Notices

More space inside my head

Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More space inside my head

I’ve been reading and lurking since 21 August when I stopped drinking and found SR so I thought it was time I posted. 6 weeks without alcohol feels great. I look better and have more energy, I’ve lost weight and my mind is clearer, I’m much less crabby, and I have the feeling that there is more space inside my head, I have more choices, I’m less boxed in.

I really have no particular excuse for drinking too much, it just kind of started in my twenties and continued into my fifties - I liked to drink alone, usually every day. Last 20th August I had a day off work at home. Had a nice enough time, did normal things like cleaning, gardening and cooking, a little painting, and drinking. For some reason, decided to start adding vodka to my usual white wine (seemed like a good idea at the time, you know?). So the next morning I woke early feeling very sick, with my heart racing very fast, and overall feeling much worse than usual. Anyway, Tuesday 21st August, felt dreadful and did not drink. Googled alcohol info and found SR. SR has helped me stay away from alcohol for the past 6 weeks – THANK YOU ALL.

I have read so much and picked up really useful information from the site, including names of books (I found Under the Influence particularly enlightening ), and links to other resources. I’ve read about AVRT and urge surfing, and I’ve read the stories of some of the posters here telling about their battles with alcohol and drugs. In so many of the posts I see things which I can relate to. I’ve done those things / thought that thought.
I’m starting to believe that with the help of SR I could stay off alcohol for ever (scary to write that down, but really, why not?).

If you met me in person, I wouldn’t talk much, and I’m self-conscious about writing advice to others as I only know my own story, but I’ll encourage as much as I can. Thanks for reading and for being there.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Eventide, congratulations to you for making your choice, and for finding us here. Glad to have you.

You are absolutely right, you can stay off alcohol forever, and have all of those things in life that you deserve. Well done.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Eventide!

So glad you decided to post and tell us your story - good job on 6 weeks! I'm with you when it comes to this forum - it changed my life and I'm grateful today to be sober.

It's hard to think of doing anything forever, really, but I know we can stay sober one day at a time.....
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Eventide! Welcome to SR

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much...

Thanks so much for your post Eventide. Part of your story is mine as well. Have been drinking my whole life it seems, and into my 50's recognize how it gets in the way of so many goals that get set.

I am new here, and am glad to read your story as it gives me relief that it not just me out here feeling this way.

I'm going to stay with it, and I hope you do as well.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time!! Keep on keepin' on.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to you too, Rebuilt57. I have to wonder if you and I are the same vintage. Glad to have you here.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome Freshstart, Artsoul, Opivotal and Least. Glad to be here.

Rebuilt57, have you given up too? I've read many stories here on SR, some people have very different lives to mine, but some others are close to home. I'd say I would be classed as a 'functional alcoholic'; I've a responsible job, quite well paid, own home; I dont get badly drunk in public, no trouble with the law. But somehow my 'normal' involved purchasing and drinking 2 wine boxes (total 6 litres) and 1 bottle of hard liquor each week. I bought wine boxes as otherwise there were just too many glass bottles to dispose of! I knew it was hurting my health, but its only since I stopped drinking that I've begun a list of all the ways I was affected physically and mentally WHICH I DIDNT REALISE WERE DOWN TO THE BOOZE but now I've stopped drinking the real cause is apparent. And its turning into a long list which I might post one day.

I totally agree, alcohol gets in the way of goals but when we're in the middle of alcohol time its so hard to see that. My goal now is to find a 'new normal'. Will gladly work with you on staying with it.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Eventide -I felt the same way about SR - still do

Welcome to you too Rebuilt

D
Old 09-30-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Welcome to you too, Rebuilt57. I have to wonder if you and I are the same vintage.
Ditto on That!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome Even and rebuilt. I am of a similar vintage, 1952 being a fine year for alcoholics to have been born. Advice is not really necessary Even. Just telling your story, sharing your own energy, strength, and hope is really what I do here unless asked specifically for advice, and then try to make it clear it is only what works for me and to take what they can use and leave the rest.
Thanks for doing what makes this site great! And making this rainy Sunday afternoon a little more pleasant for your company.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Eventide And well done on 6 weeks sober! x

And welcome to you too Rebuilt x