Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

I'm New - How to communicate in a relationship with a 60-day recovering alcoholic?

I'm New - How to communicate in a relationship with a 60-day recovering alcoholic?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly, my apologies ahead of time if I am not in the right place.

I'm looking for guidance on how to communicate with my boyfriend who is two weeks out of in-patient rehab. We aren't kids - we are in our 40's but we have been through Hell during the past three months.

I found him with 24 hours left to live, it took me two police officers to get him to the ER, he spent 15 days in ICU, 3 days in the Cardiac Unit and then was transferred to a 28-Day in-patient rehab. He volunteered to stay an extra week and is now back at home for the past two weeks but still attending Out-patient treatment. He is Sober and Alanon has helped me tremendously to understand the disease - I know it is his choice to drink or not - unfortunately, if he takes even one drink his pancreas will shut-down and he will die in the matter of hours. Knowing that makes me very worried but I am not nagging him about drinking.

Our problems stem from a lack of communication related to our relationship. The therapist told me to be honest and truthful. He has told me to open up but when I do it is disastrous.

- He shows me his out-patient worksheets and tells me that I have all of the issues on them. It's possible that I could benefit from what he is learning but he talks to me in an agitated, patronizing and unkind way that makes me paralyzed and very unsure what to do or say. I request we wait to discuss that with his one-on-one therapist.

- He says he loves to do and say shocking things to make me red but when
I try and explain that it embarrasses me or makes me uncomfortable - at his best he continues the behavior but at his worst he calls me psychotic, or says in an extremely condescending voice - "Seek help now, you are in serious trouble."

- He told me that the drinking started with a couple of drinks to take the edge off of uncomfortable social situations - I can relate to that feeling.

-When I get into uncomfortable situations, I will decline the activity or politely excuse myself but he cannot let it go. He will shout across a crowded pool - "Jesus - you look fine - get in already" and when I can't do what he is expecting he makes an ordeal about leaving and then ignores me for hours. Or privately while we are being flirty or romantic touch my face and say - "Huh, I see you are breaking out." It feels like he wants me to open up learning where I'm vulnerable so he can intentionally zing me when my guard is down.

He doesn't have a filter in social settings - he just does or says whatever he wants and then when I (or others) are hurt or angry at his behavior he is uncaring that he caused any harm to them just talks about how flawed they are.

I would like to be in a healthy relationship where I can trust my significant other but it seems as though he can be either adoring and sweet or ignoring and ugly.

I realize in the macrocosm he has to deal with staying sober without the luxury of a relapse and the gender, relationship issues are secondary but it still hurts. If we don't address it now, when will it get worked out? He can never have a drink again without the threat of death - I can't be expected to endure a relationship of bad treatment for the next 50 years.

Does 20 years of alcohol abuse cause men to be intentionally mean to loved ones even when they are sober or will it just take time for him to balance himself out?

Any helpful techniques or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been where your at: WHEN I was married....
I educated myself about alcoholism, addiction and mental abuse

My X went to a 28 day rehab, AA classes following - FAIL began to sneak his drinking again.
Moved away, drank for another year - FAIL lost his job
Went to a 90 rehab, AA classes following - Say's he is sober but yet his behavior changes are still a FAIL

I had to decide, if I want to live with it or if I could live like that anymore

He's SUPPOSE to be 9 months sober now - His "thinking", his "way out there comments"
are still there....Dead Brain Cells, if you ask me...

QUESTION #1
How to communicate with someone that wants to get sober?
or
QUESTION #2
How to communicate with someone that is nice, wants to get sober, change their behavior problems, find peace in their heart, make amends to the ones they have hurt,
get a healthy mind, soul, heart, stop blaming others, finding out and dealing with their
own physcological problems, childhood inner defects?

2 Different Questions ..........
Work on you.......and you will clearly be able to see the difference.

Alcoholics, are good at making you feel like the crazy, unworthy, lunatic
It's called, MENTAL ABUE, MANLIPULATION, CONTROL, ETC....

Dont buy it!

Your dating.....PLEASE!!! Dont think marriage, or having his child or buying a house
together will fix it....He will be an alcoholic for the rest of his life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep on posting, reading and find yourself an Alanon class locally. You can find
them by searching your town on the internet..

Dang, I wish you luck with that one......I wasted 17 years of my life, thinking it
would go away...it only got worse...
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My X is still MEAN.........And I "WILL NOT" ever be treated like that or talked to like
that.....EVER in my life.............NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my case - It never went away
And in alot of cases....They have to work on ANGER, for alot of years, if not the rest of their lives......
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hug to you - you clearly care about him and are in pain. In my experience, and very unfortunately, love is not enough. You can't save him no matter how much you care about him and love him. NO ONE can save him, except himself.

Alcoholics are master manipulators, it is part of the pathology. That example you gave (shouting at you at a pool, with other people around) is what I always thought of as gas-lighting. (crazy-making and mentally abusive behavior). You don't have to accept that behavior. It is not normal, it is not healthy, and it is certainly not kind. It is the behavior of a very sick alcoholic.

In my experience (married for 15 years to an A, I moved out 3 weeks ago), an alcoholic in recovery is VASTLY different than an alcoholic who is simply not drinking. An alcoholic in true recovery would not behave in that manner.

Bobby J's questions are a perfect example. The A in question 1 is a dry-drunk, or white knuckler. The A in question 2 is in recovery or is actively seeking it.

Like them, in order to become healthy, we have to seek out and work hard for our own recovery. That I too had a problem was a difficult concept for me to grasp. It took a couple of years of therapy,Al-anon meetings, and multiple family counseling sessions(provided at the multitude of rehabs my AH went through) for me to really understand that my behaviors were unhealthy for me, AND unhealthy for my AH!

It is best and healthiest for those of us who are involved with addicts/alcoholics, to step out of the way of the freight train of addiction.

Focus on yourself as best you can. It's good you are here.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by SilentScout View Post
Does 20 years of alcohol abuse cause men to be intentionally mean to loved ones even when they are sober or will it just take time for him to balance himself out?

Any helpful techniques or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.
Welcome to the SR family!

You are in the right place, so pull out your keyboard and make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed.

It is a common belief that alcoholics are emotionally stunted adults. The quit maturing emotionally when they began actively drinking. That means, you are dealing with a 40 something with the emotional maturity of a teenage boy!

Will he balance himself out? Hard to say.

A saying in the rooms about abrasive personalities is: You know what you get when you get a horse thief sober? You get a horse thief.
In other words, a jack ass will still be a jack ass when you take away the booze. The real recovery begins when the alcoholic learns to control their reactions to life and begin to respond with maturity. Some folks never learn to mature and grow in recovery, they remain abrasive jackasses.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks very much Bobby J for your post. I was feeling like I was doing something wrong all the time - always readjusting myself. He never seems to understand my perspective when I try and "open up" to him - he just uses it as ammunition.

When it's good - it's great
but when it's bad - it's unbearable...

I am in local alanon meetings but learning what works or doesn't for others is helpful too.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Amoosebitmysister - Tomorrow afternoon we have another session with his counselor and I am trying to get my thoughts together for it. I want to be succinct and not everwhelming.

He keeps telling me I have control issues because I do not want photos of myself posted on Facebook. I work in the legal/law enforcement field and posting any photo is a security concern.

When he was drinking he posted photos of me in a bikini on his boat without my knowledge. I only found out because a mutual friend mentioned it and I asked him to show me the photo. I felt completely betrayed. I told him he didn't have my permission to publish or distribute my image and asked him to take it down.

He told me I did not have the right to tell him what to do and to get my stuff out of his house. I did and for a week we didn't speak.

I received a series of strange text messages from him how he wanted to blow his head off and I was concerned - so I checked on him and that's when I found him and got him back to the ER.

I say all of this because while he was in rehab we met with his counselor and I told her I was very mistrustful of him because of that incident. He apologized and promised he wouldn't do it again.

Last week he posted a photo of himself but with me in the background! I wanted to throw-up because I then saw he NEVER deleted the other photos. I thought it was resolved. Now he is calling me controlling and that I just need to lighten up and get over my need to control him.

I am very cautious with what I say and how I say it. I don't nag or argue. I gather my thoughts and calmly do my best. It never seems to work though.

I am not trying to control him, I just don't want my photo on the internet.

Is this a contol issue of mine or his? How do I express myself properly tomorrow?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Abrasive! Thank you. I was trying to describe it. That's it. The analogy really helps too.
Thanks very much Pelican!!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay, so hopefully when you are feeling strong enough and have hit your bottom you will RUN from this guy. What you are describing is way over the top mental abuse which is going to stay whether he is sober or not.

Work on YOU and get empowered to get away. The stuff he is doing is not anything that can ever be worked out, it's too over the top. You are worth more than being someones punching bag.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm the mom of a RAS. The drinking made him moody and more short tempered but never mean and narcissistic like you are describing. I'll agree that it is crazy making dealing with an alcoholic- they make you question reality frequently and wonder if *you* are the one wrong or going crazy.

IMO, your basic personality traits are embedded and I doubt your BF is going to change that much by being sober. The example you give about facebook shows he is incapable of thinking about you and your feelings. (I'm also one that doesn't want my pic on facebook, so I relate.) He is way out of line here. It is NOT you.

I know easier said than done- but get strong and realize you deserve way better than this.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

He sounds like a bully to me...a person who wants to control anothers every thought and life process.

Me, I'd tell him to take a hike and move forward with my life, if it requires that much work to have a decent relationship, there will be no happy future.

As for his drinking, he will be an alcoholic all his life, it is just a matter of whether he is working a strong recovery program and sober, or not, that's it. Being sober won't change who he is, an azzhat is an azzhat.

IMO life is too short to have to go through all these girations.

Good Luck!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you Earthworm, DollyDo and WorriedMama!

I had that gut feeling that something was off but when I talk to his counselor she tells me that recovery takes time and he is dealing with a lot of guilt and embarrassment for putting me and everyone through this ordeal.

She also said I would benefit from counseling and that I needed to go to a CODA Alanon meeting but when he comes home from group therapy he tells me EVERYONE in the group including the therapist thinks I could have handled situations better and that I need to get counseling immediately.

That makes me uncomfortable that these semi-strangers know my personal information but yet they never get my perspective. It makes it very awkward for me to go to the recovery center for appointments now knowing this.

I am working on myself. I started Alanon the first week he was in rehab, went to one-on-one but it's cost prohibitive to continue right now so I am researching related topics and trying to break my own cycle.

"In Recovery" makes me feel like he is fragile and I should temper my emotions when around him. He says things like "This is becoming a trigger for me. I need to make an appointment to talk to you about this in two days." Two days! How therapeutic is living in silence for two days under the same roof?

So I stop engaging. Alanon teaches Detachment, I used it the other day when he was brisk toward me in the grocery store - I just walked back to my car, drove back to the house and did what I wanted to do. I didn't respond to his text, when he got home and asked why I left? I simply said "I used an Alanon technique called Detachment."

It worked in that moment. I am not seeing how that is beneficial to communicating in a relationship though. It seems like it will detach me out the door and out of the relationship not teach us how to be in a healthy relationship.

It sounds like from you all that is our fate - eventually it will just dissipate.

How sad that after all we went through - it will end anyway.

I am so grateful in finding SR -Thank you all for your guidance!!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No. My RAH was an active alcoholic for 35 years. We've been together for 20 and he has said exactly one unkind thing to me (it was about my weight) in all of those years. When I cried, he cried because he felt so bad and he has never been mean since. He's kind hearted in general.

Your man is not. He's mean and he's going to stay that way. I'm not one to shout, "run!" from the hilltops because I think many relationships can be saved and end up good in the long term, but yours is not one of them. Look at what he's doing to your self esteem.

You are worth more than the emotional abuse you are being subjected to. He isn't your responsibility. Please leave.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello, I read your post in the other forum and I'm so glad that you found friends here. I'm new to this so couldn't advise where you should go. I agree with the posters here- there are those with manipulative perhaps controlling personalities, take away the alcohol and those traits will still be there. Guard yourself. You are your number 1 priority. You may love him but he does not deserve your love when he treats you so disrespectfully. The facebook incident is outrageous! How dare he ignore your wishes. Sounds like a dangerous, controlling person. As an outsider I would say walk away. Obviously you have invested in this relationship but in the words of Janet "what has he done for you lately"! Stay strong
Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

he tells me EVERYONE in the group including the therapist thinks I could have handled situations better and that I need to get counseling immediately.

That makes me uncomfortable that these semi-strangers know my personal information but yet they never get my perspective. It makes it very awkward for me to go to the recovery center for appointments now knowing this.
That's a bunch of alcoholic BS.
He is likely deflecting, blame-shifting, manipulating and trying to keep you down with his words. Unfortunately, those are common traits of alcoholics.

My money is on the fact that his group told him that HE could have handled situations better and HE needs to get counseling right away!!

What a bully!!

You deserve to be treated with respect as an equal partner in this, or any, relationship.

Please keep reaching out for support for YOU. YOU are worth the effort.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've heard almost 99.8% of the same word's that you have heard
and the picture and nasty mean post, on facebook. Yep, been there too!!!

Imagine if you were me, sitting here reading your post. What would
you tell me to do??? What would you think if I continued to live in that abuse??

DO THE MATH - Your a smart woman

#1 Underlying Mental Issues + #2 Alcoholism = 3 CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY

3 CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY - #2 Alcoholism = #1 Underlying Mental Issues

That's how it work's. AND he has some HUGE underlying mental issues if you
ask me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you cure them? Nope
Did you cause them? Nope
Can you control them? Nope

A normal relationship with him??.......Go back and read your post

Keep on posting on this site, especially, if your not keeping a journal.
In a couple of weeks/months you can go back and read it. It will surprise
you, on how much you are growing and learning that this guy is total jerk, not just
an alcoholic. WHY? Did I say that?......Because, I learned that my X is a nice guy too,
but.....His underlying mental issues, caused from his childhood and damage to his brain
from alcoholism, he is what he is, alcohol or no alcohol. I use to blame all of his actions
on "Alcohol".......9 months sober and he's still acting the same way. He is who, he is..
Just like you are, who you are....

Alcoholics try to blame you for their problems!!! Instead of going back doing
work on themselves. Like starting from their own childhood issues, it's
easier to blame you...

Defect's, Underlying mental issues are NOT the same as a personality!!

How long have you been dating him? Do you live together?
Is your finances connected together?

If you find time today - Read up on ABUSE!!!
Search words like: Men who verbally abuse woman and the damages that it causes
I think you will find alot of your answers in there

I would love to tell you, to be like the gingerbread man and RUN like hello
But...Ive been where you are and I understand sometimes, its hard to do that
depending on your situtation. It all takes time for you to figure it out, just like
it did me.

Now, I live in peace. No more mental games or mental abuse. No more names.
and no more "WALKING ON EGG SHELL'S" afraid to say the wrong thing.
I will NEVER live like that ever again!!!!!!!!!

Me and my dog's have a happy, peaceful life
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds like the counsellor also needs CODA Alanon meetings too. Doesn't sound like she's very impartial.

if you aren't comfortable you aren't comfortable period. Sound slike you are getting the crappy end of the stick from everyone not just the A.

Thank you Earthworm, DollyDo and WorriedMama!

I had that gut feeling that something was off but when I talk to his counselor she tells me that recovery takes time and he is dealing with a lot of guilt and embarrassment for putting me and everyone through this ordeal.

She also said I would benefit from counseling and that I needed to go to a CODA Alanon meeting but when he comes home from group therapy he tells me EVERYONE in the group including the therapist thinks I could have handled situations better and that I need to get counseling immediately.

I am working on myself. I started Alanon the first week he was in rehab, went to one-on-one but it's cost prohibitive to continue right now so I am researching related topics and trying to break my own cycle.

"In Recovery" makes me feel like he is fragile and I should temper my emotions when around him. He says things like "This is becoming a trigger for me. I need to make an appointment to talk to you about this in two days." Two days! How therapeutic is living in silence for two days under the same roof?

So I stop engaging. Alanon teaches Detachment, I used it the other day when he was brisk toward me in the grocery store - I just walked back to my car, drove back to the house and did what I wanted to do. I didn't respond to his text, when he got home and asked why I left? I simply said "I used an Alanon technique called Detachment."

It worked in that moment. I am not seeing how that is beneficial to communicating in a relationship though. It seems like it will detach me out the door and out of the relationship not teach us how to be in a healthy relationship.

It sounds like from you all that is our fate - eventually it will just dissipate.

How sad that after all we went through - it will end anyway.

I am so grateful in finding SR -Thank you all for your guidance!!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you for using some Alanon principles to deal. Great beginning! When you are in the thick of the CRAZY, and ALL of us here have been, it is incredibly hard to see clearly.

As my therapist said to me, just yesterday "If a good friend was telling you your story, what advice would you give?" Think about it. If your sister was living your life, what would you tell her in love and concern?

I agree with many of the posters above: MEAN IS MEAN. My A is of the same stripe, drunk or sober. He takes pride in being a "mean motherf*(er". He is 62 years old. Or, emotionally, maybe 15.

It is so hard to realize that you may have walked a LONG way down the wrong road. But the bright side is, you can always turn around.

If you stay, I hope things even out for you. If you go, his behavior will most likely get (much) worse before it peters out. Just my E,S,H.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Scout - are you attending Alanon? I assume you are because you're doing a great job considering.

I just recommended this to someone else (probably because I just read the chapter) ..... if you haven't read the chapter "To The Wives" in the Big Book, you should consider it. You can read it online, no need to have the book.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, SilentScout. Many good things posted here already, so I am going to just say hello, keep coming back, and check this thread out. Its from the newcomers to recovery forum here, and the 7th post down is a great copied article on getting sober.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ons-sober.html

Your boyfriend has a long way to go, and he sounds mad as a wet hornet right now, with you as the bulls-eye. It's going to take a lot of patience and compassion from you right now if you want to stay in this relationship. It seems this man is finally having to experience emotions and I imagine it is a most uncomfortable place to be.

Hang in there,
~T