Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It's Friday.. just checking in here and remembering I am an alcoholic!

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, it's Friday. Kids are staying up late watching a movie, they're having pizza and garlic bread for dinner (junk night Fridays) and have got them popcorn and chocolate fingers etc etc for after so the little people are all happy!

The man just asked for 4 cans of Cider - he did ask if it was OK. I said yeah it was fine (though I am ofc jealous!)... i went to Tesco and there was an offer on for 14 cans for £8 instead of 4 for a fiver... so bought him the crate!

I could really do with a drink tonight - bought some hot chocolate and a bottle of Shloer Rose (non alcoholic but tastes a little like sparkling Wine)... I actually opened the bottle and swigged it in the Car driving home! Had a bit of a stressful day arguing with him (love/hate relationship)...

Sat there and thought to myself 'go on, you can have a couple' but then thought of the inevitable hangover, the fact I am a bit of a bad mood (which would get worse after a few drinks - him breathing can trigger an angry episode haha), the fact I have done so well (2 weeks today) and the fact that I don't want to post on here saying I caved in

So... have just eaten a curry, will get the kids to bed for about 10 then watch a movie and get a good nights sleep tonight.

Boring really

But feeling moody and stressed and irritable is not a patch on feeling hungover, shaky, anxious, guilty and depressed!

Happy sober Friday everyone!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey sugarfix....2 weeks.. congrats...You are gonna love yourself in the morning for not drinking!

Jim
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go! Stay strong. You'll be even stronger in the morning.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job staying sober. I am leaving the office in a few hours, and not looking forward to the drive home past all the liquor stores on my way to the suburbs. Stay strong folks.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sugarfix. I felt bored and restless in the beginning weeks, too - even though I was very thankful to be off the rollercoaster & out of danger. If you're like most of us, that feeling will begin to fade as you heal.

When I was at the end of my drinking days I finally admitted that momentary feeling of numbness was not worth the price I'd pay. One always led to many - and unpredictable things were said and done. There were no more happy highs for me. I, too, was kept in line by posting here . There were certain people I didn't want to disappoint - and even if that wasn't a good reason to stay off the stuff, it worked.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
Great job staying sober. I am leaving the office in a few hours, and not looking forward to the drive home past all the liquor stores on my way to the suburbs. Stay strong folks.
I would say shut your eyes, but not wise when driving! Stay strong yourself and think positive! You can do it
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend

D
Old 09-28-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well done.

Have a great weekend , and thank you.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good job Sugarfix! I'm starting to enjoy my boring Friday nights-time to read,watch tv,relax. I bet the thought of posting on SR that we slipped has been a deterrent for many of us at a crucial time-whatever works