Notices

Me a DD.....who would have ever imagined?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me a DD.....who would have ever imagined?

I just returned home from a bonfire with friends and family and I was the one driving! There was plenty of alcohol flowing freely about and I didn't drink a drop. I can't remember ever being in a situation like that and not drinking.....let alone being the only sober one, and having the privilege of being the designated driver! It was such a win for me. I can't help but feel proud that I refrained from drinking and was actually trusted to drive others home safely. In years past I've always been the stumbling drunk who had been someone else's burden to get me home safely....usually after making an ass of myself.

I haven't had a drink in 18 days, and tonight has given me the confidence to remain sober. This was the first time I've been around alcohol since I quit and I was a bit apprehensive about the situation. But I held strong and am now rewarded with the self esteem that I never had while drinking.

I want to thank everyone on this site. If I hadn't had the opportunity to read so many of your guys stories, struggles, and successes then I never would have mustered the courage to lay the bottle down. I truly am indebted to you all.

I've spent 13 years a drunk and addict, but 18 days of sobriety has given me more true joy and happiness then I experienced in all that time.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((turt)) - Wow, that must have felt pretty amazing! Congratulations on 18 days, too. This is just my experience, but I had to distance myself from those type situations for a while. However, as long as you put recovery first, you will do fine. BTW, thanks for being the dd. Yes, I drove drunk/high more times than I'd like to admit, but no more.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awesome, turt!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome! I can't wait until the day people start texting me and asking what THEY did the night before. I'll be the one pointing and laughing, for a change.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's amazing! I've offered to be the DD next weekend and I am in very early sobriety. I think it's going to be really difficult, how did you manage to stay sober? Hopefully knowing I am responsible for driving will be enough but I only have 4 days so it might be too soon for me! Any suggestions for how you did it are welcome. You should be very proud of yourself especially so early in your sobriety. And I'd imagine being the one to tell someone what they did the night before would be fun instead of waking up having no idea what happened
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you!!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Turt, thanks for such an upbeat post. Good for you for getting everyone home safe and being so positive about it. Feels good to be the safe driver instead of the mess in the passenger seat huh?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

turt, that is terrific. I'm dreading the first time I'm around people drinking. I'll put it off as long as I can, but you're an inspiration.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

WTG Turt!
I was the always the 'designated drunken driver' many years back
Grateful to not have to worry about that anymore.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kind words. To answer "How I did it?", well, nothing special really. I was nervous leading up to me leaving for the party, but I just kept thinking about how everytime I drink I black out, wake up with my heart pounding, covered in sweat, with hellish thoughts racing through my mind. I also thought about the horrible abdominal pain, terrible bathroom experiences, and the shame and guilt that hung on me like a lead weight. I also remembered all the times my wife and kid's faces were painted with hurt and disappointment. Nothing is worth reliving that misery...especially the brief numbing that a few hours of drinking would bring.

If and when those cravings and "wanting" thoughts came to mind I quickly recalled all the negatives I mentioned above. Keeping a sharp and concise "pros vs cons" list in my head has been my main weapon in this fight for my 18 days. Alcohol is poison to my body and my soul.......I know this, I accept this, and I will work hard everyday not to forget it.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Its amazing to be on this side of the coin aye
Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome!! Way to go. I'm sure it feels wonderful! Many more days like this ahead
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good stuff Turt!