Notices

Am I becoming an alcoholic?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I becoming an alcoholic?

I am beginning to wonder whether I'm a hypochondriac. I always have anxiety about something that might be wrong with me.

I'm 29 and for some reason I am convincing myself that I am an alcoholic. , I am a mom to a beautiful little girl who is my world...My husband and I both work full time and have never had any negative consequences from drinking...We usually drink a bottle a night (750ml) between the two of us and I've cut back by alot since the thought crossed my mind...My drinking diary is sunday, none, tuesday, glass and a half, wednesday, none, thursday, 1 glass, friday, 3 lg glasses and sat went out for a bachelorette and had 7 TINY glasses, sunday and monday, none, tuesday, one glass...

However, I am starting to get that horrible feeling of dread, have not stopped obsessing over this topic in my head for a week now, and I'm panicking.

I've asked all my closest friends and family and they said Im a social drinker with no problems.....Why wont this underlying thought go away.....My husband is making me have a glass with dinner tonight and I dont even feel like it because of my anxiety? He's making me have it trying to move that I dont have a problem...I had the one glass and that was it!

Please help!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

IF you feel you have a problem with alcohol, you probably do. Normal drinkers don't worry about the amount of alcohol that they are consuming. Standards for women are only one drink a day.. if you are drinking more than that, you might want to think about it. Also, you should not drink if you don't want to. Please do not drink becasue someone else wants you too. That will not get you anywhere except further down the rabbit hole.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AliciaG View Post
My husband is making me have a glass with dinner tonight and I dont even feel like it because of my anxiety? He's making me have it trying to move that I dont have a problem...I had the one glass and that was it!

Please help!
Your husband is forcing you to drink? You're a grown woman. Take the glass, dump it out and tell him you said "no".

Regardless, the best way to know if you have a problem is to stop drinking for a period of time, like 1 month, 6 months, etc. If you can stick to it, great! Maybe you'll go back to your 1 1/2 glasses and stop worrying. Or maybe you won't be able to stick with it.

Best of luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR AliciaG...It's enough of a concern for you that you're here....You can't listen to anybody else including your husband....You know. Tell him you want to stop for 90 days...If you can do that without a problem....Alcohol is not a problem for you....If you can't...Or you find yourself irritable, restless and discontent...You may have a problem you want to look into.....Here is a good read...Read The Doctor's Opinion and the first 103 pages....It sure woke this alcoholic up.....It woke me up enough that I got sober. Glad you are here...Some great online support here.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My advice is to stop listening to your husband and others. People who are not alcoholics do not understand. And, personally, I wouldn't let my husband 'make' me do anything that I don't want to do. Be true to yourself and if you're concerned you will find lots of support here.

It sounds to me like you're very concerned about this, so why don't you stop drinking completely for a fixed period of time, say two months, and see what happens.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Stop drinking completely for 30 days. If you can do it easily, then you probably don't have a problem. If you struggle, you might have a problem. If you just can't do it, then you have a problem.

That is certainly not a clinical diagnosis, but it will give you an idea of where you are. You can then act accordingly.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what logic tells a person to make someone else drink to prove there is no problem! Maybe HE has the problem? I mean I'm not trying to start a fight but other alcoholics (including your drinking friends) will never say you have a problem or are an alcoholic. They don't want to lose their drinking buddy or see something in themselves that they are trying to avoid.

Alcoholism is progressive. Here's some questions for you to answer to yourself to help out: 20 Questions of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dear AliciaG,

nobody knows the answer to your question about if you are an alcoholic really. But as everyone will tell you, if it is effecting your life, your mind, then please do something about it.

I know that my reason for coming to SR and questioning my drinking was because I saw my brother suffer so much over the past 15 years...I wanted to nip it in the bud before/in case I got that bad.

In the UK we have a lot of conflicting publicity (don't know if you agree UK'ers?) about safe levels of drinking. One week they say "this" much is ok and the next they say that "much" is ok! Most people opt to believe the best consumption advice, the one where you "can" drink more and feel safe...ahem.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If drinking is making you feel uncomfortable there is no reason why you shouldn't just stop doing it. This seems to be the only situation where people seem to feel the need to have concrete evidence that it's a problem before they quit. That's a problem in itself really.

Speaking as one hypochondriac to another... I had all sorts of health anxieties while I was drinking most of which have disappeared since I quit. Consistently drinking half a bottle a night isn't good for your health anyway and it may be that even small amounts is causing anxiety which you'd be better off without. Why not just quit for a bit to see if it helps you. It really worked miracles on my hypochondria x
Old 10-03-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

problem is that if you suffer anxiety the drink will be a way out and then take a slow hold.It seems if you worry about things you are an easy target for the power of alcohol to lure you in.
Please just try and leave it alone.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Alicia

some good advice here - it sounds to me like you're concerned about your drinking.
That to me is the most important thing here, and it makes sense to me for you to act on that concern.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I once went to see a counselor for my drinking problem and she told me to quit for awhile and if I was able to do it to reward myself by having a drink!!! I was, like, "WTF???" My point is, people who don't have a problem with alcohol don't understand the disease.

If you are concerned with your alcohol consumption, step back and take a look at it from a distance but do it SOBER. Also, read more around this site. If you find that you identify with people more and more, chances are you really do have an issue.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
My point is, people who don't have a problem with alcohol don't understand the disease.
I could not agree more. There are a tremendous number of medical professionals who do not have a clue about addicition. I have seen multiple times when potientially fatal advice was given.

Great advice, hang around and see if you relate to some of the stories. Not everyone has to hit the bottom I did before they get off.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zapped

You are not an alcoholic! however you could slowly become over the next few years if you drink like that on most days of the week. I'd recommend only drinking once a week say only on saturday night or at a weekend social occasion and you'll be fine.

Here is a good post..if you start saying yes to many of these its time to talk to someone.

*****************.wordpress.com Functional Alcoholic Signs
Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome to sr. no-one can tell you you are and don'tlisten to peopl who say you aren't.

to me, labels don't matter. what matters is how drink affects you, is it affecting your health,is it worrying you, doyou think you have aproblem?

how canyour husband makeyou drink?does he pour it down your throat.you can say no!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR.

Nobody here can tell you whether you're an alcoholic or not. We get the question quite often and my answer is always to try not to focus on the 'alcoholic' label if you can help it right now. If calling yourself an alcoholic is what the real problem is then look at it another way - you're concerned about the amount of alcohol you're drinking. The usual response to someone's concern about something health related is to do something about it. If I put on weight I diet and exercise, for example. If the only issue here is that you drink a little too much alcohol a few times a month, then maybe it's best to cut it out for the time being to see where you're at. Give yourself 30, 60 or 90 days (90 days is a better indicator) and if that's no problem for you then great, no problem! If it is, you've probably got your answer and you're probably better off without alcohol at all.

If you're unhappy with something you're doing, if it's making you anxious and depressed, there is no reason at all to continue doing that something unless you are unable to stop.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You keep a drinking diary?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A bottle 750ml a night between the 2 of you of what? Is it wine or hard liquor? If your a daily drinker and drink more than 2 glass of wine at one seating then your health will not go too well. A social drinker is different to a daily drinker.

social drinker - someone who drinks liquor repeatedly in small quantities

daily drinker - someone who drinks everyday