Notices

Best thing in new sobriety?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best thing in new sobriety?

What's the thing you've enjoyed the most about sobriety if you're new to it? For me it has to be the lack of a hangover, both the physical and the mental/spiritual variety. One of the worst things for me as a drunk was late-night facebooking, I'd get hammered and post really ridiculous stuff all night long. The chat function was even worse (I still don't know how much of a laughingstock I may have been among friends and colleagues). Inevitably my eyes would shoot open around 8AM when the booze ran out of my system, and I'd always have that stomache sinking feeling as I ran to my computer to see what damage I'd inflicted the night before.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

For me it was some breathing space. Time to rest, and gather my strength. The other thing was coming to SR and feeling like I belonged rather than struggling alone.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I find I slouch when I walk and look down. That because of the shame that hangs off me.

When I have been sober I stand taller. Literally. And I look people in the eye.

Wonder what people think when they see the difference? Maybe they think.... Well I can only imagine.

But that's what I like a lot about being sober.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Been there! To log onto FB one should first have to blow into a Breathalyzer!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DAB

For me it was having the time to do more productive things with my life like exercising and just getting things done that I'd usually put off.
I lost about 20 lbs and kept it off since I quit about 11 months ago.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is a lot easier being a father to a toddler sober. Not having to worry about when and where I was going to drink used to consume me. Now I go with the flow much easier. I love waking up refreshed too.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This might sound ridiculous considering all the obvious physical and mental benefits of being sober... but for me it's not having to shop for the stuff! I drank beer, and not vast amounts really, but having to carry it home, going to different shops and then the recycling! It just feels like a load of work I don't have to do anymore
Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember the sense of relief. My life got a whole lot less complicated.

D
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Being able to watch a full movie with my wife, and remembering the ending the next day.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

it's not being afraid anymore. afraid of the clerks at the liquor department recognizing me. afraid of getting pulled over and having a sobriety test. afraid of where i stashed my full and empty bottles. afraid of getting caught. afraid of my liver health. afraid of withdrawals if i don't keep up my drinking. afraid of keeping up my drinking. afraid of covering up all the withdrawals from the bank account. afraid of looking drunk. afraid of where my future was going.

i'm not afraid anymore. i'm liberated from my fears and i feel amazing.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There are so many its hard to choose, but I'd have to say that on the top of my list is going to bed sober, getting a good, solid, restful, deep night's sleep, and waking up with no regrets, no shame, and feeling good - not hungover, not dehydrated, not a mess. After drinking, most mornings I wake up not only feeling awful and exhausted, but literally afraid to face the day, just wishing it to be over so I could either drink again, or go back to bed, or both. How sad. Now I wake up feeling like I am on a journey, with boundless opportunities, and each day is a gift. What a contrast! It's really what keeps me going and gets me past those after work cravings, as strong as they are sometimes.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me the lack of blackouts. Knowing where I've been where my car keys, car and walllet are and some selt respect and my health and life and things like that. The small things in life like everything.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Waking up without that horrible feeling of regret and panic. I was always trying to piece together the night before - wondering how I'd ever make it to work all fuzzy and spacey. Knowing I'd never get through the day without shaking. What fun.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
it's not being afraid anymore. afraid of the clerks at the liquor department recognizing me. afraid of getting pulled over and having a sobriety test. afraid of where i stashed my full and empty bottles. afraid of getting caught. afraid of my liver health. afraid of withdrawals if i don't keep up my drinking. afraid of keeping up my drinking. afraid of covering up all the withdrawals from the bank account. afraid of looking drunk. afraid of where my future was going.

i'm not afraid anymore. i'm liberated from my fears and i feel amazing.
I can relate to all of this!!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The thing I enjoy the most is being able to think rationally, and form words in my head that come out of my mouth coherently. I don't miss slurring, and having ridiculous thoughts and ideas plaguing my mind.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm enjoying the way my wife is looking at me. Se no longer has a look of trepidation, concern, annoyance on her face that is saying "will this be another one of those nights" when I'd have a beer or glass of wine in my hand.
I wasn't a daily drinker, i was a binge guy. So maybe be in ten nits f drinking would be taken over by the dark side.... Sober 68 days and my relationship is healing, da t day life is getting easier.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Improved fellowship with my HP. I really missed that!
Exercise and much improved health confirmed with medical check-ups.
Real relationships based upon people and life instead of drinking.
So many things!.........but I tend to type too much.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not vomiting or dry heaving. I never want to vomit again in my life.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Best thing has been re-finding a sense of dignity and self-worth, it's hard to feel like a walking joke... it took awhile before it happened though.

Short term, definitely the weight loss. That hasn't been everyone's experience though...

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod
Being able to watch a full movie with my wife, and remembering the ending the next day.
Oh yeah, I remember getting drunk watching movies and noticing how it all becomes fuzzier, LOL!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

so many.... I think the best thing so far is finally starting to connect with my spiritual self and a higher power. I am starting to feel less self-centered, even though I am focused on my sobriety all the time. I have the energy to be more empathetic, the ability to really listen to people, whether at work, AA, or SR; and the capacity to love the world in a way I was unable to when drinking.
Thank you for this thread. I enjoy reading others' responses.