Notices

Rehab

Old 09-22-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab

Hi all,

I have decided to enter a rehabilitation center here in India (I am western but am living with my partner in ******)
It looks like a great center, many foreigners there too and its the Minnesota model, 12 step program.

I am nervous and allowing myself to be a little hopeful. What can i expect from rehab for those of you who have attended? I will be staying for 2 months, is this considered long? Are you normally allowed to use internet etc? I would like to check in here and update as it will most likely be some of my biggest support after leaving the centre.

Thanks a million to all of you,
Anna
Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know nothing about rehab Anna - but I think it sounds like a good decision for you
best of luck

D
Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hazelden version in India..

Good stuff , get the beginning of your life on
Old 09-22-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey laana...I attended Hazeldon....The Minnesota model. It was really good. You don't need to be nervous....You'll be in good hands there. It's very structured....You meet as group every morning without councelors....You'll pick someone out of your group to chair the meetings...That will change each week. It gets you used to what AA meetings are. You share with eachother.
You'll have schedules for the week...Different classes....Meditation.....Addiction....Step related.....You'll be given a treatment plan that your councelor will give you...depending on what they think your needs are...What books...Videos you'll need. They give you plenty of time to study and we were allowed to leave the campus to go to a gym/pool near bye at certain times/days. I didn't spend much time going to the pool...And preferred to stay and study because the place would be quiet then...I live in Florida...I can go to a pool when I want....I was there to learn how to live without alcohol.
We were allowed to go to outside AA meetings after two weeks....I didn't know that and was going to meetings the first week with a lady that invited me....I didn't get too much crap for it...I was paying and it was a short discussion.
I'd recommend you start reading the Big Book now...The first 164 pages....That was my treatment plan....But either way it will help you a lot with the classes and the meetings. You'll have some great AA speakers come in....Plus councelors will share there stories....It's like going to school to learn to live without alcohol....Food was good....People were good......I got out of there after 30 days....I actually left at 18 days and jumped right into AA....I'll have 15 months sober next week. I would have stayed the 30 days but I was paying out of pocket and it saved me good money to just get into AA...I had learned a lot. Some people did 60 days...There were some there doing 90. For myself....What I did when I left there...Was the most important thing....And that was jumping into AA with both feet....It saved and changed my life.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you have any other questions...Fire away.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh...You mentioned internet...We didn't have TV in the rooms....Rooms were 2 to 4 people per apartment...2 bedrooms...2 per room. We had a break room for men and one for women that had TV and a couple computers....So we had time to get on the net.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee and Indamiracle and you Sapling, thank you so much for sharing.

I'm quite terrified and shocked in a way that I am doing this, I am mostly scared I won't be able to commit, that i will secretly plan my drinking life ones i am out. I hope they can finally make me understand I don't need to spend my every waking minute sabotaging for myself.
I find your story Sapling reassuring, I get the feeling this place is similar although in India which is different....I was also glad to read on their website that most councellors are recovering addicts themselves which makes it easier to open up for me as i am sure they can relate.
My biggest challenge will be to not worry about the future when i am there but to remember that if i manage to stay sober i can make my dreams come true whereas as i am right now I am throwing away every chances that gets in my way.

Thank you all.....love u all!
Old 09-22-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mine were all recovering addicts/alcohilics. I think the best thing for you laana...Is you will be able to get some time sober in a controlled environment....You'll start to think clearer.....Which will enable you prepare and plan what you'll do when you get out. This is a great thing for you...Take advantage of it. Once you get in there....And start meeting people there....You'll feel safe and protected. It's a good thing.