Notices

Afraid of being left out?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Afraid of being left out?

I was reading an article at thefix.com (which is a great site) and it talked about how one thing that people with addictions have in common is a fear of being left out of things. They meant that not just in terms of wishing you could join in on drinking or using or whatever, but that even from a very young age there was a fear of not being included in social activities. I thought about that, and realized that that's completely true of me, I always had a fear that friends weren't inviting me to something, or that cool stuff was happening which nobody wanted me at. It seems like it became compounded when I moved across state a few years ago for my job, when I was first making friends (which in adulthood I seemed to pull off pretty well) but where I also was worried that if I wasn't "on" and extroverted all the time people wouldn't want to hang out with me. So I was performing all the time, and booze (which had always been there) became part of that. I was wondering if you guys had that same fear, of being excluded?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't know if it was so much a fear of being left out, but definitely always wanted to fit in and be like everybody else. I always had to be part of some group growing up, it was how I made friends. I didn't start drinking when everybody else did, waited longer, but I caught up in a hurry. When I did start it was to fit in with the guys that we liked. It definitely felt like I had to be more outgoing to be more "cool" and drinking helped with that. All downhill from there. Interesting topic....
Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd say that's true of me.

But then again, who enjoys being left out?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone enjoys being left out...

but I wasn't enjoying being left in & nearly killing myself in my and my drinking buds hard drinking rock n rolling life either.

I stepped away from that life style...took the booze away and worked out who sober me was.

Then I built a new life based on, in, and around those discoveries.

Now...I'm not left out - I've never been more connected with other people, I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile with my life and I'm at peace and happy.

I couldn't tell you what my old drinking buds are doing today - but I can guess.

and good luck to them too...we all have a right to determine how we want to live our lives...

I'm just happy I took that leap of faith and changed course.
D