Notices

Might Resign Today..Nervous

Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Might Resign Today..Nervous

So I saw my Dr. yesterday. I'm on Day 4, feeling and looking better. I'm in sales, and the pressure of meeting my " quota" has always led be to a bar after work or drinking at home. He suggested I just get out of it for my health. I said I have a mortgage to pay and he said, I'll be in a gutter with no mortgage worries if I continue to drink. I've got money in the bank and will find a more stable, salaried job, just nervous, have the letter in hand, waiting for boss to come in. Any words of wisdom would be helpful. By the way, I'm not meeting my quota so fear of being fired is also causing me to drink.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sales is such a high pressure job and I can understand why it lead you to drink. Do you have any other support system for recovery? AA? or some other program? It is always wise to run your ideas by someone else.

Good luck on any decision you make.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

can you go to rehab, take short term disability leave (getting paid) under FMLA?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are we too late for other suggestions?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

nope can't leave for a short period, I have clients I have to attend to, rather just hand them off
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

but you can still hand them off!
I was in the SAME situation. I really was. I was soooo concerned about everyone else. But I had some great advice from an outpatient rehab counselor and I finally took it. I'll never be sorry. I took short term disability b/c this is what it's for. it's not just babies and broken bones. You know? If you leave for good you have to pass them off anyway
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not in AA. But that doesn't mean I can't say:
You have to let go.

Get some help. You don't have to leave your job to get that help unless you want to. The problems will still be at the next job. So please consider using our FMLA laws, short term disability that can help you financially, and sort yourself out. Sure, you might still decide to quit your job but you'll have had a lot more than 4 days sober to decide that! and you won't worry about money each day!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I HATE it here, sober or not, it's not the right place for me, and I'd only be delaying the inevitable. I DO NOT want to be in sales anymore. Period, just nervous to pull the trigger
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand. I am thinking that short term disability will give you time and some income coming in while you decide what to do. Of course, you'll need to have medical reasons so outpatient rehab is a good option. Or any other treatment that your doctor can sign off on with the paper work.

Plus, I would really want to keep health insurance as long as you can, assuming you have it!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, and I'm CERTAINLY not blowing off an inpatient rehab setting. I think you'd get great benefit. But you need to keep your job to keep your health insurance to pay for it....
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dude, I have money, I'll by cobra, I'll get a new job, I'll be happier. Anyone else have any input?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Scray. I hope the best for you. I was a sales manager ro0r a bit, it was tough. Weny back to teaching. Also tuff. I guess life is but its what we have. Take care
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Whats scary is sitting heere for another month and not making money or be fired, while I could be out looking for another job
Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jedi...Your job is just that. It is a way to pay bills. It doesn't (or shouldn't) define us as people.

I am currently in a job I enjoy; however have been in bad jobs. Makes living very difficult.

You have to do what is best for you..Wish you the best!

Jim
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Jim, my family is behind me and is encouraging to leave and go find a happier place to work for the sake of my sobriety, health, and hopefully better job?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did the same thing....Made recovery my job. 15 months sober and heading to work shortly. I think your doctor is right.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know it is tough, and I am not recommending a course of action.

It sound like you have discussed this with the most important people in your life. That is what is important.

About 10 years ago I left a great job to move across the county to be closer to my family. It was hard, almost overwhelming at first. Now with hind sight I can see it was the best decision for me to make..

It is hard to have faith at the time. From your e-mails sounds like you have already made the decision.

If you do leave best to move on quickly. You have your family's support. Just need faith in yourself.

Jim
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you are following your heart and that will do you good.

Good luck with the job search.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

it sounds as if you've thought this through. You're not destitute, you have enough sacked away to meet the financial obligations and family support.

if you could get away with FL act to keep the insurance coverage, I would explore that. (my COBRA is over $680. a month)...you could be job hunting online while on disability.

I hope you find something with less pressure and aggravation too.