Notices

Starting again

Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting again

I just joined the site. I got sober almost 3 years ago and was doing so well. New job, great family,friends. I just moved to a new city 5 weeks ago and fell off the wagon. My family won't be here for 3 more weeks and I am so lonely and depressed.

At first I thought I could have a drink or two, meet people etc.

But after a couple of days I was back to heavy drinking. Up to 10 beers a day. I tried to stop a week ago, but I am afraid of the withdrawal. My withdrawal last time put me in hospital. I am back to shaking, sweating and vomiting in the morning that I can only seem to stop with a drink.

The other problem is that I do not have a family doctor or coverage in my new city for another 3 months.

Should I try cold turkey???
I don't want the DTs.

Can I taper off???
At what point should I call 911 if the withdrawal gets to much???

Very scared and going to go to bed now. 8 drinks in today. I hope I am ok in the morning.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Catman - welcome!

I always recommend people see a Dr if they're concerned about withdrawal - why not play it safe?

D
Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

^ "The other problem is that I do not have a family doctor or coverage in my new city for another 3 months."

Welcome, Catman. You're probably already in bed by now, so I'll just pray you sleep well tonight with no complications. Let us know how you're doin tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry about your slip catman. Withdrawals can be a tough thing to go through and from what your saying this was your last binge in 3 years. If you do it alone it's going to be a really hard time to go through plus with no one around. Maybe a good idea to play it safe and go to the ER. Once you get through this just go back to what you were doing before. Seem like it was working and then ask if you really want to quit for life this time.

Night and welcome to SR
Old 09-27-2012, 12:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome and I am glad you found us

I can relate I always had pretty severe detox's also. I wound up in the ICU once.

But another time I just went to the ER, with no insurance. And so glad I did. Its not only just to dangerous but it helps all those symptoms so much..

We never are healed, its always there. Every relapse I had , it only took days till I was just like you. Back to to much sick , sweating , shaking , ect...

I hope you hang in there for the couple days and get through it. And hit the ER if you have to, or what about a Urge A Carekind of instant clinic..

Wish you well.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I realise you have no coverage.

What can I say - I didn't see a Dr - had a bad detox - had several mini strokes...I'm still dealing with the physical legacies of not doing that.

Sometime peace of mind and well being come at financial price Catman.

D
Old 09-27-2012, 01:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's amazing what a handfull of pills and the knowledge that ER is not far away.
See what a Dr can do. You have proved you can do it and refrain. You need to get your head back in focus but first those few days ! It might not go on too long if your not back on the juice for long , but why risk for the sake of a prescription.
Regards John
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It's now 10:00 in the morning. 12 hours since my last drink. I slept quite well last night. Tossed and turned a bit and woke up 2 or 3 times feeling either very hot or very cold but was able to go back to sleep.

This morning I had one wave of nausea so far. Lasted about 15 mins. Now I feel a bit clammy. I am off to an AA meeting at noon. They really helped me before.

I remember it was at about the 14-15 hour mark when I went to the hospital 3 years ago. If the symptoms get worse, I will go to the ER. It doesn't feel the same this time. Feels like its more in my head than truly physical.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Catman -

Good to hear you're managing today.... I hope things continue to improve in the next few days. Let us know how it goes... we really do care.

This is a great place and I know you'll find the same support I have. Hang in there - better days ahead!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Catman! Glad you seem to be doing better today. Are there any clinics near where you live that might be able to help? You'll find new friends and support here
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Catman3334 View Post
Feels like its more in my head than truly physical.
Ain't that the truth! That's so how it is with addiction, even though there is undoubtedly a physical component, it really is a mental state of being that affects and afflicts us. I always thought that after some time, say a few months or surely a few years of being away from my drugs of choice I'd no longer be interested, or at least, not feel compelled to use. But after so many years of use I suppose the wiring got fixed, maybe permanently, so thinking about it comes up time and again, despite the passage of time. The key has been, at least for me, in times of trouble to seek help, to get past those rough spots and tomorrow maybe things will look different. Almost always the next day brings new resolve. Sometimes it doesn't, and we have to wait it out and work it out. I think new wiring does override the old, in time. Mostly it gets easier, in time. Mostly. When it doesn't, seek help. That's the only advise I can offer as one who sympathizes with your condition.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Catman! I am about 24 hours without a drink....
together and with the help of others that have gone before us, we can do this!
I went to a VERY powerful meeting today at AA... blubbered through the entire thing!
It was a step meeting and there were only a few people there, ther were on step 3, but went back to 1 for me (how kind) well... It finally hit me what working the steps means! (I have tried this before) but today I feel is the start of a journey.... I am not expecting it to always be easy, but I am expecting it to be worth it...... Keep us close, we are all here to help eachother!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Hope you can get through this whatever you choose.
Welcome to SR
Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good deal glad your not as bad as before..

And way to go to a meeting and get out of your own head for a bit..
Old 09-27-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had a breakdown this afternoon. I couldn't handle the detox on my own. Finally had the courage to call my partner back home. I was so scared that he would blame me, hate me, not want to come to our new city. He was wonderful, very supportive. Some friends of ours here are coming to get me very soon. Take me to their doctor or the ER.

The best part is I don't have to be alone tonight or ever.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you reached out.
Let us know later how you're going Catman

D
Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Went to the ER. Great team of professionals! Was treated very quickly and very well. A full range of blood work done. 2 bags of saline solution by IV. Heart rate and blood preasure good. I was given 4 little pills to get me through the next 24 hours and can go back tomorrow if I still need more.

Very controlled medicine. Only given 1 day at a time for up to 72 hours. Then you shouldn't need it any more.

Took the first pill at 8:00 pm. And feel so much better. No shakes, no sweats, no headache. Just very tired. I'll take another at 12:00 and go to bed.

Thanks to everyone! This is a wonderful site to chat and find advice, inspiration and hope!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Catman3334 View Post
Went to the ER. Great team of professionals! Was treated very quickly and very well. A full range of blood work done. 2 bags of saline solution by IV. Heart rate and blood preasure good. I was given 4 little pills to get me through the next 24 hours and can go back tomorrow if I still need more.

Very controlled medicine. Only given 1 day at a time for up to 72 hours. Then you shouldn't need it any more.

Took the first pill at 8:00 pm. And feel so much better. No shakes, no sweats, no headache. Just very tired. I'll take another at 12:00 and go to bed.

Thanks to everyone! This is a wonderful site to chat and find advice, inspiration and hope!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's awesome....It looks like you're doing it right.....Nice job!!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good deal my friend

Rest well, your on your back to the good stuff.

I am so glad you went, I know for me , it put my mind at ease most of all.. Thank you for the update.