Notices

Looking for treatment in a warmer climate

Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for treatment in a warmer climate

Greetings! I am new to this website, but not new to the understanding that I am an alcoholic. I am finally ready to do something about my addiction.

I love to travel to warm places, so it makes sense that I would entertain the possibility of treatment in a place warmer than Minnesota.

I have spent many, many days (beer in hand) researching facilities in Florida, but the ones covered by my insurance plan don't seem to fit the bill, or the reviews make me wonder if I would be satisfied. I realize that getting help is the most important thing, but if I can get proper treatment in a nice setting, where wonderful fresh fruit is always available (maybe some fishing and a hammock), I would be in a much better frame of mind for starting this journey to sobriety.

With that in mind, do any of you good people have suggestions about 30-day treatment facilities in Latin America? Anywhere warm, actually. If you know of a website that lists them, I would appreciate that, also.

Thanks! I will be sure to spend a lot of time on this site, now that I found it.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Want to welcome you to SR. I have no recommendations for rehab, as I didn't go that route.

Originally Posted by Shescrazy2 View Post
I realize that getting help is the most important thing...
That is the key point. Getting help. Sounds to me like you are booking a vacation. You have every right to go where you want to go. It's your rehab. Just don't let the lack of amenities keep you from seeking help.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well...

You are right, Doggone Carl. I do want a vacation setting, but with every bit of structure that a traditional, institutional recovery program offers. I just don't want to feel like I'm in an institution. As I've been reading, recovery also incorporates nutrition, physical activity, as well as meditation. That "vacation" setting can facilitate that for me. I know how relaxed and happy I am when I am in that type of surrounding.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Shescrazy2 View Post
That "vacation" setting can facilitate that for me. I know how relaxed and happy I am when I am in that type of surrounding.
As I said, it's your recovery. Anything that furthers that is a plus.

Are you seeking rehab because your other attempts at recovery have failed? Just wondering what your expectations of rehab are.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Kansas is warm in the summer. Anytime in April through August. The rehab here I went to helped save my life.

Do you think may be you're just dragging your feet? Spending many, many days, beer in hand, trying to find the right rehab? The right one is the one that saves your life. Where ever it is.

Time to get on with living your life.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No, I have not tried to kick the addiction before. But I know I have a much greater chance at success being treated at an inpatient facility. I am not dragging my heals, actually. A small legal matter, which triggered my resolve to get help, must be taken care of first. Hopefully in the next two weeks.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good 90 treatment facility for men in Northwest Pa...not really warm, but your primary concern should be getting help....check out Seabrook West....great people & facility
Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know about rehab, sorry. Just wanted to welcome you to SR. This is a fantastic source of support should you choose to use it.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why don't you check out Eric Clapton's place in Antigua? Crossroads Centre. And welcome to SR.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Palm Partners in Delray Beach, FL is one...