Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

A Question for Parents or Relatives of Young Alcoholics or Addicts

Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a question for those related to young or addicted alcoholics or addicts. My grandson is under 20 - one of the perceptions I have that torments me is that he seemed to have more common sense when he was 10.

His pure essence was visible (via pictures) until 10 or 11 . . .

I don't understand why things that were common sense to a ten year old, seem so far affetched (sp.?) to a young adult . . . I don't know it is it simply adolescent immaturity, alcoholism that has addled the brain, effects of trauma . . .cultural messages adopted via music and kids at school - whatever -it is very perplexing to me.

It seems like an alien has invaded his body.

Everything is an argument . . . it's really disturbing to me because I operated under an assumption that if someone is once rational and sane, they would retain that . . . I don't "get" the disordered thinking.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's well known that children's brains in their teen years are undergoing significant changes. They are deficient in many areas during this time: 1) good judgement is all but gone, 2) very impulsive w/ little regard for future consequences, 3) socially and emotionally awkward, 4) lowered ability to discern danger (fearless), 5) prone to depression and moodiness, among many other things.

The PBS did a show about it and it's still online for viewing if you're interested.

So, it's not your imagination. Your grandson probably WAS 'smarter' at 10 than he is at 20...but it won't last much longer ....hopefully. However, if you throw drug use into the mix during that time, it's hard to say if he will EVER grow up.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
It's well known that children's brains in their teen years are undergoing significant changes. They are deficient in many areas during this time: 1) good judgement is all but gone, 2) very impulsive w/ little regard for future consequences, 3) socially and emotionally awkward, 4) lowered ability to discern danger (fearless), 5) prone to depression and moodiness, among many other things.

The PBS did a show about it and it's still online for viewing if you're interested.

So, it's not your imagination. Your grandson probably WAS 'smarter' at 10 than he is at 20...but it won't last much longer ....hopefully. However, if you throw drug use into the mix during that time, it's hard to say if he will EVER grow up.
It's hard to understand because in other cultures, adolescence is not as long as it is in the U.S. - and even in the U.S., when my dad was a kid, people had to grow up and become responsible and it seems like they did that. So I have this perception that you just keep getting better and better, wiser and wiser . . .not that you regress.

I am a little familiar with the new research that says the brain doesn't fully develop (the frontal lobe?) until age 25, but I can't reconcile that with my dad's generation (who seemed so responsible) and other cultures. It is very confusing to me.