Notices

What to do with myself?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do with myself?

I realized last night I’ve come accustomed to doing everything around the house with a drink in my hand. I almost feel weird having two hands to do things.

Reminds me of the time I quit smoking. The hardest thing was getting used to driving without lighting up. Driving and smoking go together like Gin and tonic. I was going bonkers until I discovered a nose hair trimmer which made its way into my glove compartment. Needless to say I went through a lot of AA batteries and the interior of my nasal cavity resembled a Brazilian wax job. True story!

Back to last night. The idea struck me to maintain a constant glass of ice water, which worked well because I didn’t succumb to the urge for alcohol. Problem was I spent the night peeing like a race horse.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey peeing like a racehorse in the pot beats lying in it! Welcome to SR! I drank lots of Crystal Light, still do. Good job so far!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lance,
I'll try to get that image of the nose hair trimmer out of my head!

It takes doing things sober for them to feel normal sober. I had many firsts to get through before I didn't feel like something was awkward - first wedding sober, first football game, baseball game, watching TV, listening to music, dancing, etc. But little by little, I didn't notice the glass of alcohol was missing anymore.

Perhaps you should only carry 1/2 glass of water around next time!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance2525 View Post
I’ve come accustomed to doing everything around the house with a drink in my hand.
Hey Lance, Welcome to the club. I found too that drinking became a habit, I drink for any reason and any occasion simply becasue I always have. I think we have to change our thinking and mindset and re- learn to do these simple things without alcohol. We can change our ways of thinking and our habits I beleive.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Lance!

Yeah, habit is part of the problem, but habits can be broken. I found that changing my daily routine really helped me a lot in the early days.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I carried on drinking large quantities when I quit, still do... endless amounts of herbal tea and sparkling water. It's like a comfort blanket throwing large quantities of liquid down my gullet. Whatever it takes x

Do race horses pee alot...?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

AA has a book available called Living Sober. It helps immensely!