Notices

Need support please

Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need support please

Greetings,

I'am a 27 year old male, whos dad had and still has drinking problems. I used to drink a lot during high-school and university years. In 2004 started suffering with Panic attacks and anxiety. Managed to beat them twice last time with the help from counsellor.
Regardless of htat I had a baby girl 3 months ago and had to move in with my wife to my in-laws place, where things started to fall apart. I started drinking everyday (not that much) but occasionally getting waster. However last 3-4 days I drank a lot way too much starting at day time finishing late at night. My relationship started to degrade rapidly, the big problem is. Yesterday I woke up in the morning feeling more or less ok (cold sweat though), went to shower started coughing and vomiting my head started spinning, hands shaking badly and my chest feeling tight. It felt like a panic attack rather than a heart one, but I did go to the hospital stayed there for 7 hours, had EKG, chest xray and bloodtests done, everything came out normal. Was given IV and stomach medicine like motilium, lansoprazole and some electrolytes to drink.

Came back home more or less better but still felling crap, this night I though I was going to die, my chest had waves of tight pain regardless of the position, I felt cold and hot even in the room it was +28C. Shivers then few mins later sweat, all night like this. I dont think I managed to get any sleep maybe 2 hours on and off. I felt taking nap, but remember my head was full of thoughts.

I feel that there is no point of going back to doc if only to ask for xanax or anything that can relieve anxiety. I'am very worried I have a small baby and I know now I dont want to drink anymore and I will take steps necessary, but it is not too late right? How long will this last?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome sup3r1or - you'll find a lot of support here

I don't think it's ever too late...I remember that fear tho.

I remember the panic too, the anxiety, the elephant on my chest and the completely sleepless nights lying there in terror until the dawn....

It does, and will, get better - but please don't hesitate to go back to your Dr if you're concerned - at the very least you can set your mind at ease

do you have a plan to stay sober?

D
Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR sup3r1or...You're in a good place...Glad you're here. When you went to the hospital did you tell them about your drinking?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

it's not too late. it's never too late. the longer you're away from the drink, the more in control of yourself you'll feel. whatever you do now, don't take away your progress by going back to drinking. otherwise you end up having to go through everything all over again. like Dee said, if you're concerned then go back to the doctor. i'd be careful about asking for something like xanax. that's an addictive drug. you need to be honest with your doctor about EVERYTHING so your doctor can prescribe the proper kind of medication for you. it'd be a shame to get your drinking under control only to be hooked on xanax all because you weren't honest with your doctor, no?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome sup31r0r! It's never too late! There are a lot of fantastic people here to offer advice and support.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Actually, I did tell the doctor honestly everything and may be it is the reason he did not proscribe to me. To be honest I was never hooked on xanax, I was on it once for a week but only because of panic attacks and I didn't know anything about this drug, however it did help. I'am aware of dangers of xanax, I had it before but never took it the bag I threw away. But yesterday the pains were so bad I wasnt sure Ill make it through the night. Today I feel kind of idle I can still feel pains and urge to vomit when I eat.

I have a 3 months baby girl to take care of and I cant see myself helping with anything in such misery, thats why I thought if I take at least one xanax I can sleep through the night and have the strength to fight this anxiety without it. So I cant get back to helping my wife with the baby, because after drinking for a month I barely spent any time with the baby and now everyone thinks I don't care about her or my wife.

My plan for not drinking well eh its been 2 days, my plan is not to drink but to replace it with something that makes me feel good or more confident and accomplished with myself (jogging, swimming) I enjoy writing articles but with this mess in my head now, I cant really do it. Also a part of my plan is when I come close to the booze think of this and other bad experiences, we almost divorced with my wife during my drunken arguments, this is not what I want and I'am sure it will add the weight.

Thank you all.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So they didn't give you anything for detoxing...I'm surprised. Jogging and swimming is great....Have you thought about a recovery program.....I use AA....That's a great place for alcoholics that want to stop for good....Is that something you'd be open too?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would love to go but I moved to live to Thailand and I highly doubt they have this kind of groups around here, at least I could not find anything, unfortunately.

The meds I got from the doc was electrolytes to drink, lansoprazole to reduce acid and irritation of stomach, motilium which I think helps with vomiting and also got buscopan (not taken that last one yet, according to internet it seems like those last 2 are same kind of meds) did anyone get anything different for detox? I have followup appointment on Monday.

But I really want to find at least smth now to ease this chest pains
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would love to go but I moved to live to Thailand and I highly doubt they have this kind of groups around here, at least I could not find anything, unfortunately.
Did you check this site out?

Welcome to AA Thailand | AA Thailand

D
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're trying to move straight from alcohol to xanax which I don't think is a good idea.

Please try kicking alcohol for an extended amount of time, recovering, and then go to a doctor if you still feel too anxious to cope with life without xanax.

Welcome to the forums btw! Stick around and let us know how it's going!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome .. Its never to late unless your dead !

Thank you Dee for posting up a link for AA in Thailand.

You going to be okay, just try to take it easy , eat lite, keep hydrated and in a couple days you should really start coming around..

Keep reading and posting..
Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Welcome .. Its never to late unless your dead !

Thank you Dee for posting up a link for AA in Thailand.

You going to be okay, just try to take it easy , eat lite, keep hydrated and in a couple days you should really start coming around..

Keep reading and posting..
Thank you, with these chest pains and head spinning, I really feel not far away from being dad and thats the scary part. Even though I had most of it checked still not made me feel any better.

Wonder how long will it last before I start feeling better in some way, its 2nd day not drinking, and 2nd day on medication but I still feel like throwing up even though I feel a bit hungry.

Apart from AA, does anyone in general have any advices or strategies to dealing with drink in long term or with anxiety after drinking. Its hard to stay positive at the moment.

Btw nearest AA meeting is 2 hours drive from me will still try though.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sup3. Your right with you saying your not far away from your dad. My father drinks and I was following his footsteps. So now what I do being sober I look at my dad and see how he makes no sense how he is always angry etc..... And I said this is me when I am drunk? It sure is! 1 day at a time it will get better. With me it has been 2 weeks and my anxiety and panicking is on a whole different level. It will only get better. I cant give you much advice because we are all different but..... I been suffering with anxiety and panic for a decade. This is what use to help me with drinking anyway. 1. My meds 2. walking. 3. Put in your head its a panic attack or anxiety and take slow deep breaths nose to mouth and also run freezing cold water on your wrists and back of your neck . Now this helped for me hopefully it will help you also. And one other thing...... drinking made it 10 fold the day after! 2 weeks without drinking and I am forgetting to take my meds and when I see the bottle with my meds I say OMG I forgot what if I have a panic attack? So I take a half out of being scared I will get one. Hope this helps. One day at a time....
Old 09-28-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dear sup3r1or,

hope you are feeling a bit better this morning. A three month old daughter how lovely although I imagine you are not getting a lot of sleep :>

A lot of us on here (if not all) have suffered from extreme panic attacks. I can tell you that they can stop happening...I haven't had one in over 10 years.

This might help:

Understanding Panic Disorder & Agoraphobia

Try and not let those negative thoughts invade you...laugh at them almost and push them away.

Take care
Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support, issue I have usually the thought dont come in until I start feeling chest pain or dizziness or as now pain.Today after sleepless night I feel well, after doing some housework I feel a bit better, but it keeps going up and down with more downs. I have been given 3 different meds for my stomach yesterday (private hospitals here try to ran up your bill with as much stuff as possible lol). After taking second doze this afternoon I started having pain under right ribs, first though Liver packing up? from either drinking or too much medicine.

I decided to slow down on meds and let my body work it out, thats how I did it before. Also took a few notes from my counseling sessions, will try to implement them soon as in the first couple of days no matter how hard I tried its very difficult with physical sensations and lack of sleep overpowering any positivity.

Btw what got me onto this website is this experience but the fact is, I never was more worried or scared because after I woke up from 4 days of drinking hard, I couldn't tell what date or day of the week this was. I kinda lost the sense of reality when and where things happened. This is when I looked back at what I did and how behaved I was like, that is not me! Cant be, it really does needs to stop before it is too late.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I started having pain under right ribs, first though Liver packing up?

Same thing with me on right and left. No more now I think it is my body healing with so much toxins. Also your like myself..... Your anxiety + until your head clears a little bit you think everything is a bad thing. Drinking = paranoia + anxiety. So, with both your scaring yourself even worse. But by no means am I a doctor and I am not trying to scare you with this because like I said I was feeling the same thing but it wont hurt to call your doctor to ease you up. Lots of water, lots of it! Even if your not thirsty drink a glass of it.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're having a bad reaction to your heavy drinking, that's for sure, both physically and mentally. If your liver was packing up you'd have serious and very noticeable symptoms. You really need to get yourself to a doctor and lay off the drink for as long as possible so you can recover.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with hillOH....Just for peace of mind you should talk with your doctor...And check out this forum here for alternatives to AA....2 Hours is a pretty good haul....But at least it's there.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-28-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Alcohol can do horrific things to your body and mind.
The mornings you describe where my mornings to a tee.
Alcohol makes painc and depression worse, especially for me.
Morning time anxiety is also quite severe but quite common.
The only thing in the end that started to work was around 5pm entertaining the idea of another drink which was madness.

I constantly worried about that pain where my liver was.
After ot drinking for a prolonged period it went away.
Was it lever damage? I don't know.
More likely to be lots of excessive gas from drinking fizzy mixers and beer on an empty stomach I think!

Young babies are a beautiful gift.
But the lack of sleeping and the change in your life can be really hard and I know that from first hand experience.

What I did learn was that drinking made it even harder.
Hangovers and nappies, sick, lack of sleep did not go together well.

This is a really special time in your life.
Your baby will never be three months old again.
She will never have her first smile again, first turning over, first steps.
Don't miss it through booze, you will never forgive yourself.

Take lots of care of you and your family
xxxx
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just a quick update sorry for nagging about. LIke I said yesterday I have been to the doctor and he made a EKG for my heart, Chest Xray for heart and lungs, blood test for liver ( I suppose?) plus things like sugar and other things and also urine sample for kidney function. Everything came out normal, I got IV with solution to replenish the lost minearls it really made little difference.
Yesterday night was like a nightmare, was freezing (In Thailand) where its like +28, and sweating, waves of chest pains like someone is sitting on my chest, hard to describe. I was drinking electrolytes at home. I'am never taking (hopefully) alcohol again now I have no desire whatsoever.

What I wanted to update you on, during day even with almost no sleep I felt better doing things like playing with the baby, washing up some stuff and cleaning around. Now by 7:30 pm I felt well much better but very tired. Decided to lie down to see if I will be able fall a sleep today and how is it going to be. Well? No chance couldn't fall a sleep chest pains came back almost straightway and feeling cold really cold with no fever. So dont think I will get much sleep today again. Also this feeling of niddle pains or burning in hands

Very similar to huge anxiety attack I had in the UK after drinking on NYE, but this is stronger.

My therapist always told me do no think you will not sleep today, as essentially you are programming yourself not to sleep. And try to think positive which I find it hard when I feel like sheit. I do drink plenty. Planning to slow down on medication and eat little by little, I cant eat big portions.

Did anyone ever tried Valerian Root? Its a kind of a herb my mom used back home, suppose to calm down your nervous system and works like sedative to help fall asleep? I have a jar I bought in the UK which I never used, if anyone is familiar with this let me know.