Notices

Day 3 and feel elated

Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 and feel elated

Hey all. I'm new here, but this site initially helped me decide that "I can do this!"

For years I've been telling myself "today will be a dry day", and have never been able to get through even just one day. (averaged a bottle of wine per day, more on weekends, with no alcohol-free day since 2008) The anxiety would eat away at until I gave in, you know that voice in your head which tells you to have a drink, because hell, you CAN..

Lately for the past few months the anxiety and guilt has driven me mad, and I resorted to hiding booze all over the house and lying to my family left right and center. I became very depressed. But the real turning point for me was a complete stranger guessing I had a drink problem because of my physical appearance - I have huge sunken in eyes (often said I look like a 'zombie'). This really got to me.

So I started day 1 on Monday - was a VERY difficult day. Anxiety through the roof! Tuesday though, I was SO proud of myself, that emotionally I felt overwhelmingly happy all day long. And today, despite being awake all night and the itching driving me mad, I feel completely elated. I can cope with the mild physical withdrawals, they even make me smile because I know I must be healing if I'm experiencing them. In fact, I can't stop smiling!!!!! I walked around Tesco this morn with my head held high feeling as if I'd won the lottery simply because I felt proud to be NORMAL!!

I even put the bin out today, and that's a miracle in itself

God I hope it lasts..

Anyway, a huge thank you to everyone's inspiring posts.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations Raspberry!

Yeah putting bins out is always such a struggle for me when I'm drinking!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Raspberry
Great to have you here - glad you're feeling OK - and congratulations on day 3

D
Old 09-26-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 3! I know what you mean about the bins LOL!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Well done and Goodonya, Raspberry. Congratulations to you on your decision to get sober. That is a decision which will have absolutely zero regrets for you when you look back at it from that sober vantage point you are approaching.

The journey seems to be uphill at the moment, but there is a panorama of possibility that is unfolding ahead of you. Since you can do this, what limitations do you really have?

Thank you for posting and telling others that if you believe in yourself, sobriety is achievable. Keep posting, OK?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you, Raspberry! I went sober in January of this year and one of the very first things I realized was when I rolled out the trash can on Monday mornings, it was so light (and quiet!) without all those wine bottles rolling around and clanking. Glad you are here with us and wishing you every success under the sun - this is a very worthwhile journey!!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NYR

Good job Raspberry. I know that feeling of wanting a drink oh so well too.