Notices

3rd Day in

Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd Day in

Hi-
I'm 41, male and my last drink was 63 hours ago (Friday at 10pm). I have been drinking all my adult life... I got laid off from my job 5 years ago and have been drinking 6 nights a week since. I have known I needed to quit for several years. Now is the time. The love of my life left me 2 months ago because I drank too much... I was never abusive or anything, I just would rather go to the bar than stay home and watch TV with her and her kids. So, since I lost my 'career' job, I had been bartending the last 2 years, which made me fall deeper into the alcohol. I would put away a 2 1.75's of bourbon a week. I quit for 3 days last week, but was triggered to go have a beer with my father. He did something extremely nice for me and then took me for dinner. I felt like I should have a beer at dinner with him, then that triggered me to put down some whiskey that night. So last week I didn't even think about having problems with withdrawal. Didn't even occur to me really. I was just worried about not making it. Well, I drank heavy all week last week and woke up Saturday knowing it was "time". So, one thing I was worried about was what to do with all the time at night now that I won't sit on the porch and get drunk and smoke. Yes, I quit smoking too, as I only ever smoked when I drank. Well, my search results came back with all kinds of stuff about DT's and shakes and whatnot. I am on day 3 and I feel mostly good. My head is cloudy and I am exhausted... but last night every time I was about to fall asleep one of my limbs would jerk violently. Happened about 10 times. One thing I should note is that I never craved alcohol in the morning or afternoons. I would drink after work... I loaded up on Vitamin B's and Multi-vitamins. Have been eating healthy and walking in park. I am worried about the leg/arm jerking last night.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do to your Dr and tell him you are detoxing. S/he will give you an anti-seizure medicine which will greatly reduce or even eliminate the spasms. You may get HBP meds or other meds as well.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome bwru82fx - Congrats on making the decision to change your life. I'm not an expert on detox, but I did to a fair bit of research myself on detoxing at home etc... The leg jerks you describe sound a lot like restless leg syndrome which isn't that uncommon even for people that don't have a problem with alcohol. If you are shaking, vomiting having headaches etc... I would say that you are not having extreme withdrawal symptoms, but if you have any doubt or worry, a trip to the Dr. maybe the only thing that will give you piece of mind that you aren't suffering any ill effects of cutting out the alcohol.

SR has a lot of great posts and ideas on things you can both do with your time and help you with your period of detox. I found that drinking lots of fluids, getting some level of exercise and changing my eating habits to a high nutrient diet helped me nourish my body and hopefully help to start repairing some of the damage that I did to my internal organs over the time of heavy drinking.

As far as what to do with your time, there is an entire thread on SR of different users comments on what they did that "day" that they wouldn't have done had they been drinking. You'd be amazed at how simple most of the accomplishments are, it just goes to show you that you don't have to look far to see a lot of things that you didn't do while drinking that you can get to now that you have the extra time.

I would also recommend joining a thread for the by month groups. It helps to talk with people that are on the same cycle as you (meaning day count) as you will experience the same types of feelings both physical and mental. You can join and or post on any thread, but many SR users find the monthly threads a great place to develop comrades in the war against drinking!

Again, you've made a great choice for yourself, keep it going!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This place has been invaluable to me and I hope it will be for you, too. Congratulations on making this decision and for those three days. Good for you!

You're right - there's a lot of free time when you get sober! Finding things that you love to do is important. For me, the best things are those that really make me think about it 100%, so that my mind cannot wander. It's a great time to start taking up hobbies - things that you already love to do and things that you've always wanted to do. You're changing your life here, and you can do with your free time whatever you fancy!

I'm not all that clued up on detoxes, but I do know that they can be very dangerous, so if you do feel as though your symptoms worsen then please see a doctor.

I've quit smoking also - I feel so healthy! Being sober and smoke-free has made me feel like a child again! I have so much energy and zest for life. I hope you experience that soon, too.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks you guys. yeah, no vomiting, naseau, etc. i'm tired and feel anxious. i lost the love of my love and i don't know how i am going to live with that. i was drowning my self in alcohol to cover it up. i'm lucky enough to live near family for support. i'm not going to make a big "deal" about it. i simply just don't drink anymore is what i will tell people. i am, obviously, not going to go to bars, etc. i am really looking forward to feeling good. i've felt like **** for years. well, except for that 3-4 hours at night when i was drunk. i am really looking forward to cooking and eating well. something i haven't done right in a long time.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good stuff, and you seem to be doing well..

Welcome aboard..
Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Hi, well when I first quit drinking I had a similar reaction every time I would nod off I would be woken by a sudden jurk or spasm too be honest it went rather quickly, as for the tiredness and anxiety that takes a little time I felt anxious for 3 weeks but it takes time for the mind to settle don't forgett your brain is an amazingly complexed organism and you have been polluting it for years it will need time to restore its self to natural levels.you will feel tired mainly because alcohol is pure sugar and is used as energy quicker than food your body will being feeling sluggish for a while but contrary to what people say don't stuff yourself with sugar as this will make the highs andnlowsmeven worse, try eating lots of wholegrains granola nuts and protein drink plenty of water and dry calomile tea to relax. Maybe with your stare time you can go to a few aa meetings not only is it a great place to meet friends but it's a great place to RECOVER!! God bless.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks. yes, i read up and have been eating whole wheat toast, dry chicken breast, steamed brocolli, carrots and bell peppers. taking b-complex that has lots of thiamine. i have some herbal tea and it is great. thanks.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Oh and try a vitamin c it's an amazing anti anxiety vitamin..
Old 09-24-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Also be careful of how much vitamin b you take as although most are water soluble ie you wee it out you can take too much of certain b vitamins and they can raise insulin levels making anxiety worse.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bwru82fx

I always recommend people see a Dr - preferably one with some background in addiction.

That way you're in the hands of a professional, you'll get expert advice, and they'll give you whatever you need in your particular case - not everyone requires anti-seizure medication for example...and sometimes restless leg is just restless leg...it's best to get checked out tho

good to have you join us

D
Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Long hot baths, plenty of water, Eat a diet including bananas, green leafy vegetables and oranges. Exercise. Even if it's only a short walk, you should exercise and raise your heart rate as much as is comfortable. Not only does exercise decrease symptoms of depression, it will flush the alcohol out of your system.

If you need to see a detox treatment center. There general a lot of them around cities.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my parents have a hot tub just up the road. i may go stay there tonight. i'm kinda scared, as, my head is cloudy and i'm really paranoid. i just went on a walk and noises startled me a lot more than normal. thanks... going to drink some oj and eat a salad.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ok, so question... it's now been 71 hours since my last drink, which was friday night. i was naseous and hungover saturday morning, but since then, i've had a hot face here and there and 1 bad headache yesterday. my head feels cloudy but i'm pretty much otherwise feeling pretty good. i did have sharp, quick jerks of the limbs last night, but, no vomiting, no shakes, no sweats. is it possible that some people's bodies just handle it better? i've been reading stories of people that drank way less that went through horrible stuff. i know i'm not in the clear at 3 days. i'm just curious. i have NO cravings for alcohol. i know that i'm done with it. this is the longest i've gone without a drink in several years. probably 6 years.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi bwru -

Congrats on getting sober and welcome to a great community!

It does take some time to heal, especially if we've been drinking for years. I started feeling better after day 3, but spent the rest of the first week not doing much of anything (except recovery stuff). It seemed like the right thing to do.

I think, if you're at all concerned, it wouldn't hurt to talk to a doctor. Glad you're here!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thank you. i am feeling really good right now. i took a bath with epsom salt. will take another before bed. well, i called my "best" friend and talked to him. he and i have been good buddies since 1987. he was the first person i talked to about recovering from alcohol abuse. he was very supportive. i hope i get a great nights sleep. i don't crave alcohol at all. i know i will. i am going to talk to my dad, who lives just up the road, soon... he will be very supportive. in fact, i suspect he will join me. he's got it under control where he only drinks 4-5 beers throughout the day but i suspect he will join me in abstaining. i'm looking forward to good sleep and getting motivated. i've already gotten lots done around the house that i wouldn't have if i'd have been drinking. thanks.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

BW so glad you have found SR-it's a wonderfully supportive place. It sounds like you have the right attitude to make a great change in your life. Maybe if you're able to stop the love of your life will take a second look down the road-you never know. Concentrate on your recovery and getting healthy-you'll feel so much better.

Day 3 is hard for many people, that foggy exhaustion is fairly common. Lots of water, naps when you need them, vitamins, and revisiting hobbies, music, etc. that you used to like all help.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i got a really good nights sleep last night... took some tylenol PM, which i'm sure helped. i woke up and at a healthy breakfast and am so exhausted i'm back in bed. i feel fine, just super exhausted. this is the longest i've gone without a drink since 1990. i don't crave alcohol at all. i was ready to quit and i know i can do it. i want the love of my life back.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i am now on day 5. i've been taking lots of vitamins and eating well. taking baths with epsom salt and getting moderate exercise. i thought i was going to be way worse off than i am, as for the last 7 years i've gotten black out drunk at least 5 nights a week, every week. and for the last 2 months i'd gotten black out drunk every night but maybe 4 or 5. so, i feel great, except for being tired and being constipated. i have been having myoclonic jerks a lot. the 2nd night in i had leg and arm spasm/jerks while falling asleep. the 3rd night i didn't have them, maybe b/c i took a hot bath right before bed with some sleepytime tea and 2 tylenol pms? last night, day 4, i had them BAD. i laid down for bed at 10 and all through the night wouldn't get to sleep before my body would jerk quite abruptly and quite forcefully. i finally fell asleep sometime after 7 and awoke at noon and feel great. i was scared to death that these were "mini seizures". i did quite a bit of research (i'm a librarian) and it seems that myoclonic jerking is fairly common during alcohol withdrawal. hopefully it will subside shortly... at day 5 i still don't have any urge to drink.