Notices

Food help for those just quitting

Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Food help for those just quitting

I am reading a lot about Day 1, 2, or 3 folks, and I thought it might be nice for those of us who are past the initial withdraw to suggest some of the food items/meals that really help with those first few days. Excessive drinking does rob your body of nearly all the important life-sustaining nourishments (vitamins, etc.), and the only way to get past the shakes, sweats, and anxiety is to put food into your body, so your body can then use the food to repair.

I like this one: granola (or your other favorite healthy cereal) in a bowl, covered with Greek yogurt (doesn't have to be Greek though that has more wonderful protein), sliced bananas, dried cranberries, raw almonds, and then drizzled with clover honey. If you don't like the mostly dry granola at the bottom, add a tiny bit of milk to moisten that. MMMMMM! Sweet sticky goodness that gives your body lots of energy, protein, and vitamins!

What would you recommend for these folks in order to have something both tasty and nourishing?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Food is definitely a huge factor - HALT - first letter stands for HUNGRY. I always keep a few protein bars and a bottle of water with me. I make sure to eat something in the morning, have a good lunch and dinner. As far as specifics, I'm sure it varies. Personally I'm not much on sweets or sweet things. I'm far more into savory and spicy and big on flavor. Don't think it much matters as long as you eat when you're having cravings and are hungry. I had a toasted, buttered bagle for breakfast with my coffee. Lunch is going to be the rest of the pizza I made last night. Not sure yet what I'm cooking for dinner.

Here is a recipe that is very easy and tastes great and makes enough for several days or a bunch of people:

German Potato Salad

Ingredients:

8 oz bacon (semi-frozen - easier to cut) sliced & diced

3-6 green onions (scallions) sliced thin

2/3 cup malt vinegar
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
3 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp powdered dry mustard
1/2 tsp crushed dried rosmary

2 qts sliced potatoes

Preparation:

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from heat & remove bacon from pan (leave fat) Add onion to bacon fat left in pan.

Combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, flour, pepper, mustard, rosmary. Stir into bacon fat/onions. Cover and simmer on very low heat until onions are soft and mixture is just starting to thicken.

Boil potatoes till just cooked (do not overcook). Strain in collander and immerse in cold water till cold. Drain and chill in fridge.

Once very cold pour sauce over potatoes, cover and return to fridge. Best if left to meld for 24 hr. or more.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dioralyte sachets are wonderful for anxiety and for hangovers and withdrawal. I don't know what they call them in America, but they are basically diarhoeaa rehydration sachets. They contain potassium and salts, what is lost from dehydration...

.. as for foods. Anything low GI.

Porridge is a good breakfast, bacon and eggs, I like alot of Cheese...