Notices

With the money I saved on drinks or drugs...

Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

With the money I saved on drinks or drugs...

Ever think about this. WOW. A sobering thought, how much I have now. That expensive dog collar of silk is in my reach. Or gas to visit my mom. Wow!!!! Share yours.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I am picking up crap at the kennel, I am thinking of money, not how much beer I can get for it... Woohoo!!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, and I think now a new pair of Converse, my fAvorite shoes, might be entering my sober life. Woot! Omg. How much I pissed away on beer... It's disturbing.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey SFMS,

I care not for the money I have spent on booze but only the cost I have spent in damage to my bodily organs. I value my body and my life far greater than any currency. At the end of the day our life is far more valuable than material wealth.

Yes I have spent a lot on booze, but I care not I have a healthy body that will give me another chance.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right now the money I am saving on booze...Is being put in my gas tank, so that I am able to make the 100 mile round trip to Rehab 3 X a week.

I'm glad I'm going and it's worth every dime I'm putting into it. I'd rather spend it this way and reap the benefits, then to destroy myself with "the bottle" any longer.

Still have 4 weeks of IOP, I imagine it's gonna cost me close to 5 or $600 by the time it's all over with, (not to mention the cost of rehab that our insurance doesn't pay.)

However, I think of the Loreal commercial...( "because I'm worth it!") And I know I am.
We all are worth whatever it takes to get us sober and live a fulfilling life!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Absolutely our life is worth more. But still fun to have this extra money to spend on GOOD things, like a new collar for my dog or a toy for my son. Just a happy reminder, that's all.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm right with you SFMS, we need all the positives we can think of!! I actually bought myself a glass top dining room table set a couple of weeks ago as a "reward." With the money I would have been spending on booze, I keep a supply of frozen fruit for a smoothie each morning before work. Talk about a sweet healthy sugar fix, and it also has helped curve my alcohol cravings a little.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've bought a few things for my house and I am saving the money to buy my daughter a flute. She has played for three years and has been borrowing a school flute. I hope to upgrade her's soon.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My life is totally worth it! I am spending most of my extra money on IOP rehab as well. However, I do think about the money I have been saving and I have been treating myself. I just got my nails and hair done which I haven't done in a long time when I wasn't taking care of myself

My life is the best gift I could ever ask for! However I still think it is important to treat yourself for getting help and getting sober!!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My son told me he'd like piano lessons. So I'm totally going to channel all that wine money into that! It just makes my heart sing--I loved the piano when I was young. Heck, maybe I'll start playing again too.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

This is part of that feeling of self respect coming back-the world is now filled with possibilities. Since we have gotten sober and quit drinking, achieved victory and a new life without alcohol, what else can we do? Onward!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

spa treatments
Old 09-21-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well.....I have to admit to a little "retail therapy" with my savings It is a happy reminder!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not drinking is helping to pay off those darn credit card bills just a little faster.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

SFMS, I wrote this in an old post. We think alike. It's great to have cash!

I use a rating system like they do when looking at a restaurant guide. Those $$$ to show how expensive or cheap it was going to be.

My drinking / drugs weekend:
Drugs - $$$$$$
Alcohol - $$$$
Drug extras like cigarettes and paraphernalia - $$
Food - 0
Total-$$$$$$$$$$$$

Since making a real effort to remain abstinent I decided that for this weekend we would spend the equivalent of the money we never had when we spent it on "those"*things.

My sober weekend:
Dinner at a decent place - $$
Groceries for the week - $$
New clothes for work - $$
New shoes for work - $
Breakfast and lunch out again - $$
Total - $$$$$$$$

Ahhhh... It's great to hear the jingle of coin in the pocket!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Since joining in June and despite many falls off the wagon we now have a completely redecorated bathroom, shower and all that goes with it, a new dining table that is just luuurvely and perfect for the 3 of us, a new stunt scooter for my son... so many odds and ends and treats... just today I spent £20 on a decent wrist splint as the doc told me I have carpal tunnel syndrome this morning. Pah. Normally I would have hit the off license and not the chemist

Eldest is 15 in Nov, then there's that little thing called Christmas, and DD will be 4 in Jan. They've never gone without and in fact have always been a bit spoiled in getting everything they want, but this year I won't have to rob Peter to pay Paul Makes me sound like a crap mum
Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Man, you are not crap!!! Stay strong, and enjoy!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me it's about facing the debts I have run up, looking about 5k or more I reckon. So as much as I'm not going to see the saving in the bank at the moment I'm not going to be increasing my debts.

Well done to you all some fab
Old 09-21-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to some positive financial results because of quitting (on day 2 of sobriety). I'll get back to you on this subject because I love this positive post!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Not only can I use the money now on my guitar purchases and lessons, but I am getting much better at playing because I'm not practicing drunk.