Notices

New here. Day 1

Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here. Day 1

Hi guys, I'm new here and back on day 1 again. I stopped successfully for a little over a month without the support of AA or NA. That is actually a bit of a hard option for me though, as I live in a country at the moment where I don't speak the language. I guess that's what brings me here.

My life is way too good for me to screw it up right now. I have an amazing girl, whom I plan to marry, and really don't want to consider what it would be like to lose her to this.

I typically can go for about a month, before I slip up again. I don't know what happens really, it's like I don't even think about it at all and then WHAM, right back at it again.

Anyways....I look forward to talking with you guys.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hi Michael,

Firstly congrats on making it to the forums. Is there any reason you have not tried AA/NA meetings bar the language barrier?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Natom.

I used to go to AA meetings with a lot of people in San Diego (where I just moved from this year). AA helped me a little, but I never did the 12 steps, and honestly, I'm not quite sure if it is for me.

One thing I have never tried, but will be trying, is religion. There is an English speaking Catholic church for expatriates who live here. My gf is Catholic and we can't marry if I don't join, so why not, right? It is about the only thing I haven't tried, aside from full on rehab.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

The reason AA probably didn't help is because you didn't commit to the steps. I personally use a mixture of NA and church in my recovery. They both overlap with each other. If you believe in God then working the steps of AA/NA etc can actually increase your faith quite dramatically.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Michael, welcome! I can definitely relate to the month thing, that has been the case with me. I think that's the thing that gets us, we get comfortable and the cravings die off, and then we think we are invinceable! I'm on day two and so I'll be counting my days with you. We can DO IT!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I will consider doing this in the future when I move to my permanent location in Slovakia, but right now I think the church is where I will start. I have never given a confession before, so I think this will be a good way to get some things of my chest and start dealing with this issue a little more. It would be nice to have the support of a group, but it might have to wait. That's what brings me here. I wanted to feel like I could somehow be among people who understand.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

You gotta do what you feel is right for you buddy.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KaeHot323 View Post
Hey Michael, welcome! I can definitely relate to the month thing, that has been the case with me. I think that's the thing that gets us, we get comfortable and the cravings die off, and then we think we are invinceable! I'm on day two and so I'll be counting my days with you. We can DO IT!!!!
You are absolutely right. It's weird though, I never was one of those guys who needed a drink to get through the day, I just binge drink and it changes me and makes me do stupid things. I'm still trying to figure this part of myself out.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What I really need is to have some inspiration from some success stories of people who have ACTUALLY been able to work hard every day and actually beat this habit. How often do you hear of this? I guess I'm tryin to say I need the faith to REALLY do this like it needs to be done.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by MichaelUSD View Post
You are absolutely right. It's weird though, I never was one of those guys who needed a drink to get through the day, I just binge drink and it changes me and makes me do stupid things. I'm still trying to figure this part of myself out.
A friend of mine binges once a week. But when he binges he ends up in jail or the hospital. The problem is still there you're just manifesting it in a different way than the daily drinker.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
A friend of mine binges once a week. But when he binges he ends up in jail or the hospital. The problem is still there you're just manifesting it in a different way than the daily drinker.
Yeah I understand that. An alcoholic is in alcoholic regardless of their differences in patterns. I have actually been to jail and to the hospital, quite a few times in my earlier years. I haven't had an incident in quite a long time, though. Maybe I just chilled out with age, but the problem still remains that I have a terrible habit.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by MichaelUSD View Post
Yeah I understand that. An alcoholic is in alcoholic regardless of their differences in patterns. I have actually been to jail and to the hospital, quite a few times in my earlier years. I haven't had an incident in quite a long time, though. Maybe I just chilled out with age, but the problem still remains that I have a terrible habit.
Well the first step to solving a problem is by admitting their is a problem in the first place.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
Well the first step to solving a problem is by admitting their is a problem in the first place.
There is no doubt that I have a serious problem. Now I have to figure out how to solve it. How did you get to 5 months, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to SR, Michael, glad to have you here. Congratulations to you on your decision.

Make no mistake about this, people quit drinking every day, and for good, you just don't see a lot of them here on message boards. They are busy and get on with life, I guess.

Set some serious time aside to look at the posts that other people have made. You will be able to take much comfort in reading and identifying with those that are just like you. You can also look to see how these folks have made the transition to sober living.

Some have chosen a spiritual path, believing that a higher power will do something that they cannot achieve by themselves. As a new convert to Catholicism, you will see many parallels to 12 step programs, in particular to the Sacrament of Confession, or Sacrament of Reconciliation as it is known now. An examination of conscience, a perfect act of contrition, a prayers for mercy, absolution and forgiveness, the performance of acts of penance, and the covenant to live in a closer relation with God, all find similarities in 12 Step methods.

There are alternatives to 12 step methods that do not rely on the 12 step concept for sobriety. You can look into SMART, LifeRing, SoS and AVRT to name a few. You mention that you have tried everything other than 'full on rehab'. Did you look into any of these secular options? Any counseling? Have you asked your Dr about quitting drinking?

I hope you find the support and acceptance you are looking for here at SR, and that you keep posting.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Michael

SR really helped me stay on track in that difficult period when you feel great again and you wonder if you had a problem in the first place.

It's difficult to argue against that when you have all your posts and threads before here to read - not to mention other peoples as well

I can think of no better inspiration that reading around here - also check out this forum too:

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Welcome to SR, Michael, glad to have you here. Congratulations to you on your decision.

Make no mistake about this, people quit drinking every day, and for good, you just don't see a lot of them here on message boards. They are busy and get on with life, I guess.

Set some serious time aside to look at the posts that other people have made. You will be able to take much comfort in reading and identifying with those that are just like you. You can also look to see how these folks have made the transition to sober living.

Some have chosen a spiritual path, believing that a higher power will do something that they cannot achieve by themselves. As a new convert to Catholicism, you will see many parallels to 12 step programs, in particular to the Sacrament of Confession, or Sacrament of Reconciliation as it is known now. An examination of conscience, a perfect act of contrition, a prayers for mercy, absolution and forgiveness, the performance of acts of penance, and the covenant to live in a closer relation with God, all find similarities in 12 Step methods.

There are alternatives to 12 step methods that do not rely on the 12 step concept for sobriety. You can look into SMART, LifeRing, SoS and AVRT to name a few. You mention that you have tried everything other than 'full on rehab'. Did you look into any of these secular options? Any counseling? Have you asked your Dr about quitting drinking?

I hope you find the support and acceptance you are looking for here at SR, and that you keep posting.
Well I pretty consistently saw a psychologist and a psychiatrist while I was in college up until May, when I finally graduated. I made a lot of improvement to my mental well-being but of course we didn't address Alcohol solely. So yes I have tried counseling.

Thanks for the really awesome reply. I agree that there are a lot of parallels between the Catholic church and the program. I was just reading about those exact things you mentioned.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Michael,
I did three months of AA as well as here and made it to two years plus so far. I did not leave AA because of any problem, in fact I still drop by my old home group once or twice every six months or so to let them know that I am still doing very well indeed. I just took what I needed and do my payback here. Anyway, having lived in Europe and with ski instructor friends from Zagreb I know that many Europeans speak English better than many Americans! So I checked for you and there are several English language AA meetings in Zagreb. Go here:
Croatia

Now lest you think I am being pushy, remember I am no longer in AA. But if you are going to become a Catholic as I was raised, then the one objection always raised about AA, that it involves having to believe in God ( which it really does not) should not be a problem. AA is a great clearing house for local info and resources and to find others doing the same thing.

I just use here on SR now. Many just used SR and had good local support, and others none but here. I envy you as when I was in Europe the Yugoslavian disintegration was in full swing. Old bad blood since about 900AD. There is some great skiing and Scuba diving in the region.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm one of the success stories you want to hear about and it's in the stories forum if you're interested. I'm coming up on three years sober soon with the help of my addiction counselor and the good people on SR. And I used to think I was hopeless but I was wrong.

You can do this.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Michael!

We're glad you're here! I learned a lot about staying sober from everyone here. I usually come here once a day - it inspires me and reminds me why I need to stay sober.

One thing that helped me when the urge to drink came up, was looking at what I was thinking/feeling. If I could identify it (stress, boredom, whatever), then I could figure out other ways to deal with the issue.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Michael,
How are you doing today?