Notices

I Struggle, But Want To Help

Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Struggle, But Want To Help

Tell me something awesome about life. Yours, or in general. Just something awesome. I need this. What's awesome in my world? Kid. Dogs. Tell me about your joys, what makes you get up every day? Knitting? A pet ? A lover? Anything. Help me out here. Remind me what's real.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I wake up every day, blessed to be no longer enslaved to alcohol, as I was for 35 years. For me, that is the most awesome thing, because when I was drinking, any and every aspect of my life, no matter how great it looked, was diminished by my drinking.

Sober, the most minor aspect of my life is joyful.

Just what exactly are you struggling with today?

What lengths are you willing to go to free yourself from your struggle?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In a nut shell, irrational fear. Can't shake it. It rules me.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today, I am grateful for being sober another day. I am grateful for my pets, my spouse, who is supportive of my recovery. I am grateful to still be alive after all the times I drank enough alcohol to kill me. I am grateful that sometimes someone here on SR sends me a little message of support. Take care of yourself...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

But the fact that you are aware that it is irrational fear means that you have rationalised it in some way which is good!

Do you dance :?

What do you like doing SFMS?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's anxiety.

You know what will help? And it's not frightening at all?

Relaxation (mp3 player, ipod.. anything you can listen with earphones on) - look for Charles Linden method. It's fantastic - any relaxation, meditation, hypnotherapy.
Diet - cut out all foods that cause anxiety (google anxiety foods)
Water - drink as much as you can (dehydration causes anxiety)
Water - splash cold on your face, then hot, then cold.. to give you a distraction
Walking, running..
Vitamins...

... honestly! Look after your body and it will look after your mind xx
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to love online chat, discussions, dog shows, big dog topic debates on forums, rescue work, fostering dogs... Gave it all up with this depression. Too scared to care about anything.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love water...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Some awesome things...feeling like you have found your soul mate and such a thing exists...pets-the love they bring to life is simply amazing...friends that are with you through good and bad...beautiful crisp fall days and winding country roads...live music...time spent by the ocean...photography to capture the special moments in life...

Waking up with no hangover and no questions about last night is awesome too!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh wow, I love all those things!!M!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Please don't cave in - you only get one life and you can genuinly have a good one.

The bad times will pass.. they don't go on forever, honestly they don't . As much as we feel at rock bottom sometimes...

.. ask yourself... how many times have you feared something.... so badly it's messed you right up... but how often has that 'thing' that has terrified you .. happened?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Zee

My little dog is pregnant (I think you already know this) I sat for about an hour today watching her pups kicking her tummy. That was a relaxation for me (I suffer from anxiety, it took my mind off things for a while
Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very true, and Zee that would be bliss!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

What's awesome in your life? That you are here, and able to talk via the Internet with me across the globe! A Modern miracle, and one that got you here to deal with your issues amongst friends.

What is awesome about my life? My Goodness everything! I have shelter and have dumped alcohol in favor of freedom and peace! I have two sons who despite my later in life alcoholism grew to be two great men, who married well even if it took my oldest twice. I have been blessed by not only life, but my wonderful wife of many years. She is still trapped by alcohol but might get free too one day. I don't forget the wonder of her for a moment even if she does not. I have the ability to get up and go. And the wonder of an ant and his buddies still gets me down to watch. My pups are my joy, there are pics of them on my profile album. They never let me think I was not missed even if I leave for only a few minutes. I have had it all and gave it up for peace with her agreement twice in our lives. Not because we had to but because we did not want to give up our lives and time for riches. We evened out in the comfortable middle, and are happy here.

In my mind, (or what is left of it <grin>)I remember how when the proverbial excrement hit the rotating surfaces that it seemed to be rough at the time and all of those struggles seem like the best of times in hindsight. It is fearful when you slay dragons, but when you survive? Nobody ever felt victorious for easy stuff. I don't have regrets for what I did even if wrong. I have some regrets for things I did not do when I could.

Whenever I feel like you feel now I go watch the things that buzz, fly, grow, swim and burrow.

I noticed this morning that about a hundred mushrooms grew up overnight in the fenced backyard and am now about to go and see them and wonder. I wish I knew which are edible and not, but will never try. It is enough to see all the varieties after we finally got rain for several days.

You don't need money or things to regain your childlike sense of wonder at the critters that surround us. Start there maybe?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree. There is delight nd wonder in the world, and to lose sight of that is to lose out indeed. I love the woods, the nature and walks. Your post is a joy. And we are neighbors... I am in AL
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I woke this morning sober , a miracle to be thankful for.

I went to work and did a days graft in engineering, whilst at work i was able to contact my broker online and place a series of leveraged puts and calls and made myself some money .. amazing a working class guy like me can be involved in powerful financial engineering .

I saw a cat basking in the sun he was lovely ,

i saw someones 3 or 4 year old child running along going laAAA laAAA laAA that was sweet and funny,

I drove home safely and tried to be courtieous to others , spread some good karma.

I recieved a dividend from some shares, it's nice to know someone is employing others and making use of the money i'd have drank away in the old days .

I am planning on making an album of music with a friend, before i'd have been to drunk hungover to bother .

One of the apprentices i have been teaching for 4 years has finnished this week and is now a craftsman , in some small way maybe some of my skills and knowledge will live on .

My bed is nice and comfy and i have a good book to read

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All super!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love to watch my dogs sleeping on the rug, dreaming, resting, and living the good life. Walking my dogs is a great delight for me too. But the number one thing is waking up feeling good and ready for the day.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was given the opportunity, when I had my two children to give them love from a mother, that can never be replaced. Alcove that is thought to have been taught, but must instinctual. I lost my mother at age 4, my son was born on what would have been her 50th birthday. There are signs all around, just look for them, they will appear. My mother is guiding me to be the type of mother she would have been to me. And it will happen even better, now that I am sober
Old 09-20-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post
I agree. There is delight nd wonder in the world, and to lose sight of that is to lose out indeed. I love the woods, the nature and walks. Your post is a joy. And we are neighbors... I am in AL
Well howdy Neighbor! You got some of those awesome storms too then that hit us with some wonderful rain after a completely dry summer here. I know you guys are not in the drought area, that was just over here in E Texas and NW Louisiana. I have thousands of mushrooms everywhere and have to go and mow the property. That takes most of the day. I love the smell of fresh cut grass, and the smell of mushrooms cut too. Before I mow I go and use my cart to pick up any fallen branches and other things to throw in the burn pile, and that is when I stop to marvel at whatever. I also let my spiders be unless they are inside and dangerous. I haven't had the giant green writing spiders around since the drought began. Still have lots of chameleons and skinks all over the place. Get outside woman, they are all waiting for ya!