I don't even take it everyday. I don't consider it part of the problem I had with alcohol. I've had surgery and had percocet precribed for it. I took it for the pain and then I was done with it.

I'm not advocating Klonopin because every doc I speak to does not like to keep patients on it. It is habit forming and withdrawls from it are pretty bad from what I understand.

One step at a time...quit the alcohol then maybe look into having your doc decrease or taper you off the Klonopin? Just an idea...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

In my opinion like so many of us you are doing why too much thinking. Prescription drugs are not a problem unless they are abused. You may find that a ton of problems with anxiety and depression go away when you quit drinking. What others think is not your problem. Although I have not used benzo's I have been told in one of my less than successful rehabs that they are difficult to get off of. Fix your alcohol problem and see what happens with your other issues. Use and abuse are two differant things
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been on Klonopin before as well as Xanax. The Klonopin was definitely the lesser of two evils but still affected me quite a bit. What I found was it seemed to lessen my ability to say no. It didn't drive me to drink, but seemed to shut down that voice that says, "You shouldn't do this. You'll be sorry". It was kind of like taking that first drink for me. Once my mind feels that wave of calming then I just can't stop until I'm plastered.

It took me a while to quit the benzos. I had withdrawls for nearly a year with the worst being in the first 3 months. That was cold turkey though. I'd advise a taper if and when you decide to quit. Also you need to talk to your doctor because benzos are just as dangerous as booze to come off from.

Now as far as a "stigma".....I don't see this. There will always be people with opinions, but you are the one who lives your life and the only one who knows if you truly have a problem. If after talking with your doctor about being an alcoholic they still advise you to keep taking the klonopin and you feel comfortable with that then that is your decision. Just be honest with the doctor and yourself.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The medication you get from your dr is between you and your dr.

You don't need to convince anyone else that you are sober or not. Make it something you do for yourself.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had both problems - clonazepam (prescribed legally) and drink.

I stopped the clonazepam (5 - 10mg daiy) about four years ago.
I drank a lot too, an awful lot.

I had no knowledge of quitting benzo's and just stopped cold turkey.
It was a week to ten days of hell.
I'm not sure if I would do it again, without medical help or tapering!

I wouls say stop one thing at a time and when you have conquered it then stop the other.
I would also agree that it is between your doctor and you.
I also agree that yes in an ideal world we would take nothing that alters our brain chemistry or threatens our sobriety, but we don't live in an ideal world do we?
It's better to do well with one at a time, than fail with both.

I wish you the best xxxx
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking without a doctor's help is bad enough. Benzo withdrawal and alcohol withdrawal can and will likely cause a seizure. If you're quitting both, see a doctor and slowly ween off both, using the advice of doctors.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have always been prescribed clonazepam for anxiety at a dose of 2 mg twice daily. I take it as needed and went days without it. I only used it when my anxiety was crazy or could not socialize. I am taking the prescribed dose the last 4 dose since not drinking and get no high or any sensation from it except my heart rate returns to a manageable beat and I can function. I am not concerned about using it as needed.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Everydayrarity

What others think of your recovery is always less important than what you think about it.

We can certainly help you here with your drinking - and congratulations on the two days.

If you're not concerned or unhappy about your other meds, that's a good thing - if you ever become concerned, I recommend you speak to your Dr about it

D
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can only share my experience, and what I have seen and heard from others.

A decade-long run on benzos sets you up for some pretty nasty withdrawals. I also had a doctor prescribing me a elephantine dose of 20 milligrams of Klonopin, a doctor who would always up the dosage as benzos quickly build up a tolerance and actually cause anxiety in between doses. I started out on two milligrams, then four, then 10....all over a decode until I hit the magic 20 milligrams number.

You really need to quit drinking on top of the benzos. Alcohol plays on the same receptors as benzos, and quitting both cold turkey can set you up for some horrible withdrawals (guaranteed) and potentially seizures (I had 'em) and protracted withdrawals (mine lasted a year).

I have seen several people relapse on alcohol while taking Klonopin. Klonopin -- all benzos, actually -- work; they create that one emotion we all like, apathy, and for me that means, hey, why not drink?

Please do consult a doctor. I would recommend you get very comfortable in abstaining from alcohol and then find a doctor -- probably not the one who is prescribing you Klonopin for the past 10 years -- to help you taper off the benzos.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am prescribed 4 clonazepam a day 1 mg each and never took them while a drinking. I would actually take half of one at noon time and be drinking at 5:30 6. Anyway wanted to let you know today is 21 days for me and I take one half in the morning and one half at night because I am just scared to have a panic attack. When I was drinking 1 and 1/2 in the morning and one half at noon. Never took what I was prescribed but there were the days I would take 3 through the course of the day because I would feel anzy. Now If I dont remember I forget to take more than a half a day. Hope this helps that the drinking would make me feel so crappy and anzy the next day I was taking more than I needed.