Notices

Don't know where to start.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know where to start.

I am trying to quit drinking today. I want to go to AA tonight but I am afraid. At any rate, I am a heavy drinker (6 times a week) and I can drink a lot. I am only 30 years old but been drinking for about 12 years. How do I know if I am physically defendant or just addicted. I am afraid of the withdrawals.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best to err on the side of caution and get your doctor involved if you can. Or treatment.
As a start, an AA meeting is a great idea.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome IStillhavehope, loads of information and support here at SR. Glad you're here.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there, I am still relatively new here, but I am sure there will be lots of people with great advice. Coming to this forum is a good start, everyone is really supportive - I'm at day 31 and am confident I wouldn't have got here without SR. I'm 37, and have been heavily drinking (bottle of wine a night) for about a decade, I didn't really suffer many withdrawal symptoms, just cravings. Everyone is different, have you spoken to your GP about detox? Have you tried to quit before?

By the way, hello and welcome!,

X
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome! This is a great place to start. It's a good idea to check with your doctor first, detox can be dangerous on your own. Better to catch it now, than to wait until you're older and give it more time to progress!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definetley go see your Dr. before you detox, alcohol withdrawal can be deadly. As far as AA goes, here is everything you need to know:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR This is a great place to start - we've all been in similar situations and can really relate to what you're going through. There is much experience here and so, so much support. It's been invaluable for me and I hope it is for you, too.

I agree with everyone else - it's best to see a Dr if you are unsure.

Today can be the start of a new life for you. Sobriety has given me a new lease of life and has dramatically improved my physical and mental health. There really are so many benefits and I hope you feel them very soon.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, do talk to your dr and I'm glad you found us and that you are seeking recovery.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Definetley go see your Dr. before you detox, alcohol withdrawal can be deadly. As far as AA goes, here is everything you need to know:

Your First AA Meeting
Although this link is an excellent resource. Here is the Cliff notes version. Find a meeting that works with your schedule on line. Show up. At the beginning of the meeting they will ask if anyone present has never been to a meeting. Announce you have not and you are looking for help. That is all there is too it.

If you are anything like me you will meet a ton of people just like you that want to help.

Trust me it is not complicated and nothing to fear. AAs are the nicest group of people your will ever meet
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Trust me it is not complicated and nothing to fear. AAs are the nicest group of people your will ever meet
Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here, so I'll just add my welcome Istillhavehope
Glad you've joined us.
D