Notices

Finally my introduction

Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally my introduction

Hello All,

I've finally decided to formally introduce myself here on SR. I've been following the forums for a while and have posted a few times over the past couple weeks but I've never actually shared my story. As today marks 3 weeks sober, I feel it is time to tell my tale.

I'm a 34 y/o father of two beautiful daughters and husband to an amazingly loving and supportive woman. I've struggled with alcohol and drugs for over 13 years now. But my true issues started when I was much younger.

My father has been a severe alcoholic for my entire life. I have no memories of him not being drunk, stumbling, slurring his words, or urinating all over himself. My mother suffers from a personality disorder, and has had her struggles with alcohol as well (though she has been sober for 12 years following a drunken mishap that left her in the hospital with reconstructive surgery to her arm and shoulder). They divorced when I was ten and she promptly remarried an alcoholic who had an inferiority complex which he often times took out on me. I moved out when I was 16 and have supported myself ever since.

I was an over achiever in school. Graduated top of my class, went to college on a full scholarship, and graduated there as Valedictorian, all the while working a full-time job. I married my high school sweetheart while in college and began working several high stress jobs following graduation. I bought a new home, several new vehicles, and many high priced 'toys'. All of this was done to prove to myself that I was "not like my parents". Then the trouble started.

I worked so many hours that my marriage fell apart. After my divorce I married a girl that was all about having fun, which meant lots of parties, bars, and friendships with people whom I would have never before associated. I had always been so driven to succeed that I hadn't any experience of that type of lifestyle, and at first it was great. I convinced myself that I was owed this time of fun because of all of my accomplishments. I even convinced myself that alcohol was fun, and not the life destroying menace I had known it as during my childhood.

Quickly I went from occasional social drinking, to weekend partying, to a nightly drunk. This lead to severe anxiety issues that I sought professional help for. The psychiatrist put me on Xanax, and that is when the true calamity began. I quickly became addicted to the pills, increased my drinking, and began throwing all of my responsibilities and reason overboard. I began using other drugs, and a short time later ended up in jail for crashing my new truck into a light pole after an alcohol, Xanax, and Ambien binge. After getting out of jail I ended up in the ICU on a ventilator after a nearly successful suicide attempt. I bounced around several mental hospitals over the couple years following, while simultaneously losing my house, my cars, my job, and my wife. I was finally diagnosed as bipolar, and then heavily medicated. Yet, I continued to drink through all of this.

I slowly began repairing my life. I contained my drinking to a "functional" level and got myself reestablished financially. I remarried and hid my mental illness and alcoholism very well for a couple years. My daughters came along during this time, and I felt I had gotten myself and my addictions under control. But as we all know, as long as alcohol is a part of your life you really have no control.

I ended up leaving my family for another woman who was an enabler. This took my wife by total surprise. She had no clue the demons that were inside of me, as I kept hidden the progression of my alcoholism and bipolar.

I spent the next couple years after destroying my family in a codependent relationship, where I gained addictions to opiates and THC, which in-turn fueled my alcoholism and mental illness. After losing my job yet again and exhausting myself trying to maintain an opiate habit, I left the relationship and relocated to be closer to my kids, who I barely saw during that time.

I sought treatment for my bipolar, maintained a very brief spell of sobriety, and reconditioned myself physically. Sadly though, I began a series of short and destructive relationships with women I had meet from an online dating site. This lead to me drinking again, and using drugs on occasion.

However, I remained functional in my life, regained financial stability once again, and began working through several self-help programs. This lead to the mother of my children and I repairing our relationship and remarrying. The relationship is far more stable then it ever had been and I began working on being the father I had always hoped to be.

Yet through all of this I remained a closet alcoholic and drug user, though to the outside world I appeared to have it all together. It has been taking a toll on my psyche and my body living this way, so at the beginning of 2012 I gave up all the substances except alcohol. But finally on September 11th of this year I decided I have had enough. I spent the summer in a near constant stupor and saw myself slipping down the slope again. So after a lot of soul searching and talking openly with my wife, I stopped. Today marks 21 days alcohol free. I'm on no other drugs, except for a lithium orotate supplement to keep my bipolar under control which is working really well. 21 days of total sobriety....the first 21 days in over 13 years I can say that. I was so afraid of quitting, with coping without something to alter my mind. But I've done it now for 3 weeks and feel better than I can ever remember. Of course the first few days were a nightmare, but once the withdrawals eased up and the racing thoughts quietened down I have felt fantastic. A weight has been lifted and I realize I no longer have to carry a monkey on my back. I've learned that I can live without an addiction. I can walk on my own two feet, coping without a crutch to hobble me along.

I want to thank everyone on this site for their posts. The strength and motivation that I have gained from reading everyone's stories have been the catalyst to my sobriety. I'm amazed by how many people's stories I can relate to. Knowing I am not alone in this fight has been the single greatest encouragement I've had during this entire process. Without it I am positive that I would still be feeding the monkey that has had a strangle hold on me for so long.

As I continue on this journey I am sure there will be times of struggle, but I am confident that as long as I have the support of my family and those here on these forums then I will make it through. Namaste.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Turt.... Very honest post. I can appreciate what it takes to see one self in the light needed to get help and stop drinking. It's taken me a while to see myself that way but glad I have before I killed myself.

I am happy you have found some peace with your current wife. Family support can be vital to the process.

Glad you are here. All my best to you.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your story Turt...this is great:

A weight has been lifted and I realize I no longer have to carry a monkey on my back. I've learned that I can live without an addiction. I can walk on my own two feet, coping without a crutch to hobble me along.
That's what it's all about,IMO

glad to have you here, Turt!
D
Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Turt, and congratulations on your sobriety.

Being bipolar is challenging enough, but then throwing substance abuse on top of it....that's tough.

I hope that you have a good plan in place for continued sobriety, including working with professionals, and taking your meds without fail.

Again, welcome.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best in your sobriety.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unhappy You have just inspired me turt

I am a closet alcoholic..it has gotten really really bad...I now drink spirits straight and I need to stop. I look awful and feel awful. My boyfriend doesn't know and I am scared. Today is day 1 and I want to tell him but I am so ashamed. I ask myself how will I live without alcohol. I feel like ok I can probably stop drinking but not when I go out and I know I have to because I have such an addiction. I have been a drinker for many years but now I have hit bottom. I need advice please..so bad. My parents would be shocked and they will wonder if I go to their house and dont have wine with dinner. I also wonder if I can ever have fun going out without alcohol. My boyfriend could care less about alcohol and is always the dd. He would never drink again if it helped me I know that. Sitting here crying because I feel so lost. (my kids know I drink but know they have no idea how bad it is...or maybe they do)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the introduction, Turt!

I'm really glad you have your bipolar under control with the medication. It's wonderful that it's working for you. I know you will find support here for your alcoholism.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((turt)) - Congratulations on 3 weeks!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, turt, for sharing your story. Congratulations on three weeks!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Missingtheoldme,

Yes you can do this. You may have been a closet alcoholic but you don't have to be closet sober. Let others close to you know that you are wanting to quit. I'd advise seeing a doctor too. I didn't because I was ashamed and I realize now I had put myself in danger. Alcohol withdrawals are serious business.

Your loved ones will want what's best for you even if they can't relate, so you shouldn't look at your commitment to sobriety as shameful. It is the best thing you could possibly do at this point for yourself and your family.

And you can absolutely have fun without alcohol, but that will come with time as you become rooted in your sobriety. You will get used to living in every situation sober just as you've learned to live them drunk....the only difference is now you'll remember them! So good luck with your sobriety and remember you are not alone. There is a whole community here to help you on your way.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, this is inspiring.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Always nice to have another sober Ohioian

Thank you for your post , and keep it up..
Old 10-01-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Missing, glad you found sr. As for what to tell others, I have just been saying, "I'm on a diet.". But mostly I've just been avoiding those situations for now. You could just tell your agents that you don't feel like drinking any more and lately it's been making you sick, which would be the truth. Good luck and congrats on deciding to seek sobriety!

Thank you for sharing your story, Turt.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well done, turt. I'm sure your words will help and inspire many newcomers and everyone else, too. I agree with you about not feeling alone after coming here. I began to heal after I realized there were many just like me - people who would understand with compassion, and not judge.

You have really been through it for a young man of 34 - be proud of yourself for not settling for a life of addiction and misery. You've pulled yourself up out of hell, and you will have a wonderful new life.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So happy for your turt

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story & all of the best in your recovery. We are all here to support each other on our journey.

Take care & keep posting ~NB
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Bravo! Good for you with 21 days. Its nice to hear that you have stabilized. Heres to you my friend (glass of water toast). Thank you for sharing your story and Welcome to the family of SR! Keep posting and sharing.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome turt and thanks for sharing your story
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

But as we all know, as long as alcohol is a part of your life you really have no control.
So true.

Welcome to SR turt, I'm so glad you're here.

Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on making this decision and for your sober 21 days. I'm so pleased for you.

Keep going... it really does just continue to get better and better

All the best to you!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, man. I can tell you graduated top of the class. Your writing skills are on fire.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by turt View Post
Missingtheoldme,

Yes you can do this. You may have been a closet alcoholic but you don't have to be closet sober. Let others close to you know that you are wanting to quit. I'd advise seeing a doctor too. I didn't because I was ashamed and I realize now I had put myself in danger. Alcohol withdrawals are serious business.

Your loved ones will want what's best for you even if they can't relate, so you shouldn't look at your commitment to sobriety as shameful. It is the best thing you could possibly do at this point for yourself and your family.

And you can absolutely have fun without alcohol, but that will come with time as you become rooted in your sobriety. You will get used to living in every situation sober just as you've learned to live them drunk....the only difference is now you'll remember them! So good luck with your sobriety and remember you are not alone. There is a whole community here to help you on your way.
Thank you Turt...I appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I spent some time last night in chat here and some wonderful people helped me muster up the courage to let my secret out to my boyfriend. I cried and he listened...he supports me 100% and is by my side. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. Not quite sure why yesterday felt like the bottom for me but it was and I somehow very excited. We have a lot of engagements coming up and I will get through them minute by minute. You are and everyone else are inspirational...so happy for you and me lol...keep you posted. Have a great day