Notices

Alcohol reward points

Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Alcohol reward points

American Express advertises that you get rewards points with every purchase that you can use to buy stuff.

I used my card to always pay for my drinking. I also would buy food on it after i got drunk because i could not cook for myself. I racked up over 50,000 points. Yes that's one point for every dollar I spent.

Rewards?

I was rewarded every time I got blackout drunk and that was almost every time.

I was rewarded with a bank account that has less than a weeks pay in it at all times.

I was rewarded with liver issues that I cannot repair.

I was rewarded with relationships lost.

I was rewarded with bangs and bruises in the mornings from falling down and not remembering.

I was rewarded in so many ways thanks to American Express.

So to really reward myself I got $500 in gift cards to a department store.

Now I am going to reward myself with new bed linens, clothes, bathroom towels, and stuff for the house.

I want to get rid of those points that display prominently on the bill each month so I don't have to look at them as a badge of my actions. I will start collecting than again soberly.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

These upbeat threads you create, Ken, are way awesome!

You so totally present as one who is enthused with living a clean and sober life notwithstanding whatever challenges may come. Way inspirational, and I want YOU to know how I feel about your contributions on SR.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow thanks RR. I had no idea I was upbeat! I typically ramble along my path unaware of a lot of things. But you made my day with that!

Ken
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Ken, optimism always come through in your posts, even in the ones where you are feeling down. You always have a plan, and always have the attitude that you will attack the issue.

I think it's a good idea to have tangible evidence of your progress. Every time you look at one of the new items you'll be reinforcing the idea that quitting has positive results for you and your environment. Also good to find new ways to reward yourself as opposed to drinking as a reward.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What else is there to do but be positive. Am I going to lay down and die because I aman alcoholic. No. I am going to accept it. Change what I do and where I go. And move on with the many things I can do.

I have been fighting it a lot recently and that fight is doing more damage in addition to what the drinking did.

Time to get it together as best I can.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are a philosophical soul Ken...although I can often feel the pain in your words, like the others said, there is always positivity - you always see a way out to the light.

Love ya to bits. (I can see you blushing :>)