Notices

Treatment Facilities Advice for Noob

Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Treatment Facilities Advice for Noob

So we're beginning the long journey of getting a family member to stop drinking. We're looking for a treatment place and I have no idea of where to begin.

He has pretty good insurance and usually goes to Florida in the Winter (he lives in Illinois). So I was thinking of something in Fla -- near a beach or something -- but how do you know what's good? Is there a Yelp or something for Treatment places where you can read reviews/ other people's stories? Is there some place where he can have his wife stay with him?

I was also looking at Mayo treatment at their clinic in Rochester -- I mean you can't go wrong with Mayo right?

So yes, just starting out trying to get all the info I can. Any help much appreciated.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hazelden is wonderful. I can't say enough about my experience.
I'm pretty sure they have an inpatient facility in Florida. I know they have one in MN and OR. They have a location in Chicago (only outpatient and sober living) which would be great for continued support. I've heard of other good ones in and around IL but I don't know their names offhand.

Does your family member want treatment? It's going to be tough if he's not ready to quit. If he doesn't want help, treatment isn't going to do much good. I know that's bad news but it's true for most alcoholics. I'm not saying he wants to be where he is either. He's not a bad person, for sure! I'd guess he's miserable deep down. But if he's not ready to recognize the grip his addiction has over his life, all the love and support isn't going to be enough.

Check out the Friends and Family thread on this site. There are some really great resources here for you to use. I wish you all a great outcome!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It would probably be a good idea if you allow the family member to do his own search for a treatment facility.

For support for you, please check out AlAnon and our Friends & Families forum.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by illusiumd View Post
So we're beginning the long journey of getting a family member to stop drinking. We're looking for a treatment place and I have no idea of where to begin.

He has pretty good insurance and usually goes to Florida in the Winter (he lives in Illinois). So I was thinking of something in Fla -- near a beach or something -- but how do you know what's good? Is there a Yelp or something for Treatment places where you can read reviews/ other people's stories? Is there some place where he can have his wife stay with him?

I was also looking at Mayo treatment at their clinic in Rochester -- I mean you can't go wrong with Mayo right?

So yes, just starting out trying to get all the info I can. Any help much appreciated.
As mentioned by others let your family member make the call.

If they want sobriety they will make the arrangements... if they don't want sobriety you are just wasting your time/money.

Does your family member go to AA? The oldtimers there will be able to set him/her straight.

All the best.

Bob R