Notices

Starting Day 2

Old 09-21-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Day 2

My husband and I are stopping together. We've been married for 31 years and drinking partners for 32 years. We drank on a mostly daily basis for all of these years. We didn't get sloppy drunk for most of that time, but in our younger years we could sit up until daybreak. But for the most part, we would only have a few drinks each evening to take the edge off the day, except for weekends, when we'd usually get an early start, waking up with a hangover.

In past years I've wanted to quit, but it's darn near impossible when you live with your drinking partner and he's not ready to stop. I've decided this time, whether he stays with his decision or not, I'm sticking to mine.

I'm not going to lie, I missed those drinks last night. We still had a partial bottle left in the cabinet, but I just poured it down the drain. I didn't want to be tempted by it this evening.

I can't wait to start feeling good and waking up with energy. This morning, even though I didn't drink last night, I woke up feeling sluggish. I hope it doesn't take long before I'm feeling energized. I just want to feel better and that's one of my reasons for quitting. I'm getting too old for this stuff!

Thanks for listening!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Morning Liz!
And it will be a good morning tomorrow if you don't drink tonight! I quit in June and found the first 3 - 7 days the hardest. You will feel better. It's wonderful to say I haven't felt this good in years, and I'm 55 years young Keep posting!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Liz45....I think you guys are making a great decision....I wish you both the best...Have you looked into any recovery programs to assist you?....This site is great for online support....I needed a little more than that...I use the program of Alcoholics Anonymous and the support for me was second to none.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you. My wife and I miss having drinks together too (she stopped with me as she has the capacity to stop after one or two drinks), but now we do fun and sober things together. You will find that the energy is very empowering. Keep at it, and hopefully you both with get to a place that works for you.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today is day two for me too Liz. My husband also drinks and says he is quitting to support me but we will see. We can and will do this!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats. Your doing something amazing for yourself. Keep posting and sharing.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear Liz45,

it's very nice to see you here. You will get loads of support at SR...an incredible bunch that I for one owe a lot to.

You are doing a great thing and I wish all the very best and look forward to seeing your progress as days go by.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the support so much.

Pondlady, I am going to keep in mind what you said about waking up to a good morning tomorrow. I can hardly wait! I'm nearly 49, will be next week, in fact. It will be nice to get to my 50th birthday having been sober for over a full year! That is my goal and that will be the greatest gift to myself

Thank you for the info on the first 7 days being the hardest! I'm going to keep remembering that and remembering that "this too shall pass"!

Sapling, Thank you for telling me about how the meetings have helped you! I have thought about it in years past, but could never bring myself to go to one. If I find that the online support isn't enough for me, I may consider that option. I'm very determined to make it work this time, no matter what.

Southern, I am happy for your wife and for you and it's good to know that drinking partners can stop together. I hope my husband and I will be able to push each other when one of us is having a hard day of it. (Rather than talking one another into "just one"..That part of quitting together is kind of scary, but I'm determined.)

I can't wait to feel that energy and simply feel "good" when I wake up in the mornings. I do think it will give me strength to keep working on sobriety! Thank you so much for your encouragement!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Avra, Thank you so much! I'm glad to meet someone who is on their Day 2, also! I look forward to supporting you. We can do this together! I wish the best for you and your husband both!

Mizzuno and Vall, Thank you both so much for your support! I think I've definitely come to the right place! It's nice to be able to relate to others who have been there and had success and also those going through the same struggle who are starting with you.

I can't thank everyone enough for your kind support!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Liz! Welcome to our site. Chck out our September class! Best to you!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Liz! You will never regret getting sober. You won't believe how much energy you will start to have and you will wonder why you ever drank. Quitting while your spouse is still drinking will be hard, but you can do it. Others on SR in that situation may be able to give you some advice on that.
I also recommend AA. It has quite literally changed my life. I go almost daily.
I'm in the September class so hope to see you there!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Liz
THis is my day 2 also. I also live with my drinking buddy so I know how hard it is.He is still drinking so I must be very vigilant when the drinking cravings start as I have no one to encourage me. We will encourage each other ok?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

SoberforMySon, SoberSunshine and Pookie, Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will check out the September class and see what it's all about. Thank you for the invite. If I find that I can't do this on my own and with the online support, I will probably consider meetings because I'm determined to make a real change this time.

Pookie, Thankfully my husband is working with me in trying to quit and this is the first time he's really talked about it. He's putting forth the effort with me and I'm so glad. I hope he and I both keep it up. I'm all for you and I supporting one another here, too! I look forward to it! I know you can do this because you sound determined.

It's a little past that time of evening when we usually have already cracked open the bottle. So, for a substitute, my husband picked up some peach mango green tea. I am missing the rum a little because it's been such a part of me for so long now, but I'm sipping on the tea now and it is nice to have a substitute. I'm glad I poured the rum out earlier or I would have been pretty tempted by it. I'm glad to have this tasty little substitute.

I can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning! My husband told me that waking up this morning was the best he's felt since he doesn't know when. I'm so stoked!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Goin on day 2

My drug of choice is opiates esp. Heroin.....Ive gone through withtdrawl do many times but this time has to be the last i cant keep this lifestyle up it has to change. Ill be 29 in less t han 3 weeks and want more than anything to be sober after being addicted the last 10 yrs.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Addikt, I know you've come to the right place here. I've only been here one day and have found a ton of support already.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How is Day 3 going Liz?

How is the third day going Liz? Picking up steam or feeling a little depleted?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Liz.
Just wanted to add a few words of encouragement. Next month my H and I will have been married 22 years. We met in a pub, were heavy drinkers all our time together and quit for good nearly 4 months ago.
The difference it has made to our relationship just cannot be put into words.
We are truly happy and strong and sober.
The early days may be tough but keep going...it really is worth it x
Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Southerner! Thank you for asking. I actually had a restless night, but went back to bed and slept a couple more hours. Just got ready and dressed for the day and I'm feeling really good!!! How are you today?

Jeni, Thank you for your support, also! WTG on 4 months sober for you and yours! I feel so encouraged to hear stories like yours! I love your signature, btw.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liz45 View Post
Hi Southerner! Thank you for asking. I actually had a restless night, but went back to bed and slept a couple more hours. Just got ready and dressed for the day and I'm feeling really good!!! How are you today?

Jeni, Thank you for your support, also! WTG on 4 months sober for you and yours! I feel so encouraged to hear stories like yours! I love your signature, btw.
I am so happy to hear things are progressing okay, but I do sympathize with the restlessness at night. Sleeping for the first week is just so problematic and it makes you just want a little nightcap to "make some sleepiness happen." Trust me, when you get to week 3 and beyond your body will reward you with really nice sleep. Exercise I have found is key. I cycle quite a bit, but it does not need to be that intense. A nice long walk at sunset is so fulfilling. Give that a try tonight, and if you do enjoy the fact that you are clear headed, can appreciate all the life around you that you overlooked while drinking, and that you will wake up tomorrow with no ill effects. You will get there!

Please keep posting your status, as I really do know how hard that first week is. I will keep cheering you on.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you for the tips Southerner. I will use your advice and take that walk this evening.

I've had a problem sleeping for a long time now, which I attributed to the alcohol, but I'm glad to hear that a restful sleep is coming soon. I can hardly wait!

Thank you so much and I will keep you updated! Hearing the success stories from you and others is more helpful than I can express!