Notices

sober but struggling

Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober but struggling

i have been sober for 7 days and before that 4 weeks before i went on a bender but before that pissed most days for 20 years went on detox for 7 days about 5 weeks ago and subscribed campral which i thought was **** going on antabuse next week hopefully this will deter me and starting aa tommorrow so hope i can do it this time for all friends and family and my self feel like this is last time i can go through this anyone tried antabuse and finished the 12steps
regards
craig
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Craig, i recently tried antabuse as well. When you take it religiously i think it works. I had a 3 month stretch for most of the summer. But then my mind started trying to think it's way out again. Before i new it i knew that hey, i could take an antabuse on Sunday, another on Monday...it would take until Friday to get out of my system so i could get loaded on Friday and Sat. But like i said when i was taking it religiously it helped, it's just that i wasn't doing anything else like going to AA. I think if you can use it in conjunction with AA and really do the steps it will be a good place to start.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I haven't taken antabuse or done the 12-steps, but I know for sure that you have to do this for yourself, and that you can do it. I think the important thing to remember is that you have to make changes in your life. I had to make so many changes including people, places, learning to quiet the 'voice' in my head, learning to love myself. I hope that you keep reading and posting.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have never done the 12 steps, so no advice there. But I do take antabuse. I've found it helpful for me. However it is very easy to stop taking it to drink again, so make sure you're committed to keep taking it. One good thing to do, if you can, is to have a spouse or friend watch you take it, so you can't skip pills. And do NOT drink on it. It is extremely dangerous. If you think you might do that, I would not take antabuse. There are other meds for alcoholism that are safe to take while still drinking. Antabuse is not one of them.

I have struggled in the past with stopping taking antabuse because I decided I wanted to drink, so be aware of that. I started it in January. I'd get a few weeks here and there, then stop taking it to drink, then start back up again. That tends to be typical for a lot of antabuse users. I wasn't fully committed when I first started taking it, else I would not have stopped taking it to drink again. It can be damaging to the liver, so please discuss with your doctor.

Antabuse does not work for cravings, and only works to stop your drinking if you keep taking it. But when I take it, I know I just can't drink, and it makes it so much easier to deal with. I don't have to argue with myself all day about will I or won't I drink, because I just can't. It's helped me build up more sober time than I ever could have before. I now have 31 days sober. I don't feel that I need it now, I'm not dealing with cravings anymore, but I'm going to continue taking it anyway. I will probably take it for another 5 months and then decide whether to continue or not. If I feel strong enough in my sobriety at that point, I will discontinue the antabuse and stay sober on my own.

I definitely am glad I'm taking it, don't regret it at all. It is expensive, but worth it to me. Good luck if you do decide to take it.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Couple more things: beware of any products containing alcohol. Watch vinaigrettes, perfurmes/colognes, mouthwashes, Bengay, etc. I have not had reactions to any of these myself. I spray perfume directly onto my skin and have never had a reaction, but it's better to be safe and test out a small amount first.

I would just avoid Nyquill altogether if you're taking this. I don't risk it, as it has a pretty high alcohol content.

My only side effect has been a strange sulphuric smell in my nostrils for about an hour or two after taking. It's kind of annoying, but I only notice it maybe once a month.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took antabuse a while back. I guess it does help but then again you have to take it. I didn't regularly. I planned ahead as someone above said. Even replaced them with other pills so that my husband would think I had taken it.
I'm now on Campral and I think it helps. I'm also doing step work and am presently on step 4. This is the only time that I've been sober and not been obsessed with drinking. So I'm gonna keep on doing what I'm doing. For me, working the steps is key. Enjoy your meeting and give it time. At first, it's bound to feel awkward and uncomfortable. Over time, I grew more and more positive. Now i look forward to meetings. Amazing what time can do.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Craig

D
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks for the encouragement starting aa tommorrow still on campral dont know if it helps or not think antabuse might be for best .need to remember i cant drink as it is so easy to get back on it hope you are solid and dont get the urges
thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks most helpful sometimes you feel im the only person with this disease or illness so nice to hear other peoples views
thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks start aa tommorrow been before but did not get on with it i think i wasnt ready to stop but think your right 1 tablet is not going to stop you drinking i need the support
many thanks