Notices

17 days and feel like crumbling inside

Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

17 days and feel like crumbling inside

after detox at rehab, i felt great for a week or so but starting yesterday, started getting down in the dumps. i guess i was on a "pink cloud". so when i was down yesterday, i went to a mtg and felt good for about 20 minutes after. i tried sending up prayers and even went to church! though i didnt stay, not my thing. i realized i was hungry angry lonely and tired. so i went home ate and tried to sleep, but no dice. today i felt good for the morning then crashed and the next mtg i can get to isnt til a few hours from now. ive heard of the term "emotional hangover" and guess this is one? no matter how much i pray or hit a mtg i cant get outta my head. my doc said he thinks i might be bipolar but ive never seen him while i was sober so he hasnt officially diagnosed me.
im just wondering are these rapid ups and downs typical in early recovery? im on several psych meds for the depression and anxiety... i just dont know what to do with myself. i go to mtgs called friends in the program and pray, but still wanna crawl outta my skin.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You say you've gone to meetings, you have prayed to your HP, you've called your AA friends, and that you have never seen your Dr. while sober. Do you think that a visit to your Dr now is worth a try?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Early recovery is rough. Sometimes worse than rough. Horrible. But the only way it gets better is to stay the course. It really, really, really does get better. I know, a cliche, but it's true.

But it doesn't get better when you are on the roller coaster of using, detoxing, clean a short while, relapsing....over and over. If anything, the withdrawals get worse with every relapse.

Quit while you are ahead. Make this stint your last one.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thx, ill just hafta have faith that what everyone says is true and it will get better.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Early recovery.. sucks.. but think about it this way.. you only have to do it ONE time.. You never have to do this again! My sponser always says it is easier to stay sober then to get sober.

Stay the course. Do you have a sponser? It gets better honestly!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SOL

17 days probably seems like a lifetime but it is pretty early in the journey.

I certainly found it took a while for me to level out emotionally...and a little longer than that for me to feel 'normal' and comfortable sober...but I always felt better than I did when I was drinking and drugging.

If you don't feel that way maybe that visit to the Drs is a good call? at least you could put your mind at ease over what this is exactly?

D
Old 10-01-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sickofliquor View Post
my doc said he thinks i might be bipolar but ive never seen him while i was sober

im on several psych meds for the depression and anxiety...
I'm no doctor but from what I have read it is not unusual for people to need to have their doctor recalibrate meds after ceasing alcohol.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thx, ill just hafta have faith that what everyone says is true and it will get better.
That's absolutely what you should do It does get better. Take a leap of faith and see what lies ahead for you sober. I always tell myself that no matter what the problem or emotional state, drinking is never going to solve anything...

I had lots of ups and downs early on and was recommended to keep a journal of how I was feeling. That really helps me, and I am sure it would be useful for your doctor too x
Old 10-01-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi SOL. Around the 3 weeks mark I started to experience headaches for no reason, and my mind seemed more fogged than when I was drinking, but the phase passed. (I got through a lot of cups of hot tea and pieces of cake at that time).
Please stick with it, it will get better. As you're also on psych meds though, seeing the Dr sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are right where you should be amigo.

Please stick around.

Thanks for sharing this - that's good progress.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Well done on your sober time,it will get better for you.

Early sobriety is a roller coaster of emotions.

I think a visit to the Dr would be a good idea.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

after detox at rehab, i felt great for a week or so but starting yesterday, started getting down in the dumps. i guess i was on a "pink cloud". so when i was down yesterday, i went to a mtg and felt good for about 20 minutes after. i tried sending up prayers and even went to church! though i didnt stay, not my thing. i realized i was hungry angry lonely and tired. so i went home ate and tried to sleep, but no dice. today i felt good for the morning then crashed and the next mtg i can get to isnt til a few hours from now. ive heard of the term "emotional hangover" and guess this is one? no matter how much i pray or hit a mtg i cant get outta my head. my doc said he thinks i might be bipolar but ive never seen him while i was sober so he hasnt officially diagnosed me.
im just wondering are these rapid ups and downs typical in early recovery? im on several psych meds for the depression and anxiety... i just dont know what to do with myself. i go to mtgs called friends in the program and pray, but still wanna crawl outta my skin.
Stick close to your sponsor. Try to help the other newcomers in their struggle.

Don't spend too much time alone !! If you spent time in my head when I'm spinning it would scare you.

Read the Big Book. Read the 12 & 12.

I went to 7-10 meetings a week in the beginning.

Pray ... and be walking to a meeting while you're praying.

I felt the same as you in the beginning. You can do this if you follow the oldtimers.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As others have said, recovery can be a roller coaster of emotions.

I'm not a doc or trying to give medical advice but I am on medications for mental heath. In my experience, I've have had to make changes to my medications, but I was about 6 months into sobriety before changing anything. A visit to the doc to update meds or just discuss about your sober state is a good idea.

If your mood gets too unbearable or unstable, make sure to call a help hotline or go to an ER (if your doc isn't available).

Congrats on the progress btw!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I remember having a lot of early nights in the first few weeks.
I had to get out of my own way, if you know what I mean?

My sleeping, which I did a lot, I got away from a lot of the thoughts I had and the feelings.
I was lucky in that when I stopped my body could not get enough sleep.
By 8pm my eyes were closing.
Then after a while it became second nature to go off and occupy myself elsewehere or do something else.
But it all takes time.

I wish you the best - you are doing great!
xxxx
Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ive had a few emotional hangovers this last 7+ weeks. It's riding the wave. Maybe check in with your doc it couldn't hurt.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Totally normal to be so up and down at first. It takes a while for our brains to adjust to normal functioning and it can be rough. But as long as you stay sober it should get better. If not, see your doctor for a check up.