Notices

Back again

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

In July I went on a family vacation to the Gulf Coast. It was a big deal with the whole family (my Mom & Dad, Brother & Sister and their kids, me, my wife and our kids) that we had been planning for a year to celebrate some significant milestones happening in our families. I was WAY over confident in my sobriety, as I hadn't had any kind of cravings in weeks (I had only been sober for about a month and a half) and the thought of any alchohol turned my stomach sour. On the third day of our trip while I was out on the boat and fishing in the ocean with my brother it happened. Without even thinking of what I was doing I reached into the cooler and grabbed a beer like I had done a thousand times before while fishing with my brother. By the time we came in off of the ocean I had drank four or five beers. I knew the next morning that I had made a Monster of a mistake, and all of the cravings and the old feelings came crashing back down like the waves outside of our beach house. Long story short, but it has taken me ten weeks to get that monster back in it's cage and I am happy to say that today is day 3 of being sober again, and as angry as I am at myself for being so cavalier and careless with my actions, I am equally grateful for the fact that the lesson I obviously needed to learn didn't return me permently back onto the path of the slow suicide I was committing by drinking myself to death.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great to have you back. I have two years and still get a kick out of good news like yours. Thanks for sharing. You help the long tumers as well as the newbies when you post lessons learned and back on track.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back

D
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Congrats CM & Thank you for the post.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back...Glad you made it. What do you do for your recovery ColoradoMan?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome back man
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

great that you got back on track and learnt a lesson CM.
I think its very important we learn and never forget the lessons of our slips.
I too got over confident with my sobriety thinking that I could control it,
never works.
Take care
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back and good for you for getting back at it.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words. I am not much of a meeting guy Sapling, but I do have a very supportive group that I surround myself with, and I use the strength of folks like yourself to help me get through the times when I am at home in the evenings or on the road traveling and away from my group.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoMan View Post
Thank you all for the kind words. I am not much of a meeting guy Sapling, but I do have a very supportive group that I surround myself with, and I use the strength of folks like yourself to help me get through the times when I am at home in the evenings or on the road traveling and away from my group.
That's good...Use all the support you can get....I couldn't find any reason to do this alone. Not when there are people out there that have done it. Just keep moving forward...It really does get better everyday.