Notices

Back from detox!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back from detox!

Hello friends,
I just got home from detox and I can't say I am feeling wonderful but am really proud of myself for going. I am okay physically (except for being tired) but I am an emotional mess. A couple of my friends want to "babysit" me so I don't drink today which I think is totally inappropriate as I am a grown woman and will do what I want regardless. The friends I haven't told (because I can't trust them not to spread it around work) have been blowing up my phone since I was away because I haven't responded to any text messages. (I did tell these people I had a family emergency and would be out of town btw). I am trying not to let it stress me out but it is. I know I need to focus on myself right now. I am already having a difficult time because it would be so easy to fall back into the same crap and I don't like these "feelings" but am going to an AA meeting in a couple hours to ask for a temporary sponser. My time in detox really spoke to me in that this is where I have been led to. Within 1 day I was physically thru withdrawals (only with 1 librium) but I felt I needed to do this to open my eyes to where my drinking has led me...into a confined situation with others like me who shared so many of my stories. And I have to say, for the first time in a really long time, I didn't feel alone and felt like I actually had people to relate to. It's going to be a long hard road but I know that there has to be a beautiful and better life waiting on the other side. My friend in AA called it a "beautiful struggle" and that makes so much sense to me. Thank you all for listening, couldn't wait to check in with all of you and let you know I completed successfully. I know detox and being in that environment was the easiest part...please wish me luck and send some prayers as I continue this journey on the outside ((hugs))
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done quitforme79!

I don't think we have spoken before but I can see that you are yet another fabulous inspirational member of SR :> and I look forward to reading every step of your next chapter towards recovery.

All the best and have a lovely eve.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I love hearing that you are doing well!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Making major changes in your life requires doing things you haven't done before. Grown woman or not, sometimes people need to get help doing things. If you had a 500 pound rock in the front yard, you wouldn't be able to move it yourself, but with several friends the rock could be moved with ease.

The journey to sobriety doesn't need to be a solitary one.

Nice to see you here - Welcome
Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
Hello friends,
I just got home from detox and I can't say I am feeling wonderful but am really proud of myself for going. I am okay physically (except for being tired) but I am an emotional mess. A couple of my friends want to "babysit" me so I don't drink today which I think is totally inappropriate as I am a grown woman and will do what I want regardless. The friends I haven't told (because I can't trust them not to spread it around work) have been blowing up my phone since I was away because I haven't responded to any text messages. (I did tell these people I had a family emergency and would be out of town btw). I am trying not to let it stress me out but it is. I know I need to focus on myself right now. I am already having a difficult time because it would be so easy to fall back into the same crap and I don't like these "feelings" but am going to an AA meeting in a couple hours to ask for a temporary sponser. My time in detox really spoke to me in that this is where I have been led to. Within 1 day I was physically thru withdrawals (only with 1 librium) but I felt I needed to do this to open my eyes to where my drinking has led me...into a confined situation with others like me who shared so many of my stories. And I have to say, for the first time in a really long time, I didn't feel alone and felt like I actually had people to relate to. It's going to be a long hard road but I know that there has to be a beautiful and better life waiting on the other side. My friend in AA called it a "beautiful struggle" and that makes so much sense to me. Thank you all for listening, couldn't wait to check in with all of you and let you know I completed successfully. I know detox and being in that environment was the easiest part...please wish me luck and send some prayers as I continue this journey on the outside ((hugs))
It might not be a bad thing for friends to come sit with you and chat and stuff to keep your mind off drinking. Not necessarily babysitting, but just being there so you don't feel bored and alone
Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Let your friends come over! Welcome back
Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beautiful quitforme79....I'm so glad it went well. Better you played it safe and it does make it more real to do that. I'm glad you have friends in AA and you're going to a meeting....Lean on them....As fred said....You don't need to do this alone...Have a great meeting and let us know how it goes...Look forward to sharing your journey with you...It's a wonderful ride!!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting through rehab. I think you should do what feels right with regards to your friends. And, good for recognizing that you need to change many things in order for this recovery to work.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Quit

D
Old 09-21-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your advice and kind words. I was trying to do this alone for so long and don't easily accept help so yeh, guess I was a bit defensive when my friends wanted to be with me to be helpful and not annoying. I am being a stubborn and I appreciate some of you pointing that out @ Anna, I know there are a ton of things I need to change. For now, I am doing that moment by moment, literally. Whatever works right? I actually went to 2 AA meetings tonight because I felt I needed to. I didn't find anyone to sponser me but I am planning on finding someone I can relate to by attending a bunch of different meetings this weekend. Thanks again to all of you for your support!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's the way you do it quitforme79 ...Pray on it....You'll know when you have the right sponsor. Good job today!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your ongoing support sapling I will pray on it tonight for sure!