Notices

How Much Were You Drinking?

Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Much Were You Drinking?

Can some of you share how much you were drinking before you decided to stop? As I've said earlier, I currently drink 2 to 3 pints per day of 6.5% beer. Occasionally I'll have a glass of wine too. I know it's too much because I don't feel that well the next morning but I'm not sure if I'm an alcoholic.

Thank you.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started out with one glass of wine before thekids came home from school. At the end I was drinking one to three bottles of wine a day. So glad I'm sober now!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank a twelve pack a day of high content beer, or a fifth of liquor. I am a thin female.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcoholism isn't really about how much you drink, but your relationship to alcohol. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, so if you are an alcoholic, no doubt you will end up drinking more as your tolerance increases.
Let's see, I drank 1 to 2 bottles of wine, or 8 beers, or the equivalent or more in rye. Or more, on the weekends. I didn't start out drinking that much. My drinking escalated to the point where I needed it to feel normal.
I'm also a fairly small female. I rarely would actually act "drunk" with that amount of alcohol.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would drink 35cl bottle of vodka most evenings when the children went to bed. Every morning I would wake full of regret.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

15-20 "drinks" per working day... who knows how much on my days off. I thank god today that I don't have to do that anymore!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

1-1.5 bottles of wine every night during the week. On weekends I was a binge drinker so at least 3 mixed drinks (vodka) and 5+ shots of Jager (probably more like 10+ shots but I blacked out a lot towards the end).

I started out barely drinking anything...just enough to get buzzed to deal with my ex who annoyed me when he drank. I eventually turned into a weekend binge drinker that turned into the "pre-gaming" binge drinker that turned into the nightly scenario described above.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. You don't immediately start out as a full blown alcoholic -- that's why it grabs so many people unknowingly. There is no problem until the problem is so huge that it's hard to get rid of. The percentage of alcohol does not determine if you are an alcoholic either - a drink is a drink is a drink.

If you can't control it, then it's controlling you.

Edit: I lived in New Orleans, LA -- so those mixed drinks were usually half alcohol, half mixer. They don't skimp on the alcohol down here!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, it depended on how quickly I got drunk. Some nights that could take 2 bottles of wine, maybe several martinis. Other time I would be drunk after 3 beers. I just never knew what was going to happen after that first drink

I do recall one frightful night that no matter how much beer I drank, I couldn't get drunk. That was a nightmare.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I haven't quit just yet, but at my worst an 18 pack/day. Now I have 2-6, depending.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Every day was the same. Get out of work, buy a fifth of cheap vodka, put half in my travel mug, drink it on my way home, drink the rest of the fifth over the evening. Weekends drank at least a fifth starting at 6:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Zee

About a bottle of cheap vodka a day (750ml)
Can't even sniff the stuff now without feeling ill!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
About a bottle of cheap vodka a day (750ml)
Can't even sniff the stuff now without feeling ill!
My kind of girl. Good to know I am not the only fifth/750 ml a day drinker and what is even better is we are both sober
Old 09-21-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Three shots of scotch in my coffee to stop shaking, and sometimes throwing that up had to try again until I settled down. Then two beers an hour from 10-10 for a total of 24 but no stumbling and slurring, and then to cleanse my palate from a yeasty feel from too much beer, I drank some boxed wine or maybe a few scotch rocks and a water with a twist. I drank in excess of 30 units a day and rarely got above a nice buzz. But in the mornings was in very obvious withdrawals.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I started out with a glass of wine after work, which gradually went to the bottle .Seeing myself piling on the pounds i changed to vodka(homestyle measures ) with diet coke , it didnt take long till i started diluting the vodka with less and less mixer till i was drinking it neat from the bottle .
Some days half a bottle , somedays a full bottle (more days being a full plus). I dont recall how long it was till i began having hair of the dog before , during and after work.
I had so many stashed around my flat that i would sneakly drink thinking my bf would never no( of course he could tell ).
Only on 81 days sober but i feel so good .

Why not give up alcohol for 30 days give your body a detox and see how you feel .

I no im an alcoholic , that i dont and cant drink like a normal person but thats just me .

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 09-21-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can't get a buzz now now matter what I do. Annoying, but a sign.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Enough to know that it was too much and that I had a problem.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had the alcoholic's ability to truly believe that I drank less than I really did. So whatever amount I would say, probably isn't true.

I drank less than a lot of people. More than most.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I ponder what others here drink too, but I have never verbally questioned it as there is no need. If alcohol is creating negative consequences in your life, you have a problem regardless of your definition of an alcoholic and your questioning as to if you are one. An alcoholic is not defined by how much they drink surely?

I restrain from measuring my problem from the quantity that I drink and rather measure the quantity of destruction that drinking causes/has caused in my life.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

1-2 bottles of wine after work. 3 bOttles on a day off. I could drink up to four. The amount I needed to get a buzz greatly exceeded the am
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

ount to get a hangover, so I was pretty much guaranteed a hangover and needed a drink in the morning.

SFMS, I feel you. It takes so long to get a buzz now it's hardly worth the trouble. I think simple annoyance at this fact rather than grim determination has kept me 14 days from that "just one drink", because the one drink will do nothing for me.