Notices

Bizarre trip to the grocery store

Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bizarre trip to the grocery store

So my wife asks if I can make a trip for her to the grocery store to pick up a few items. I'm restless and have all this nervous energy that I need to get rid of so I say sure, why not, it is a good excuse to get out of the house for a little while.

The list my wife give me has 15 items on it with about half of the items needing to be a specific brand because she also sent me with coupons for those items. Much like most adults in their mid forties, this is something I have done litterally thousands of times in my life. No brainer, easy task right? WRONG!

I was so scatter brained and wandering around in a mild state of confusion for 45 minutes, and had to call my wife 4 times to ask her where to find things in the store. The whole time I am thinking to myself, how can you be so bad at such a simple task.

On the drive home I had to laugh at myself and admit that being in a fog brought on by my brain adapting to the loss of it's daily dose of alcohol sure beats the heck out of the fog I have lived in for so many years with my brain soaking in alcohol.

Day 9:
Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Wow can I relate to all that ...

Nice post, and its fun to be able to laugh at ourselves and get to see it from the sober view..

Keep it up .
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Colorado man,

I know exactly that feeling! I have had it in the store also.

Believe me...it gets better......
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought I was the only one! I shop every week at the same store I've been going to for 15 years and couldn't find the ketchup for 10 minutes during my first week of sobriety. Funny how I used to find everything no problem with a raging hangover.

But...I'd rather be lost and sober than superwoman and hungover!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember that well, Colorado! It was a crazy time - but a huge relief to be dealing with brainfog vs. being wasted. You're doing great - a sense of humor sure helps.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hehe...i still catch myself in that fog from time to time. It gets a lot better though!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dang sounds like my post. I left ny grocery bag in the shopping cart today.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hah! I remember in my first month or so sober the clerk at a store asked me if I wanted to fill out a servey about my shopping experience. I looked at her and kindly said it's too much, too much, how much do I owe you? She was so confused by my confusion! I told her I couldn't answer any more questions for the day and just wanted to go home. I paid my bill and was on my way. I laughed at myself all the way home! My poor wife deals with me acting strangly in stores all the time. I find people keep their distance and I am more comfortable that way! Just thought someone might enjoy a laugh too!:rotfxko
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for reading and responding to this. It sure doeas help to know that I am not the only one dealing with this. It also helps to hear that even when I feel so NOT normal right now, it appears that what I am feeling IS normal. God bless and good night to all. See you all on Day 10 tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

About 3 months in I started exploring aisles of the store that I had ignored all through my drinking. I kept seeing stuff I hadn't had in years. I just started buying random items if I got the urge. Like raisins and fruit roll ups and there was a special: 1 lb of strawberries for $1.50. I bought 3 lbs. When I got home I started trying all of it and it was like eating it for the first time. The strawberries were sooo sweet. Sweetest strawberries I ever had. It was amazing and that shopping trip is one of my favorite memories from really early sobriety.