An ACOA's moment of :)

Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An ACOA's moment of :)

This weekend was fantastic. My best friend across state came and stayed the weekend with me. We spend all of Friday together, we got to hang out together then enjoy a bit of eachothers life as we drove back and forth across town.
My part-time roommate and surrogate sister cooked breakfast for all of us and I got a fantastic meal with two people I care about dearly. That night my surrogate sister had an amazing accomplishment and I stopped myself from thinking too much and just simply did something nice to congratulate her for it. She was extremely happy and went with me to see my family for the first time in a lot of years of friendship. My family was cold to her, they don't appreciate that she encourages me to assert my feelings, but she didn't let it phase her and we had a great night.
At the end of the night I got a confirmation that my across state friend was home safe and loved her weekend. My other friend took a moment to thank me for thinking of her and making a big deal out of something that mattered to her.
When I had first met my friends I didn't hug, I didn't say I love you, I kept everyone at a distance. Tonight I got a hug and a genuine thank you and "I love you" which I happily reciprocated. I know that to a "normie" this would seem like a regular weekend, but to me it's yet one more reminder that I have stacked the cards in my favor with supportive people who call for the best in me. All of these things are making me happier, healthier, and more confident every day!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a lovely post and so glad you had such a nice weekend.

Every time I help put our friends' kids to bed, I get all warm inside. Pajamas, brush teeth, story, kisses. IMAGINE! This is what they get EVERY NIGHT! They go to sleep safe and happy and feeling loved.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My older brother pulled away from my family at a very young age. He removed himself from the drama and for the most part has been able to be participate but not pulled in member. He has two sons and a daughter. Those kids are well loved by my brother and sister and law. Every time my niece and nephews openly offer up an I love you, or immediately jump to a hug as their response I get that same feeling of happiness and contentment because I know that they have grown up with more love than they could imagine, they are safe, secure, confident, challenged in all the right ways, and most importantly loved.