can't tell you it's easy
I feel anguish too

I'm here to support you
my love has no end
I stand in the distance
to welcome you friend

Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beautiful.....Thank you for that! It makes me think of my brother.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My sister and I were drinking partners, and we knew no limit. My other sister is an occasional drinker. I always called my sister up when I've had too much and you can guarantee she's had too much also that day. It hurts when I have to redefine our relationship each time I try to make a change. I keep praying I can still be there for her without getting sucked back in the chaotic life.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it's lovely. It touched me too x
Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KaeHot323 View Post
I keep praying I can still be there for her without getting sucked back in the chaotic life.
That's all either one of us can do. I'll add a prayer for your sister.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like my sister and I. She use to hide her drinking from our Mom and always thought I was "cool" and her secret was safe with me because I drank too. I went thru normal young adult party life, was sober for 14 years then got divorced and went back to "party" lifestyle. Drinking on weekends, sometimes to excess. I have been surrounded by alcoholics my whole life and if anything I was a problem drinker.

My sister lives across country and I believe did so to isolate herself so she could drink. I have little contact with her because she's ALWAYS drunk. Our mom is dying and has been asking my sister to get help as her "dying wish". I talked to my sister Friday and she was going into detox that morning. She told me in her last attempt to detox at home alone she suffered numerous seizures and haloucinations, ect......I'm scared for my sister and heartbroken that it had gotten so bad. She was sober for 16years and then moved to "Sin City". I hope she can do it. At least give my mom some peace until she passes.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This must be a truly emotional experience. This thing has damaged so many lives, and even recovering alcoholics can never say they are restored to how they were before they became alcoholics. I will be thinking of your sister and hoping she recovers. All we can do is hope for the best. Thanks for sharing and letting me know there is always someone who relates, no matter how alone we may feel at times.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KaeHot323 View Post
and even recovering alcoholics can never say they are restored to how they were before they became alcoholics.
I don't even know who I was... I'm 33 years old and cannot remember a day past 20 that alcohol didn't influence my life.

Thank you, that was wonderful.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kaehot,

This is such a painful sickness. And baffeling to those of us who truely have no concept of the meaning behind "I need a drink". I know those words passed my lips hundreds of times, but I really have no idea what it must be like to really need a drink.

I had to step away from my sister, it was just too painful and pissed me off so bad that she couldn't see the insanity she was causing in her life, and her children's lives. My mom was drunk from before I was born, which was my biggest motivator to me to always be self aware about my drinking. I didn't want that for my daughter. Mom went to rehab when I was 18. I'm 41 now and she has not touched a drop since the day she went to rehab. My brother was drunk for 15 years and has not had a drink in the last 20 years. My sister had sobriety for 16 years. There is hope, I've seen it. But it is a very cunning disease and they must be diligent in their desire for sobriety.

I'm glad you've seen your truth, and have started your journey to freedom. That's what sobriety is, freedom. And you must guard it against everyone, including those you love. It's hard to cut out our families, but necessicary not only for our own sanity, but it's really the best thing we can do for them as well. I will pray for your family. God is good. There is a purpose for all He does, a lesson in everything, although sometimes very painful lessons.