Love him to death

Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Love him to death

I am seaking help i am a girlfriend of an alcoholic of ten yrs we have two kids i ve tried everthing i can to help him but he is denial tring to fine ways to help myself deal with it without letting it tear my family apart i attented first al-anon last night which helped i know theres not much i can do but want to be at ease myself
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Welcome here to SR, DanielleT! Keep coming back, reading and posting. Saw your blog posts too.

Love isn't enough. We need detachment with love, or compassion and taking care of ourselves instead of the A. You've probably been through this already, and seen that it doesn't work:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...st-us-did.html

Go to Al-Anon meetings, different groups too; as many as you can get in a week! Work the program and all its tools: meetings, sponsor, reading, contacts with other members between meetings, writing, meditation, etc

It Works, If We Work It!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I would start at the beginning which for me was reading the invaluable book by Melodie Beattie - "Codependent No More".

Great start! Alanon is a good place for you!

The one thing we don't want to do is to "love them to death". :-) Because what we actually need to do to help them is the hardest action we may ever take. The exact opposite of what we feel. We have to allow them to fall so that they can learn from their mistakes, to fully realize that addiction can and does kill. It's a journey . . .
Old 09-20-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Yes, you may love him to death...as...love cannot resolve addiction, love can kill.

Have you read Codependent No More? How about all the stickeys in the Family & Friends Forums...and...read others posts and keep posting yourself.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

I'm glad you are here, but sorry for the reason that brought you here. Please feel free to read and post as much as needed.

The sticky posts at the top of this main forum page contain some of our stories and loads of wisdom.

This is one of my favorite sticky posts. It contains steps that helped me while I was living with active alcoholism:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pelican, thank you for posting that.

So powerful!