Notices

disappointment to myself

Old 09-23-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

disappointment to myself

Well I have messed up, I had almost a week sober, then 2 nights in a row there was massive college parties and i drank at both of them, and then today i got the trusty vodka out, i really am so disappointed in myself, I was doing well, I LOVED how i felt sober, i dont know what happened. I also know that i get into self destructive spirals when something goes wrong and i really just wanted to share here so i could possibly get through this without hurting myself anymore
thanks everyone
Old 09-23-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi pearl,

What we do right now is whats important for today and tommorow, the past is over.

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-23-2012, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi Pearl
I needed a program to get me sober, I couldn't do it on my own. Find a program that's works for you and follow it. you can do this of you want it enough.
caiHong
Old 09-23-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you both, i have been to AA twice now and I plan to go again but at college i really feel like i cannot tell anyone and EVERYONE drinks, to be honest i am still drunk from this afternoon and i feel like trash
Old 09-23-2012, 01:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's difficult when everyone around us drinks, and human nature to want to fit in. Especially in college.

Don't be so hard on yourself
Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think your quote says it all ;-)

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
- Thomas Edison

-----------

Many of us had to fail a few times to eventually succeed. You can do this if you work it & get some support.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Over the last 12 months I have tried to stop drinking several times, very much like you would last 6 days then go on a bender on the weekend which would then lead to drinking every night, but every time I relapsed it give more reason to want to do it the next time.

Everyone around me drinks, my husband, parents, parents in-laws, friends, neighbours I mean everyone and plan to tell them that last drink left me with such a bad hangover I could not move all day and I don't want to feel like that again.

Start today, go sleep off the alcohol and wake to a nice cuppa and read some more, plan how your going to get through the week.

xxx
Old 09-23-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I failed many times on the road to sobriety. I'd be so disappointed in myself and ready to give up all hope. But the people here encouraged me to not give up on myself and I tried again, and again, until I finally 'got it'. I now am going on three years sober so if I can do it, so can you!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you slipped pearl but I'm glad you're back

I had to make a lot of changes - but I really wanted to get sober.

I knew college parties weren't really the place for me to be, at the least for a while....maybe it's the same for you too?

D
Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pearl1806 View Post
i have been to AA twice now and I plan to go again but at college i really feel like i cannot tell anyone and EVERYONE drinks,
You don't have to tell anyone anything....And those meetings you'll be around people that don't drink. It's a great place to make sober friends....I know for myself that when I decided I wanted to stop for good and commit myself to it....I couldn't be around alcohol at the beginning....Forget about massive college drinking parties. It's going to take making some changes for awhile....who you hang around with and where you go....I wish you the best....Keep reading here and posting.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there Pearl!

Have you gotten the AA Big Book Yet? If not be sure to pick one up at your next AA Meeting and ask for a Sponsor as well.

I don't think there's one of us here that has not relapsed during recovery at one point or another. The worst part of relapse is hating ourselves and losing hope.

I myself am a "newbie" here also, 22 days sober today. (The longest I've been sober was about 32 days, back in March).

I kind of feel like a college student these days when I'm not working I study the programs, work out my assignments, go to AA meetings, IOP, etc... So far it's working!

As far as telling people, "My adult son's know, one of my brother's (I have 4) and 2 friends and of course my husband. My parents know I'm struggling with "depression" but not alcoholism, they don't need to know, at their age all it would do is cause them much worry.

I love that fact that AA is anonymous "What's said there , stays there"
That's very important to me/to all of us.

Keep coming back! SR is truly a God-Send!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too have tried to quit and always relapse. Today again is my first day of not drinking. I think that now im going to do it for myself first and everyone else later. I am so happy to hasve found this site.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Pearl1806, You're back now, so don't kick yourself. Just keep moving forward. There are lots of good days ahead of you.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome: midnight1 Glad to have you here too
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi pearl -

Don't get down on yourself (I know, easier said than done, especially with a hangover). You had 6 days of success and you need to give yourself credit for that..... those first days aren't easy!

I'd definitely stay away from the drinking scene, though. I know it's hard to believe right now (I had to see it for myself to believe it) but there's a whole world out there that doesn't revolve around alcohol and it feels good to be a part of that.

Hang in there and remember to take it one day at a time.....