Alanon Question

Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alanon Question

I just found the local meetings and there is one tomorrow night. I want to go but I'm still at the stage that just the mention of the word alcoholic makes me cry. If I happen to tear up will I look "crazy"? Will I be expected to say anything or introduce myself? I think I will just burst out in tears if I can't go sit in the back and not say anything.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Crying is good and they are used to it. Just go and don,t worry about that.

Ngaire
Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

No, you won't look crazy. Pretty much everyone cries there at some point in time. I did nothing but cry for the first two weeks of meetings. People will understand. And you will know that they understand.

No, you do not have to say anything, not even your name if you cannot or do not want to.

You should go so that you do cry. Get it out in front of people who understand completely.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am a 6'1 250lb former Marine and I cried at meetings. So don't feel bad if you do. I am willing to bet almost everyone there did as well. The will understand like nobody else.

Your friend,
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Don't worry, we have all been there. Please go forward with meetings, they were a life saver for me and others.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did not have to say anything at all until I was ready. My group was made up of women (and one man) that had all been in al-anon for years and years and there was still a tear shed from time to time. Two of the core members of my group had alcoholic children and one member came just once in a while (she was out of town) and she too was there as a parent.

I stopped going when I moved because I just can't be gone another night out of the week. It is to much both for me and for the kids and I can't miss so much work to go during the day but it is a very very supportive place. I always encourage people to go. I felt it did a lot for me (and all the literature/books also helped) even though I only went a short time.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I cried the entire first meeting. Most of the second and third. It's ok. It's a safe place to cry...and someone always has extra tissues to pass around.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Al Anon meetings are a safe place. You are not expected to speak and can even pass when they go through the introductions around the room. There is no cross talk in the rooms of Al Anon so it's a wonderful place to find support and love and you can just listen.

During my first meeting I tried to figure out who the long timers were, the people who seemed to be confident and strong in their programs. I approached them after the meeting and introduced myself. They hugged me, told me to keep coming back, and now some of those people are my most trusted confidantes in the program. I have learned so much from them. Some meetings we laugh more than others, and some meetings we cry more than others, but really it's about feeling a part of something bigger than yourself and realizing that you are not alone.