Notices

What is the best way to find the right sponsor?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the best way to find the right sponsor?

I feel like I need someone mature and streight foreword. My biggest problem is that don't know how to ask and all that. I can't think of anyone that I would want to ask right now because I haven't been to very many meetings. I will attend meetings in Huntsville AL next week. I know that they are all a little different (atmosphere, size, etc.) do you guys have any suggestions relative to groups I should try and what to look for in a sponsor?
BTW... I live in Scotfsboro AL and will attend out AA group from time to time but I get more out of the ones in Huntsville. Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BRD

Originally Posted by Lyingdog View Post
I feel like I need someone mature and streight foreword. My biggest problem is that don't know how to ask and all that. I can't think of anyone that I would want to ask right now because I haven't been to very many meetings. I will attend meetings in Huntsville AL next week. I know that they are all a little different (atmosphere, size, etc.) do you guys have any suggestions relative to groups I should try and what to look for in a sponsor?
BTW... I live in Scotfsboro AL and will attend out AA group from time to time but I get more out of the ones in Huntsville. Thanks
The perfect is the enemy of the good. If you go and wait for the 'right' sponsor you will have the impact of delaying getting one. If you believe you need one I would pick someone who can see with regularity and with whom you would feel comfortable sharing your drinking history as well as the current garbage in your life. If you find that who you pick isn't working out you can always pick someone else.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am 11 days in and have been going to meetings daily. I connected with a woman after a meeting this past Thursday (meaning she approached me and was nice LOL) so I asked her to be my sponser. I knew I needed one and didn't want to wait any longer. Like BRD said, you can always change sponsers but good to get started as soon as possible.