Notices

Fell off the wagon again.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell off the wagon again.

I thought I was doing so well, and then ooops - I did it again. Photos on Facebook in a bar I don't remember going to, waking up in a strange house, lost my credit cards etc etc. Have been down this track so many times before and its getting really old.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like it's time for plan B loulylou...Glad you're here.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Lou

I remember having the very best of intentions...and then coming to a week later...many many times.

I finally discovered the key was making changes for me.
Nothing was more important than me staying sober

What do you plan to do differently this time?

D
Old 09-23-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about the setback. What types of things have you done in the past for recovery?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

this is a good time to look at why you relapsed and what you can do to prevent it in the future. something wasn't right or was missing. with it fresh in your mind, now is the time to reflect and learn. take something good from the bad. there is always a lesson to be learned. if you take something positive from the experience and apply it to your future sobriety, then you'll have empowered yourself and taken something back from the situation!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi loulylou

I'm sorry you're struggling. What have you been using so far to help with your sobriety? Is there anything you plan on changing?

Some people can get (and stay) sober entirely by themselves and others need to use methods and programs in order to achieve long lasting sobriety. Sometimes we just need a massive wake up call to push us into the 'I will no longer do this' category, which was what happened for me. I'll be honest with you: for whatever to work properly, you have to want it really, really badly. I think that's true of anything, but with quitting alcohol especially so. Temptation is everywhere if we choose to acknowledge it, and it's difficult at the beginning because we have to basically change the way we live. But it is very simple, really - all we have to do, to be sober, is to stop drinking. That may not be easy but it's very uncomplicated and if you really, really, really want it then it can be done without a struggle.

I hope you don't beat yourself up about this, because guilt is totally unproductive in achieving sobriety. Today is a new day and we cannot change the past.

Perhaps its time to add more to your plan? Avoiding certain social situations, perhaps?

Wishing you all the best x
Old 09-24-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back....Just get back on the horse....
Old 09-24-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi loulylou, I know how it feels to blackout. Just be happy its over.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Its an ingrained habit that I need to break. Mrs King is right - I'm going to have to avoid certain situations until I can firm up my resolve. Have done this on my own for long periods before - need to get my head firmly in the zone.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hiya

You can start again now at least and put the horrible night behind you
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So you learned something

Originally Posted by loulylou View Post
I thought I was doing so well, and then ooops - I did it again. Photos on Facebook in a bar I don't remember going to, waking up in a strange house, lost my credit cards etc etc. Have been down this track so many times before and its getting really old.
OK so you lapsed, you figured out again that it every single time will lead you to the same dead end, and you have admitted it. I would say things are looking up for you. Many people never get to that point, and their lives become chaotic (or unfortunately come to an end). You have caught yourself before that happens. Seems like a perfectly good time to make a real change, doesn't it? You do have the ability, and lots of resources are available to you, including hundreds of people around here who get it. Keep your chin up--you have an opportunity here to reclaim your life!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loulylou View Post
Thanks all. Its an ingrained habit that I need to break. Mrs King is right - I'm going to have to avoid certain situations until I can firm up my resolve. Have done this on my own for long periods before - need to get my head firmly in the zone.
What was the first choice you made that lead to the rest? Agreeing to go to a bar with friends even though you knew it would be tempting? Going out with friends who would push you to drink? Stopping somewhere by yourself on the way home from work? If you can learn how to recognize these choices as an invitation to the first drink, perhaps you can break that habit.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I was a blackout drinker. I got so tired of going to jail, hospitals, and strange places.

Get back up, learn from it. And get a plan...