Notices

How many of you....

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Sober Life

How many of you....

How many of you talk about your recovery openly. I write a blog about my life now and am very open about being in AA and in recovery. I feel that this is something I cannot hide from anyone.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not recovered...yet, but I openly talk about my alcoholism. I don't hide it from anyone.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The Sober Life

Recovered?

Originally Posted by Klia View Post
I'm not recovered...yet, but I openly talk about my alcoholism. I don't hide it from anyone.
I dont think we ever recover... There is no cure for my disease!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlsoberfan View Post
I dont think we ever recover... There is no cure for my disease!
The word recovered is used over a dozen times in the Big Book. Recovering is used once referring to a new man in the program. We do recover, but are not cured.

Anyways, I am open about my recovery when the situation calls for it. I of course maintain my anonymity as an AA at a public level. And when I do discuss my AA membership I need to remind myself that I may be the only example of AA that a person sees. So better be sure to take that responsibility seriously.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't hide it from most friends
Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I rarely talk about it outside of SR and AA. I talk about it enough in those places (referring to my thousands of posts)... I have a brother in AA, decades... We rarely talk about it, anymore... if he it brings up, I am happy to discuss it. If I am asked directly about it by someone in recovery, I will discuss it... It's not that I am secretive so much as I am not defined, outside of AA or SR, by my status as a recovered alcoholic.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I talk about it a lot more than I talked about my alcoholism....But mostly in AA or here....Or with loved ones that are quite happy I have been restored to sanity.

We, OF Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

Foreward
Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I talk on SR and AA about my journey and my recovery

I discuss my alcoholism with loved ones

The rest of the world - no not really. I think it is a bit like any recovery or condition. My husband is diabetic but he doesn't tell everyone, that's how I treat my alcoholism

I would speak up if it was appropriate, if someone was seeking guidance or I was asked directly. I have to be honest I thought I would be ashamed to do so but now I know in my heart I am not. This is me, I have a problem but I am working to keep it under control - one day at a time .
Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hexipuff View Post
I thought I would be ashamed to do so but now I know in my heart I am not. This is me, I have a problem but I am working to keep it under control - one day at a time .
Nothing to be ashamed about there. I call that grabbing life by the horns!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I only talk about my alcoholism to other alcoholics on SR and in AA. I have a professional career that I fear may be harmed by other peoples negative perceptions and misconceptions.
I don't think anyone can really understand unless they have been in my shoes.
I don't know if that's right it wrong but it's what I feel comfortable with.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To thine own self be true. There are those I share with because I trust them, and those who I don't because it has no relevance to them.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you raised this topic Atlsoberfan because it is something I have been thinking about. I am not open about it outside my family but would like to be, I feel like I am hiding something, but so far I am leaning towards the just telling people who ask option. Too many people make assumptions and misunderstand things.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I talk about it when it's required....like here, or when I'm meeting an old friend who wants to know why I stopped drinking, or a friend who wants help with their drinking, or when I'm seeing a new Dr and explaining my case history.

I don't talk about it when it's not required because...it's not all about me

D
Old 09-26-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I don't talk about it when it's not required because...it's not all about me
Good point... LOL... I remember once when it came out in discussion, I could feel all the air getting sucked out of the room and I became the center of it all...

Not.Going.Back.There.Again.... LOL
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm open with my family and very close friends, as well in AA and on here. A few people I made amends to know now as well.

I keep it private at work and with those I am not close to. However, if I see someone that wants to recover, I will open up to them.

One thing that drives me a little batty is being asked by work colleagues why I don't drink. I've practiced my answer "just not a drinker, thanks". Then the next event same question. I even had a guy ask if I would eat rum balls if I don't drink. What????
Old 09-26-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i write about it often on my Facebook page so all my friends and family know about it. i'm really open. i've even called in on public radio shows and talked about it. i guess since i'm in recovery i have nothing to hide anymore. i'm really comfortable with myself and i'm finally proud of something about myself. sobriety gave me pride and i can't keep it to myself.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Good point... LOL... I remember once when it came out in discussion, I could feel all the air getting sucked out of the room and I became the center of it all...

Not.Going.Back.There.Again.... LOL
good point. i haven't been in a social situation where it's come up. i mentioned it to someone i worked with once when i had my 6 month anniversary. i mentioned it casually and just said i really happy with my life and left it at that. i could see how something so personal could really suck the life out of a casual conversation though!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't know why, but I'm ashamed of the fact that I don't want to drink anymore. In social situations, I get a drink and sip it without drinking it. That doesn't always work though...

I would certainly never discuss it, or at most with family members and very close friends.

The weird thing is that I was never ashamed of my drinking. I boasted and bragged about it, exaggerated it even...
Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My close friends know I quit, but I see no reason to discuss it at work, or with casual acquaintances. I would be the same way if I had cancer, feel it's a private thing for the most part. If it would be helpful to someone else I would share it.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I do not hide it but I do not publicize it either. I put it in God's hands. If someone asks about where I am I usually will say, "An AA meeting" talk about a conversation stopper or if the conversation is about substance abuse and it seems appropriate I will mention AA.

I have found it makes life much easier if you are not afraid to mention AA. "We are only as sick as our secrets." I honestly do not care who knows but I have not shared at work. There are too many people that have other agendas and it is none of their business.