How Do We Do ODAT?

Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Thumbs up How Do We Do ODAT?

Living MORE than one day at a time is ALWAYS hard. Living one day at a time IS what makes our "A" problem small and manageable. Not worrying about the future or all the risks. Not dwelling on the past or all the regrets.

Practically speaking, how does one live ODAT though? I'll give you my thoughts, but what I really want to hear about is YOUR tips for living ODAT.

One of the things I do, when I'm pulled back or pushed forward, is to concentrate on what is before me today, this hour, this minute.
I take my "Make Sense" test. "What is that Sight, Sound, Smell, Savor or Sensation that I am experiencing right now?" I take in exactly what one or more of the Five Senses is experiencing. In full 3D-HD! THAT is living in the NOW, carpe diem.
Or I take my "What Am I Doing Right Now?" test. For example, I am driving my children at 60 mph on the freeway, I am being careful with all this traffic and this sunshine streaming through my windshield, I am headed in the right direction with a silly song playing on one of the kids' CDs, and there is no A in the car upsetting me. THAT is living ODAT. I am not in the past or the future. I am in the moment.
I also have to remind myself that there are two days of the year that don't matter: yesterday, and tomorrow. Living ODAT is not always easy, but Easy Does It!

How do YOU live ODAT in practice?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

By prioritizing what needs to be done TODAY vs What Can Wait until another day. I have a mental, never-ending laundry list of "what i should/need to do". The codie in me wants to make a structured commitment to myself, which I would rigidly stick to. I am an extremely dependable person(to a fault, probably) , who NEVER backs out on her commitments( probably because I have been so hurt by my AH's chronic inability to follow through with what he says he will do). I find it hard to make commitments, even small ones, and ones to myself, because I am over-the-top with having to fulfill the commitments, for my own peace of mind. I make very little plans for the day to allow for other things to "come up", and if I can get to something else on my laundry list that could have waited until another day, then I am ahead!
Old 09-24-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

My way of doing ODAT is to prioritize what needs to get done today, what I need to work through, and leaving the rest for later. I have to block it out or I'll go crazy. If something happens, or I slip up and say, go a little loose on a boundary, then I right myself and start fresh the next morning. If I don't live ODAT, I'll go crazy.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I've just gone through an extremely turbulent time, I find that even one day at a time can be too much. So I start with one minute at a time.

Wake up.... yawn, stretch, now what? Oh, ok... go to bathroom, then make a coffee, then turn on the morning news program. Hmm.... I've forgotten something... oh, right.. my coffee is sitting on the counter in the kitchen... go get coffee and take a sip. Put down coffee, go turn on computer, sit down, wait for it to boot up and connect to internet. Reach for coffee.... darn, it is on the table in the living room. Go get coffee and bring it to the computer....

I'm serious about the one minute at a time thing. There have been days when I truly can't even keep track of my coffee mug from one minute to the next.