Notices

Day 1- I'm a drunk, an alcoholic. I need to stop.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1- I'm a drunk, an alcoholic. I need to stop.

For most of my adult life I have abused alcohol to the point where I continually drink until I black out. This has caused financial and physical problems. While I have always maintained the facade of a successful professional, the truth is I suffer from depression, am anti-social, and have failed to establish any meaningful relationships. While this may not all be due to my alcoholism, I have no doubt it is a huge part of it.

I need to stop drinking and I need help.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.Glad you are here.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Underthevolcano View Post
While this may not all be due to my alcoholism, I have no doubt it is a huge part of it.
Welcome to SR...I've been where you are....And I will agree it does have a huge part in it..For me most of it. I had to make some major changes in my life....What are you willing to do to stop for good?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank like you do, and managed to stop. I joined this site five years ago, after a lifetime of adulthood drinking, and have been sober two years eight months. So it took me awhile to get it.

What has worked for me, is to think that first drink through to the end, and the misery it'll bring.
AA has helped many people, but if you anti-social, it may be hard to attend. I hope you can overcome that fear and take that first step of walking throuh the door of an AA meeting. You'll find lots of people just like yourself. There are other methods, too.

Anyway, no matter how low you've sunk there are ways out. Post here as often as you like, and read the posts. Look for similarities in the way people drink.

I lived a miserable existance for a long time. I hope you don't get to the point I did.

Best to you.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! We're here to support and encourage each other and we do that pretty darn well, I believe. Make yourself at home, read and post.

It took me a while to 'get it' too but I'm nearing three years sober and much happier.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Underthevolcano and welcome to SR.

You've admitted the first step with your drinking problem, huge step.

It really is great being sober. Just a day at a time and you;ll get there.

SR is a great source of comfort and knowledge for me, so too is AA.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Your depression may be caused by your alcohol consumption, or you may need medical treatment for your depression. Either way, two things need to happen: see your primary care physician, and stop drinking. Start with the Dr.

Since drinking never happens when we are not conscious, drinking is always under conscious control. Can you not drink for a second? How about not drinking for a minute, the next 60 seconds? No problem right?
Since you can do that, can you choose to not to drink today? If that is too long, can you choose not to drink in the present moment?

You can choose to quit, and decide to do it now. In fact, whenever you get around to it, it will always be 'now'. How about 'right now'?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
AA has helped many people, but if you anti-social, it may be hard to attend.
It wasn't easy for me....I'd been isolating for two years straight....I wasn't crazy about the idea of walking in there either. I had to do a lot of things I didn't want to do to get sober....I guess if it was easy...We wouldn't be here.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your kind words and thoughts. I am going to bed and made it through the day without a drink.
Exercised, cleaned, and ate right.
I know that mid-week and the weekends are the hardest parts. In the past, I can go a few days without a drink but tend to make up for it when I do in volume. That is the part that concerns me.

I realize that I have other issues besides my drinking but feel that it is a major part in those issues.

Hope to be here again tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I'm just about two weeks out. The first 5 days were the worst for me. Nightmares, abdominal pains, and headaches.

The last few days I have felt better than I have in ten years. I feel best about being sober for my daughter's birthday on Saturday. It's amazing how much fun you can have sober.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day one is always a good place to start. Welcome
Old 10-01-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Underthevolcano

Coming here is a good start - you'll find a lot of help support and encouragement.
Do you have any kind of a plan to help you stay sober?

D
Old 10-01-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank like you. I've been clean and sober for over 2 years. I was able to stop drinking for short periods, but i could never stay stopped. AA helped me do that. I could not stay sober without it, although there are people who stay sober other ways. Find what works for you, but try AA. Many millions find it works for them. If you are nervous of going, find your local AA helpline number and give them a call. If it works like it does here in London, someone will be able to come meet you and go with you to your first meeting. That takes a bit of the fear out of it.

Before i stopped drinking, i was diagnosed with bipolar, severe depression, acute anxiety disodered, self harming disorders, personality disorders. All of that went away when i put down the bottle. Hopefully, you will find the same thing. Even if you don't, it will surely be easier to deal with sober.

Stick with it. x
Old 10-01-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck. Day 1 for me also, haven't gotten beyond 3 consecutive sober days in years. There's an October group if you're interested. Lets all stay strong!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

God, your post sounds familiar. Hang around here--a huge support for me.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Under,

Three days was my record until a week ago when I, like you, decided drinking probably wasn't doing me that good and should be stopped. We're all in this together.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Go to your doctor and talk about your depression. It would be your best start to get sober and stay sober. Good luck and welcome to SR!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Unhappy Hi Underthevolcano

wow...so happy to have found someone on day 1....I relate. I am so happy you also decided to talk today.

I am a closet alcoholic..it has gotten really really bad...I now drink spirits straight and I need to stop. I look awful and feel awful. My boyfriend doesn't know and I am scared. Today is day 1 and I want to tell him but I am so ashamed. I ask myself how will I live without alcohol. I feel like ok I can probably stop drinking but not when I go out and I know I have to because I have such an addiction. I have been a drinker for many years but now I have hit bottom. I need advice please..so bad. My parents would be shocked and they will wonder if I go to their house and dont have wine with dinner. I also wonder if I can ever have fun going out without alcohol. My boyfriend could care less about alcohol and is always the dd. He would never drink again if it helped me I know that. Sitting here crying because I feel so lost. (my kids know I drink but know they have no idea how bad it is...or maybe they do)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR missingtheoldme....Let me just tell you there is hope....I thought the same things you are...You can get out of it....I'm glad you are here.