Notices

What Keeps You on the Straight and Narrow?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Keeps You on the Straight and Narrow?

Just wondering if you guys can share what keeps you on track in your sobriety? What keeps you from picking up that drink? What keeps you from listening to those voices that say you'll just have a few, you'll control it this time?

For me, reading a lot of medical literature on the damaging effects that alcohol exerts on the brain and body even at moderate levels keeps me on my path. I regularly read a variety of long form studies and medical papers, particularly new research that shows moderate intake, which wasn't considered as harmful is now found in fact to be harmful. This really helps me keep a zero tolerance. Of my favorites, Dr. Howard Becker wrote a great paper on kindling http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/25-34.pdf
Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the article. I am kept on track by going to AA and posting on here when I get the urge. The first and last drink I took 11 days ago led me to a blackout which caused me to be a person I never want to be. Granted that has happened before to me but I just continued drinking. This time, when I crave, I think about where that one drink will take me....never anywhere good. I am also committed to staying sober because I have been thinking of my future and realize I will never have an true last ing relationships if I continue to isolate and drink my life away. Alcohol has been my lover far too long. And I have a sponser now so I have to call her everyday and I really don't mind it. She gives me good tips. Hope you are doing well today
Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I ask myself if I want to feel like I have the flu tomorrow. The answer is always NO...and it has kept me from drinking for almost a whole month now. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Been also reading about the physical damage alcohol causes, and realizing I was dangerously close to the point of no return. I believe I've escaped the most horrific physical effects and I know that I would not be so lucky should I drink again.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess the only thing keeping me going is the fact that I'd wanted to stop drinking for so long. Even a year into it, drinking every night, I wanted to stop. Two decades imprisoned feels like a lifetime. I don't want to go back.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Zee

I stay sober because I was scared straight. I have cirrhosis. I read and post on SR every day. I feel ok/fine now and my liver is functioning normally but I have a healthy fear of another near death experience! I'm happy with the soft drinks and coffee!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I realize "that" voice is a LIAR!
Everything it says is a lie & alcohol will destroy me, my life, my family, my career, my health, my sanity.

I accepted I will never drink poison again. It makes it alot easier.
Read & post on SR.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never again want to feel the despair or loneliness of being drunk.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just get honest with myself-controlled drinking isn't what I would really want. I believe there is a story in the Big Book with the caption "She finally realized that when she enjoyed her drinking, she couldn't control it, and when she controlled her drinking, she couldn't enjoy it."
I work on convincing myself that controlled drinking wouldn't be enjoyable anyway - so why ponder it. Plus you after a few "controlled" drinks is not the same as sober you. I know I can't trust "2-3 drinks me" to stop there. Not worth it!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I hang out with people every single day that....

Drank on weekends

Drank sometimes

Drank daily like me

Have had liver transplants

Have killed someone drinking and driving or under the influance

ect. ect. ect.

People just like me, I lost everything but my life....

People that drank to much, to often, for to long

And today we dont have to live those lives, we are useful productive people in society. That are joyus , happy and free..
I dont need literature, I live with the people in the reality of alcoholism...

My god is my doctor and it prescribes a daily shot of AA....
Old 09-29-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

What keeps me on track (not in any relevant order
My utter horror at how I would be if I drank again

AA, my HP, my meetings, my sponsor, my AA friends and their love, support and wisdom

SR -the people, the sharing, the support, the chat, the posts and opinions

The love from/of my husband

My increased self estimate and belief
Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ive been watching Dr. Drews rehab shows. Then I dvr it. Anytime I think about drinking I wastch that and realize its not worth it. Plus I remember all the stupid things Ive done while drinking...
Old 09-29-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I couldn't pick up because I knew I was facing death. I knew there was no such thing as 'a few' for me. I had been drinking all my life - it had progressed to the point where I was totally dependent on it. After decades of trying to control it, I finally had to admit if I touched a drop something dangerous was going to happen. Maybe I'd lose my life - or harm someone by driving.

It's a good question - interesting & helpful answers.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
I just get honest with myself-controlled drinking isn't what I would really want. I believe there is a story in the Big Book with the caption "She finally realized that when she enjoyed her drinking, she couldn't control it, and when she controlled her drinking, she couldn't enjoy it."
I work on convincing myself that controlled drinking wouldn't be enjoyable anyway - so why ponder it. Plus you after a few "controlled" drinks is not the same as sober you. I know I can't trust "2-3 drinks me" to stop there. Not worth it!
I have got to get the Big Book. That line is brilliant; I got to hear quite a few at that first meeting I went to.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Daily gratitude for still being alive and able to have a meaningful life without the numbing effects of alcohol. I will do whatever it takes to maintain continuous sobriety this time around.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My son called me an alcoholic, he is right. It is when I started to question my alcohol problem.....my sons words to me are what keep me going. Also in the last few weeks a sense of dissapointment in myself because for a number of years my OH was telling and pleading with me to stop drinking, but I did not lísten and this dissapointment that I did not lísten to her words has instilled a strength (mixed with anger) inside me not to allow alcohol to take my family as a victim because of my alcoholism.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

What stops me is knowing that it is just the crazy thoughts of my "primative" brain, now i have some insight on me and i , i know i can bring peace and calm to to what was a tangled ball of confusion .

Savouring every moment through living in the moment makes the sober experience more glorious than anything alcohol or drugs ever could do or give .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-29-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR helps me...and I help myself too.
I understand now very clearly that the choices I make shape the life I lead.

I like the life I have now & I don;t want to lose it

D
Old 09-29-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

practicing the principles of AA in all my affairs have helped me get further away from that last drunk and get me straightened up when my thinkin gets squirrely.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My DR told me I'd die
Old 09-29-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What keeps me not drinking is: I had an acute realization that I and everyone I love eventually die. That this wasn't a game where I was supposed to be hanging around, killing time. That this is it. I know it sounds a bit drama filled. But it is the truth and it directs my behavior a lot now.

It sounds obvious. But I never "got it" in the way I get it now. I think I lived like I was in a play or something... lived as if I got do~overs. But I finally GOT it. That we are all vulnerable. That this is a live show and the clock is ticking. That it doesn't call time outs when we aren't living wisely. It keeps ticking and it is up to us to do what we want with the time we are given. When I finally got it, it was very sobering. I don't want to drink my way through whatever time is left to me.