Notices

Over a year sober.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over a year sober.

over a year sober. I feel, well a sence of achievement all right. I know for almost certain that I will never drink again, provided i do the correct thing about how I deal with my crazy head, and keep going to meetings.

I have had a good year so far, and am starting a masters study on friday. This is a new venture for me. This is a very big oppertunity actually. There will be others hopefully, but I will do one thing at a time from now on. I feel that I have achieved a lot.

However, I am in a bad place right now. I feel very angsted indeed. This has happened a number of times inside the safety of my sobriety. I find it challenging that I should have to bounce back again and again, especially within the framework of my sobriety. I have got to stay at it. There is no choice for me.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
However, I am in a bad place right now. I feel very angsted indeed. This has happened a number of times inside the safety of my sobriety.
You'll handle it. Congrats on the sober time.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment. Working towards a masters is fantastic, as well! You can do this. Look in the mirror - you are living proof it can and will be done. Great job!!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats! A year is huge!
I see you are attending meetings which is great. Where are you with your stepwork? Maybe the solution to the bad place you are at now lies within the steps?
Best wishes!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, very much. I am not worried about the alcohol thing, it is the sobriety thing that gets to me sometimes!!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not worried about the alcohol thing, it is the sobriety thing that gets to me sometimes!!
What do you mean by this?

Congratulations on your sober time good for you!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Achievement indeed! Congratulations from me almost sound trite, but you have my sincere best wishes!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done Eddie, keep battling
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on your year eddie! Not sure if this applies to you, but my sponsor has a saying, "stark, raving sober." She told me she gets that way when she isn't working her recovery program of choice, which is AA.

It sounds like you are going to meetings, I was wondering the same thing as bbthumper, where are you on your steps? Is it maybe time to kick your program up a notch? Back to what my sponsor tells me: Life keeps going after we get sober. Ups and downs keep happening. The everyday application of the steps into your daily life is what sets us free.

I'm not there yet myself, of course, but I can see the serenity in her and in the other old-timers who cultivate their program like a beloved garden.

All the best to you eddie!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
Congrats! A year is huge!
I see you are attending meetings which is great. Where are you with your stepwork? Maybe the solution to the bad place you are at now lies within the steps?
Best wishes!
That is the solution. Congrats on a year!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober year and here's to many more!!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Eddie

There've been challenging times for me too in my recovery - but I know as long as I say sober I'm in the best possible position to come through those challenges.

I know you will too

D
Old 09-25-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good stuff. Congrats..
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Eddie on ur 100 days. Stick at it x
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a year!! I had learned, here, that "milestones" often brought about a lot of anxiety - 3 months, 6 months, a year, etc. I did find that, and stuck close to my support. Now that I'm working on 6 years clean, I really don't have the "milestone anxiety" but then I've learned to stick close to support.

You are doing great. Life is sometimes tough, we may not be used to handling it clean/sober, but the more we do it? The better we get at it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-27-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys. I am doing a little better today, I did my first chair in about 6 months today,, and it helped me a lot!!

Sobriety is hard for me, as it was the reason why i drunk in the first place. I kinda envy those people who just had a drink problem and then once they stopped, the managed to get on with their lives in a straight forward way.

I drank not because I wanted to, but to run from myself and the world, and now I am over a year sober, it is difficult to deal with my crazy head.

Yes the stepwork is the answer. This is where I am at with my sponsor at the moment. I feel that it is a great time to get back plugged in.

I hope u all are doing good and have a great weekend
Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just wanted to add my congratulations on your year sober - way to go! I agree with what Impurrfect said about milestones. I was all pumped to reach that one year mark and after that, I had a bit of a down time. Up to that point, it was all about staying sober and now I was starting to look at all the other things that I wanted to fix (in me), and it seemed hard all over again.

I had to make peace with myself. I wanted to change everything and change it NOW, but that resulted in just beating myself up. If I work instead on accepting myself, I'm so much more positive and open to life - it makes it easier to learn new ways of looking at things. Hope that makes sense!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
Thanks guys, very much. I am not worried about the alcohol thing, it is the sobriety thing that gets to me sometimes!!
I know the feeling and understand completely. This sober living stuff is uncharted territory.

What helps for me is to ask for direction from my higher power, talk to my sponsor/others in recovery, take it a day at a time, and accept I can only change myself by doing the next right thing on a daily basis.

Seems when I do this stuff, in a day or week things seem to settle down
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Eddie-Congrats on a year sober, wonderful accomplishment

I don't think sobriety takes away angst, it was there while we were drinking too. There is always something to worry about in life. It's what you do to deal with it that produces calm and peace within. It may seem like people just quit and move on easily, but I bet that's not the case in about 99% of people that are successful. It's like watching gymnastics-they make it look so easy. You forget how many thousands of hours of practice they put into it beforehand.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

All top drawer advice. Thanks a lot guys and have a great day!