Notices

withdrawal question

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

withdrawal question

I was wondering, what are signs of serious withdrawal? I felt some confusion and dizziness today, I'd been sober only a day and a half. Should I check in for a medical detox? shakes and lack of appetite the other main problems. Oh, and racing heart. I gave in and poured a drink, which sucks.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Depends on what you are withdrawing from. Severe shakes, seizures, blackouts are the norm.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by qwerrt View Post
I was wondering, what are signs of serious withdrawal? I felt some confusion and dizziness today, I'd been sober only a day and a half. Should I check in for a medical detox? shakes and lack of appetite the other main problems. Oh, and racing heart. I gave in and poured a drink, which sucks.
I'd rather pour a drink than go into a seizure...I think the smart thing for you to do would be to get honest with your doctor about your drinking and look into what the best and safest way is for you to detox....It's not something you want to play around with.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I have called her and got an ativan prescription to prevent seizures. There's not too much else they can do though, is there? I went to a detox facility last year and was miserable, the food was awful and I couldn't sleep...I just wanted to be with my family.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Thanks. I have called her and got an ativan prescription to prevent seizures. There's not too much else they can do though, is there? I went to a detox facility last year and was miserable, the food was awful and I couldn't sleep...I just wanted to be with my family.
Detox is going to be tough. You might have to do it.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so scared...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I'm so scared...
You're going to be. You can do it though. It's amazing what you can do. It's going to be bad but afterwards you will be glad you did it.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If your doctor can give you the proper medication...I believe ativan is one they use for detox....My doctor in my medically supervised inpatient detox used Librium...It's the least addictive...Whatever anti-seizure mediaction they prescribe to you....I would highly recommend you have someone with you if you are doing it at home.....A friend or family member....I don't know what your drinking history is....But I do know people have died from it. If something went wrong....I wouldn't want to be alone....At least for the first 3 to 5 days. Talk to your doctor about it.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not trying to scare you qwerrt....I just kind of like having you around....I 'd rather see you be aware of what you are doing than not. Nothing wrong with being safe.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. It is really hard on my husband and he has to work tomorrow but maybe this weekend I can do it. I'll call my doctor back too and see what she thinks. I don't have any close friends or family here that I can ask for help.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Give her a buzz and run it by her.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi qwerrt

Noone here is a Dr - and I'd ask everyone to remember our medical advice rule

No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice... Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
If you're concerned about withdrawal I absolutely recommend you consult your Dr.

and...go and see her...this stuff is too important to be dealt with over the phone I think.

D
Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

yeah, i'd check with the doctor. i did medical detox twice. once at a regular hospital and once at a psych hospital. the regular hospital was actually pretty swell except for one of the drips they gave me. stung like crazy. they had me hooked up to IVs, the food was pretty nice, the room was great with a private TV, my husband could visit whenever and it was quiet. the other detox was awful. food was mediocre, no real medical care (guess my bloodwork was ok), was stuck in a psych unit (super creepy people), shared TV, not allowed to go outside until i got cleared....but mostly it was the other patients. the people there were pretty bad off. i was one of the few people there not suicidal or hearing voices or just not with it. but if i had to do it again, i would. you have to put your health first. bad food or inconvenience isn't worth your life. i've had seizures at home too. i'm telling you, if you fear for your life, you go. i don't mean to sound like a bully or anything, i just don't want people to experience what i have at home. i wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks...and sorry for soliciting medical advice, I didn't realize that it is not done here. I had the exact same experience with my hospital detox! It was so much nicer to be able to see my husband and kid, and they dope you up but good. There is a facility here in town that is totally open, you can have visits and bring your computer etc. but we make too much money would have to pay out of pocket.

The soonest I could get to my doctor is next tuesday. Hopefully I will feel better by then.

thank you all again for hearing me out.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I hope your doctor can help you thru a safe and more comfortable withdrawal.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

no problems qwerrt - we just want you to get the best help and advice.

We also don't want anything shared here on the boards to stop someone else from seeking the professional assistance they may need

I have a no doctor detox horror story like Grits' - not trying to scare you at all, but it can be very serious for some of us.

If you feel in any way concerned don't wait til Tuesday - see another Dr or go to the ER etc if you need to.

D
Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you, I think I will check in with my ER tomorrow after I get my blood tested.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're looking into getting medical help for your detox. I wish you well getting through it. It's tough of course, but remember that you never have to do it again.