Notices

a weak moment & pattern

Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a weak moment & pattern

I've noticed I crave drinking everyday around this time 4 pm) which is when I leave work & normally chase my bottle of wine at the liquor store. I'm really struggling but know it will pass....it helps me to say I want to drink ( on here & outloud). So glad I have an aa meeting lined up later because its keeping me accountable. As i think thru the drink now I know it would end up leading to feelings of guilt & shame. And I'm smoking cigarettes like they're going out of style ugh. Thanks for reading my vent.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I had a similar trigger for 6pm - that was alcohol o clock (before things got even more out of hand)

I made sure I was busy busy busy at that time. Anything from dog walking to a bath or to the gym. Even a different way home broke the habit after about 3-4 weeks

An evening AA meeting is also a go way too - as you say it keeps you accountable and focused.

Good luck on your journey
Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks hexipuff. I'm really trying to keep busy as you said...this too shall pass...
Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

This will go away in time if you stay on the path. I found it helps to think of it as a "body memory" , "urge" etc. The first step in mastering the situation you have already done ie
  • you know there is a pattern and the pattern repeats
  • you have an explanation for why they are occurring
  • you know they subside

It may help to do a search on urge surfing, there is a good article somewhere here. I found that understanding the above helped 'separate' me from the experience. The other thing that helped was a bit of chocolate about half an hour before they usually come on.

If you stay on the path- in time this type of experience will be a thing of the past
Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for recognizing that you can get through these thoughts.

I found that changing my daily routine helped me a lot. For example, can you take a different route home so you don't go by the same store or shop at a different store? Little things like that helped me through the early days.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great advice instant, I will definitely look for that article, And Anna, I really can't take a different way home because I am literally right off the highway but I have been stopping to run errands before heading home. Today, I went to the bookstore to return something and that in itself changed my routine. Drove right past the liquor store down the block and sucked it up. However, this craving is lasting longer than usual. I know its because Thursdays I hit the bottle hard because I don't work on Fridays. Anyway, I am going to get ready for my meeting. Will dress nice and put some make-up on. If I can't totally feel normal right now, I can at least try and look it!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there Quit!...Use your phone numbers...Check in here....It gets better....Have a great meeting and you're doing great!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm curious if you have a 5:00 meeting you could hit when you get out of work for awhile?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good idea sapling....there are some around me at 5:30...need to start doing that, especially on days like this. Thanks
Old 09-27-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank God for another day sober Quit. What a great meeting I went to today....The topic was serenity....Something I never had when I was drinking.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mine's 8:00. Right before the liquor store closes. I'd start "pre-gaming" at home, get dressed, and go to the bar.

I've been trying to stay online during that time to distract me. So far, so good. This site is great.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope you had a good meeting. I too don't work on Fridays and cracked a bottle of wine at 4 pm ish. It did help me to keep busy and even out of the house at first. Took long walks and ran errands.....cleaned like crazy too.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I found it helped me to say it out loud too. Took away some of the power or something. I could say it, and then make an active choice not to do it. Good for you!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you, sounded like you had a good plan. 4pm is my hardest time of the day too, but after month I learned to just ride it out and within an hour or two the craving is gone and I can just go about my night sober and without that uncomfortable urge.