Notices

I finally admitted it to myself

Old 09-27-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I finally admitted it to myself

Hi all,

First of, I'm an alcoolic.

I went to my first AA meeting last friday, and it was great. This week, I fell off the wagon only twice, and it has at first greatly discouraged me.

But I will continue to fight.

I suppose it is like a large heavy stone that as been put in motion. It wont stop with just a little tap. But with constant effort.

Good sobriety

wolfram
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't give with your sobriety, Wolfram. It's going to be a hard battle to win. What are your plans to stay sober?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know yet. I have school and family and friends. These are my main plans. My main drives. And my cat. And taking care of my own self for once in my life.

My sober date was sept 21, but drank on the 25 and 26.

So my new sober date is 27th.

wolfram
Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Wolfram
You'll find a lot of support here.

Will you be going back to AA?

D
Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wolfram....Read the Big Book of AA...You can get it online or at a meeting.....Keep going to meetings and do your best to not drink one day at a time. Next meeting ask for a list of phone numbers and use them...If you feel you need to pick up a drink...Pick up the phone instead. It takes some effort...Getting a sponsor and working the steps is the program...It's worked for me for 15 months. Glad you are here...It's a great place for online support.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

Many of us stumble before we truly get sober.. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed a meeting. AA not only taught me how to live sober, but it has given me a life. I love it...

Get back to that meeting , re-introduce yourself. And try to get started with reading the Big Book , more meeting, get a sponsor, and a home group..

Keep reading and posting..
Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

3:32 sapling and I were on the same wavelength ..
Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all,

Yes will definitivaly go back to AA on friday, I got my hours set. And yes will use the phoneline. This is all so new to me.

I just hope I wont be judged because I stumbled. It makes me feel shameful, but I know it is not a good opinion to get of one self.

wolfram
Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I just hope I wont be judged because I stumbled. It makes me feel shameful, but I know it is not a good opinion to get of one self.
Just the opposite... We dont eat our wounded.. We are all in the same boat.. We all know the shame and remorse...
Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Yes will definitivaly go back to AA on friday, I got my hours set. And yes will use the phoneline. This is all so new to me.
Trust me...This was new to all of us. What worked for me was studying the book...Especially the first 103 pages.....Listening in meetings for people that talked about that...The first 103 pages....And that had been sober for years and looked happy.....People that were working the program. I needed to learn from these people and work my way into that group. The way I would do that was before and after meetings I would compliment them on what they shared and ask them questions...I always had questions.....It shows you are taking it seriously, willing to learn and pretty soon you are accepted as wanting it. I learned that these people really want you to have what they have and are more than willing to help you....You just have to show that. I learned how this program works from the oldtimers in my group.....Who today....Are some of the best friends I've ever had. Moral of the story....Stick with the winners!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
We don't shoot are wounded....If we did...You would have been the only one in the room.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR, Wolfram. This place has been an invaluable source of support for me and I hope it is for you, too.

All the best.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Wolfram! It's like water skiing. Not easy to get in the beginning and you fall while you're learning. It gets easier with practice, and you'll get lots of good ideas for staying sober here
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Have you addressed what made you stumble on the 25th? That 4th day was always really tough with my sobriety.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have found going to a meeting everyday and not drinking in between has worked pretty darn good for 3 years
Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA is a program that rewards success and ignores failure, Very few of us made it without a few bumps in the road. Keep coming back