Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

My daughter struggling with ABF; so similar to my struggles with her A father

My daughter struggling with ABF; so similar to my struggles with her A father

Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy My daughter struggling with ABF; so similar to my struggles with her A father

I am seeing my daughter, 24 yo, struggling to maintain a relationship with her ABF. It is so similar to my experience with my AH, 24 years ago. I see her going through the broken promises, disappointments of plans she has been looking forward to cancelled, avoidance of her when he is being selfish and irresponsible, her immense anger and frustration over the situation, and justifications on her part as to why he needs to cancel plans, causing her much pain. It hurts me so much to see this and understand what is going on. I feel as though I cannot impart my wisdom and experience on her, as I feel I am too close to the situation to be effective, and I don't want to "bash" her dad. I am recently separated from her dad- 6 weeks, after a 30 yr relationship. I actually really like her BF- he has a lot of good qualities, as does her father, they just both happen to be alcoholics. I am trying so hard to be supportive of her. It breaks my heart to see her in so much pain.