Notices

I finally admitted today ...

Old 09-27-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I finally admitted today ...

To my husband that I need help. My story started like so many others where a legitimate pain became an addiction. I've never been a constant addict, but have always come back. I've battled pain, anxiety, insomnia ... and become addicted to meds treating all of them.

Today is where it ends, I spent the day paranoid and crying because I was so afraid that I was going to be arrested because I filled an ambien prescription at a different pharmacy. The paranoia is worse than ever, and finally breaking down and admitting to my husband that I needed help was a huge step for me.

I hope to get to know as many of you as I can and be a positive influence as time goes on. I never thought I'd write this, as I was quite happy being an addict for a long time, so it does feel a bit ... daunting.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Fourandahalf,
I'm sure it is a relief to talk with your husband about this. You'll find many people here who understand.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome fourandahalf!

I had a huge fear of getting sober, and it did feel really strange for a week, but it was worth going through the first days to begin to reclaim my life. To my surprise, things didn't get worse - my mental health and attitude totally improved once I stopped drinking.

Glad you're here! Check out the section on substance abuse, too. We're here for ya!
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm here for less than one day now, and the support from the community is amazing. We all face the same demon, if I might say so.. You will good and positive guidance and advice.

This the right path to take for recovery.

Welcome.

Wolfram
Old 09-27-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is daunting, but you can do it.

Good for you for recognizing that you need help, and I'm glad you found us.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Admitting is always the first step and a very important one. Take life one day at a time and it will get better.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a lot easier to take care of it when you aren't trying to hide it. It might not be a bad idea to discuss with your doctor what your plans are....Be honest about your using....Just for your own safety detoxing.....And then thinking about maybe rehab or a recovery plan. Congrats to you on a great decision that left untreated will only get worse. Glad to have you here...You're in good company.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard
Old 09-28-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is all new to me but the addiction is not. I have found myself addicted to pain medication for about 6 years. I went to see a physhiarist who has started me on suboxone. So far have not taken a pain medication for 3 months. I have tried to find counseling but they want an arm and a leg $$$$$ don't have that. Just a person wanting help and maybe someday be of help to others as I learn. But I have so much to learn. I don't know where to go from her. The Dr. has quit so my only hope is to find a place here that can guide me and give me some direction. I realize I have to take the steps on the road and I have done the first part. But now I am at a lost as to what to do next. Kind of in never, never, land. My children and sister know of my problem but to them it is foreign as they don't have the problem I do. So someone please reach out and help me find a way to communicate. You will never be sorry.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's why I have come here I think I need to share and learn so much. Now if I can just figure out how to chat back and forth. Will see if this works
Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have gone and discuss this with my Dr. told him I was going to see a physichiarist and he supported my effort. He was more understanding than I thought. I was afraid he was going to be mad at me.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I finally admitted today.......

I know how tough this is. I have been there. My problem is my husband is brain injured so doesn't get the picture. I think that's the toughest part feeling like I am going thru this alone. I don't know where to put my foot down next. But our timing is close maybe this is a road we will Journey together. May you receive the desires of your heart. Sad thing we didn't do this on purpose. You just suddenly find yourself there it happened then it feels like there's no way out. We both have come this far (a big step) may our pathes be guided.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am believing for that hope I can follow thru with responses once I learn.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The lonliness feels the worst at times, especially at the wee hours of the day. That's why I love this forum. Somewhere in the world there someone awake who will listen to you. You're not alone.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Fourandahalf

This is a wonderful, supportive community - you're not alone here

D